newbie tyre questions - help?

pdg32

I think the problem is with all the doom mongers on here who hardly even drive their Zeds :lol:

It's chucking it down outside and I am off to work in my Zed on 20k old rear tyres, will I crash and burn.... No....

I'm making a point of buying the worst brand I can when I replace the tyres on the TT.......then again it's not really fast enough to cause any grief!

:doh: This thread is getting funny. :lol:

I think you need to stop taking peoples exact words as literal, they are just opinions after all.

It sounds like someone has scared you with tales of this RWD car killing you in winter. The Zed wont kill you as soon as it gets cold, wet or snowy with any tyre on it if you DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS. However, as a rule, you want to get the best tyres you can afford.

First things you need to decide is your budget and whether you want two complete sets of tyres. (one for summer and one for winter) Obviously this would mean either having two sets of wheels or changing all your tyres twice a year.

None of the tyres listed will be good in the snow as they are not winter tyres, but how often will you drive in snow?

As said above - If you can afford it, go for MPSS, RE050A or Goodyear Eagle F1 They are all great tyres that will be 'fine' in winter conditions, Good in the wet and brilliant in summer.

The thread 'driving in the snow' made for rather worrying reading, if you must know. That's why I was trying to explore the options, sorry if the obsession was too much for you? :shrug:

I won't be able to afford 2 sets of tyres, so I guess that when the time comes, I will invest in the MPSS. As for the winter - I don't really want to think about it, guess I will just have to pray. Being used to FWD all the time and having heard horror stories from BMW and other rwd owners, I'm a bit worried, yes. I know how to drive in snow in FWD, just wondering how much more difficult it will be in a powerful rwd car.

You'll be fine. :console: As long as you drive sensibly.

I think before you start worrying any more about it, you should first go out and find yourself a nice zed to buy.

Once you get behind the wheel it'll all make sense.

It is not a high powered car in stock form and its power is very linear and predictable so I would be surprised if it took you by surprise unless you were driving beyond your talent.

Once you've got one get on a driving day or find yourself a PRIVATE bit of land/carpark and explore the limits of the car.

You'll wonder what all the fuss was about and start to really enjoy it. :D

:drive1

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

There is a lot of different opinions on here from people who drive the car a lot to mostly a 2nd car ...so heres my 2 bob lol...

I drive it as a daily car and I mean DAILY (think 18K+ a year) and although only had it a few months, I've got Falken 452's on mine and they do the job just fine! Even in torrential rain, as long as your not stupid, solid as a rock. Winter wise, well, not so sure... during a bit of icy/snowy road the brief few days we got it, the Zed got up a minor hill no bother, next day same conditions..wasn't having it ... :shrug: lol. When they need to be replaced I think I'm right in saying 452s are hard to find now? So will end up looking for their replacement and see how good they are...

TBH you won't know really til' you buy tyres yourself...then you'll go... they were good or...they were crap i'm not getting them again... lol

Really the point here is to drive to the condition and drive within the limits of the tyre!

I bought my zed in October and the previous owner has fitted budget tyres (I have looked on camskill etc and they are £55 a corner, I can't find cheaper). Yes they spoil the enjoyment of the car but I wouldn't say it feels like I'm gonna crash everytime I drive the car, I simply drive within my boundaries of talent and within the limits of the tyre.

In the new year I will upgrade to RE050's probably or MPSS depending on prices or deals I can find at the time.

As said, purchase a car first and go from there.

Edited by Pnthrblkzs

Really the point here is to drive to the condition and drive within the limits of the tyre!

I bought my zed in October and the previous owner has fitted budget tyres (I have looked on camskill etc and they are £55 a corner, I can't find cheaper). Yes they spoil the enjoyment of the car but I wouldn't say it feels like I'm gonna crash everytime I drive the car, I simply drive within my boundaries of talent and within the limits of the tyre.

In the new year I will upgrade to RE050's probably or MPSS depending on prices or deals I can find at the time.

As said, purchase a car first and go from there.

+1 :thumbs:

:doh: This thread is getting funny. :lol:.

So was the other one. I think this guy is a troll.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As you drew first blood, here's my 2 cents. It's arrogant scum like you who give car forums like this a bad name. The type who always put newbies seeking advice (albeit sometimes overkeen, but what's wrong with that) down all the time. Take your insults and your advice elsewhere.

As you drew first blood, here's my 2 cents. It's arrogant scum like you who give car forums like this a bad name. The type who always put newbies seeking advice (albeit sometimes overkeen, but what's wrong with that) down all the time. Take your insults and your advice elsewhere.

H'mmmm

Acutally you insulted Shinjuku, he never insulted you. Scum? But harsh.

whatever - clearly you can't read then, if that's your opinion. scroll through the threads and check the order (whilst learning to spell)

people like him aren't worth dealing with (so i've been told when complaining to several people a lot 'higher' than him in terms of posts)

Edited by pdg32

whatever - clearly you can't read then, if that's your opinion. scroll through the threads and check the order (whilst learning to spell)

people like him aren't worth dealing with (so i've been told when complaining to several people a lot 'higher' than him in terms of posts)

LOL! like post count makes you any "higher". I think I actually agree with him now you are just a troll. Why should I check through posts because your a little a girl? Grow up.

LOL! like post count makes you any "higher". I think I actually agree with him now you are just a troll. Why should I check through posts because your a little a girl? Grow up.

when did you never agree with him? i think you are the one who needs to grow up - as said from the beginning, he drew first blood, if you had read the posts properly then perhaps you would be able to come to such a simple conclusion.

The Bridgestone REO40's I had were awful, the RE050's I'm lead to believe are significant improvement over those. The RE050A's are said to be even better than the RE050's, so if you want to stick to Bridgestone then I would be tempted to go for those.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are a favourite of quite a few of the guys here for their excellent grip and consistent handling, although I believe the side wall can be a little on the softer side. You'll also find that there are quite a few members who go for the Falken 452's (myself included) as a decent mid-range tyre as well as those who use and rate Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

As for swapping from one tyre manufacturer to another that's a personal thing, will you notice the difference, well possibly. Will swapping from the Bridgestones to another tyre maker (Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear etc) ruin you car, well no, it's not going to make the car totally unstable and unusable unless perhaps if you go for mega budget tyres.

I use the Falkens and like them, although I'm tempted to try the RE050A's next time. I run 19/35/245 and 19/35/275 so not the standard wheel tyre config. I know that the Michelin / Bridgestone are a superior tyre and perhaps I will treat myself to some in the new year. However, a new rear for me if I buy a Falken 452 is £180 a tyre, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is going to cost £309 per tyre, REO50A = £341 per tyre (prices from Black Circles) so that's another thing you have to weigh up.

I like the Falken's because I can feel when they start to go, I can sense when they're losing that in inherent grip and I then know within 2-3000 miles I will need to change them. For you it might be totally different, what I would say is buy the best tyres you can afford and try to avoid mixing tyres if you possibly can, it's generally a bad idea

I can proberbly get all those tyres sizes of yours in 050a's for under £1k fitted!

Oh dear.... I did say earlier in this thread and the other that you (the op) were getting way over the top worrying about what tyres for what conditions and which are best etc etc etc.... you have had plenty of opportunities to say thanks very much and thats that but you keep on and on and on about tyres in both threads so I'm not surprised some members have had enough....

Biting back with abuse is not the way, you were called a troll with good reason I was beginning to think the same to be honest....

Laugh it off and join a friendly, funny, helpful forum.... or take your abuse and lovely personality elsewhere, your choice :thumbs:

• Like 1

Iv'e just been quoted under £200 inc VAT fitted for either REO50As or MPPSs on standard rear Rays :thumbs:

Always gone for the Bridgys but tempted to go for the MPPSs fir just a few £ more.... it will mean running different rears to fronts for a few K so goodbye cruel world :surrender:

Iv'e just been quoted under £200 inc VAT fitted for either REO50As or MPPSs on standard rear Rays :thumbs:

Always gone for the Bridgys but tempted to go for the MPPSs fir just a few £ more.... it will mean running different rears to fronts for a few K so goodbye cruel world :surrender:

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Bought some second hand Rays Alloys and the front wheels had on some nearly new Nexen tyres. I can't wait until they wear out and I can get back to the more expensive Potenzas. Cannot say I notice any appreciable difficulty in handling...but much more road noise...grrr.

Right I think enough advice has been offered in answer to the OP's question.

There are countless threads on here about which tyre is best for ZED and there will never be a consensus as so many factors can affect opinions.

Irrespective of the tyres chosen it will always come back to how you exercise your right foot that will be the greater 'undoing' on the road.

On that note the thread is closed