Wireless music streaming at home

Flex

Looking to buy something like this to stream music from lappy/phones etc:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming/denon/dnp720ae/deno-dnp720-blk

Anyone doing anything similar at present? Looking for a unit that I could get some relatively cheap speakers for now but upgrade at some point in the future.

Any help as ever much appreciated!

Sonos... that is all I will say on the matter.

Play3 or Play5 with a bridge... you can then buy as many as you want all around the home, setup zones etc.

Can control your entire house, from android/iphone apps, or buy the dedicated remote (which is quite expensive).

Edited by ThriftyFifty

I've got one of these:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/belkin-bluetooth-music-receiver-15-75-delivered-amazon-gomemory-1032475

I paid about £18 for it last year.

Just got a standard 3.5mm jack socket on it to plug it into a set of speakers or into a stereo's AUX port. Any device with bluetooth can then connect to it in seconds and it plays all sound via your speakers then. Great for playing music from the iPad or my phone.

For £18 the quality is to be expected... i'd say its 7 or 8 out of 10, but as a cheap solution its totally worth it. However if you're a connoisseur you will want something with better quality (the treble via bluetooth seems to high).

I found it easier to just connect my hi-fi to my PC by cables via the Aux port. Considering my PC is fitted with a generic built in soundcard and my internet is only 3mb it works really well for things like youtube. I can also play music through the hi-fi from any of the PC's including Wi-fI laptops through the router and dual speed hubs I've got setup at home.

Pete

Sonos looks good but dont seem to support Amazon cloud player in the UK yet which wouldnt be ideal but then if I can stream from lappy then not such an issue, I'll see if I can take my lappy to Richer sounds and get it connected/tested out.

Airport express- Apple - not got itunes so thinking probably not.

The blue tooth dongle looks good but not sure about quality, I'm not overly picky but would like to know I was getting the best quality I could for my set up.

The market seems saturated with different products!

Usually use AirPlay, but am in the middle of converting everything to stream via Raspbmc instead on my RPi. Have tested the setup and it works fine, just need to purchase the NAS for it now and transfer. Will be using UnRAID for it, works best for my needs.

Had a similar issue up till last week, when i got a B+W A5 Airplay speaker to go in my kitchen.

I currently stream music from either my phone or the Mac laptop to my hifi in the living room. I do this via Apple TV, which is a great bit of kit. I also have Airport Express which im not using yet, but do intend to at some point. I looked at he Sonus kit and its very good. However, if you already wirelessly stream your music via Wifi, then you need another bit of kit called the Sonus Connect. Turned out to be very expensive, so in the end opted for the A5, as I know B+W kit is very well built, sounds great, and is stylish to look at. The Sonus stuff is very good if you are starting from scratch, but if you just want to extend the music to a different room, then its more complicated and more expensive.

Mac Mini & PC connected to NAS drive, best thing is that way you can stream music, video anything you like.

Also check out audiogalaxy, completely free and allows you to stream your music wherever you have 3G or wifi and is completely free. I have unlimited data on my iPhone5 so anywhere I have a signal I have a 350GB iPhone :cloud9:

Mac Mini & PC connected to NAS drive, best thing is that way you can stream music, video anything you like.

Also check out audiogalaxy, completely free and allows you to stream your music wherever you have 3G or wifi and is completely free. I have unlimited data on my iPhone5 so anywhere I have a signal I have a 350GB iPhone :cloud9:

Sounds pretty cool, but WTF is an NAS drive?