newbie tyre questions - help?

pdg32

Hi all,

Have spent some time reading the tyre posts on here.

I have read elsewhere that changing the tyres on the zed away from the RE050 Bridgestone fitment is not a good idea as the stock tyres are set up for the car's handling dynamics and traction control system, and that changing to other manufacturers can upset these traits - is there any truth in this?

A mate told me that Bridgestone tend to be quite 'hard compound' tyres - same with the Pirellis he had on his Leon, and that when he changed to Goodyear F1's he found these to be far better in the wet and at lower temps (though this was on a Leon Cupra R, also one of my favourite cars). but what about the zed - can anyone advise?

Can someone confirm the standard wheel sizes - is it 18 all round, or do some zeds have 18 fronts and 19 rears? If so, which ones?

And the 245/45/18 / 225/45/18 - these are the sizes that the car is set up for? Some on here say the lower 40 profile helps with responsiveness (though not sure a novice like me would notice that if a tiny difference)?

Cheers

pdg

18's are standard, Bridgestone RE050's are fine, it's the cheaper RE040's that are horrid, if you are new to the car then best advice would be stay with the original setup and to be honest the RE050's are a pretty good starting point. :) Dan will be along soon :teeth:

• Like 1

a lot of people plugging the MPSS which sound amazing - but what differences would there by swapping over from one manufacturer to another? yes, i will be totally new to the car :blink:

a lot of folks trying this and that, just wondered how this would affect the handling and TCS as I had read that one shouldn't change from the RE050s

are the stock tyres any good in the wet? if they are harder compound (as bridgestone often are) then i'm guessing not so hot.

Edited by pdg32

The Bridgestone REO40's I had were awful, the RE050's I'm lead to believe are significant improvement over those. The RE050A's are said to be even better than the RE050's, so if you want to stick to Bridgestone then I would be tempted to go for those.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are a favourite of quite a few of the guys here for their excellent grip and consistent handling, although I believe the side wall can be a little on the softer side. You'll also find that there are quite a few members who go for the Falken 452's (myself included) as a decent mid-range tyre as well as those who use and rate Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

As for swapping from one tyre manufacturer to another that's a personal thing, will you notice the difference, well possibly. Will swapping from the Bridgestones to another tyre maker (Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear etc) ruin you car, well no, it's not going to make the car totally unstable and unusable unless perhaps if you go for mega budget tyres.

I use the Falkens and like them, although I'm tempted to try the RE050A's next time. I run 19/35/245 and 19/35/275 so not the standard wheel tyre config. I know that the Michelin / Bridgestone are a superior tyre and perhaps I will treat myself to some in the new year. However, a new rear for me if I buy a Falken 452 is £180 a tyre, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is going to cost £309 per tyre, REO50A = £341 per tyre (prices from Black Circles) so that's another thing you have to weigh up.

I like the Falken's because I can feel when they start to go, I can sense when they're losing that in inherent grip and I then know within 2-3000 miles I will need to change them. For you it might be totally different, what I would say is buy the best tyres you can afford and try to avoid mixing tyres if you possibly can, it's generally a bad idea

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

18's are standard, Bridgestone RE050's are fine, it's the cheaper RE040's that are horrid, if you are new to the car then best advice would be stay with the original setup and to be honest the RE050's are a pretty good starting point. :) Dan will be along soon :teeth:

And as if by magic...!

Graham's right, I'd probably stick with the RE050As in 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 fitments. Very good tyres, they do suit the car well and will last a while too without compromising on performance. :)

Don't get too worried about what tyres come with which car from the factory though, as a lot of that will be down to which tyre company pays the most money to the manufacturer to put their tyres on the car. If we're talking very high-end stuff like a Zonda or a Veyron then yes, I'd absolutely stick with what they came out with, but anything else is fair game and down to the individual.

OK - but how do the Pilot Super Sports compare with the RE050A in the wet? is the bridgestone a harder compound tyre?

it's wet grip that will be a factor in deciding when the time comes.

can anyone explain why some reviews say to stick with the RE050A and that changing to other manufacturers can affect the TCS and handling etc? as the car is set up to those tyres?

i've read that the michelins are probably superior, or is this not the case? so many plugging them on here. i just want to know how this would affect the car's tcs / handling dynamics

That's what I'm saying: The Zed came with 040 on from new, and was probably setup with those tyres on from design stage. Nissan then switched to the 050A with the HR car, and it's identical in chassis design. It's all about the money involved, don't get hung up on it. :)

If you want outright wet performance, you need a winter tyre and accept they'll be hugely compromised in the summer. Otherwise the MPSS are as good as you can get. The reviews saying about sticking with OEM tyres are not worth listening to IMHO.

Softer sidewall will give a more progressive feel and compliant ride, but you'll lose the immediacy on the turn in. Again, the MPSS are the best in the field here, and if budget is no issue then I wouldn't look any further. A tyre with less natural grip (FK452 or VUS) will have the TCS kicking in more often, but you can drive around that.

OK - how are the winter tyres compromised in the summer, will they just degrade more quickly, due to the higher operating temps involved?

You mentioned that the sidewall being softer slightly reduces turn in response, but do the MPSS not have a softer sidewall, or are you saying that they are the best 'all-rounder' in wet and dry, and that this is neglible when compared with the RE050A?

I just want someone to clarify - is the RE050A really an all-year tyre, or a summer tyre? which is more expensive out of the two? also, your thoughts on the Goodyear Eagle F1?

I think you are getting too hung up on this.....

Fit RE050A's for all round, all year use

Fit MPSS if you have a little more cash for a slightly better tyre

Fit cheaper tyres if you don't have the cash and don't intend to push the car to it's limits

The more you ask the more confused you will get as everyone has their 'perfect' set up and 'perfect' tyre and will just confuse you :wacko:

So in short -

REO40 = BAD

REO50A = GOOD

MPSS = BETTER

Cheaper brands = OK

Whatever you choose you are not going to aquaplane and spin in the wet if you are a sensible careful driver don't listen to all the scaremongering :lol:

thanks spursmaddave.

presumably then you are saying that the RE050A is better in the snow than the MPSS (but not in the wet) due to it being a 'year round' rather than per se summer tyre? just wondered how that would work if as you say they are 'skittish' at colder temps.

:doh: This thread is getting funny. :lol:

I think you need to stop taking peoples exact words as literal, they are just opinions after all.

It sounds like someone has scared you with tales of this RWD car killing you in winter. The Zed wont kill you as soon as it gets cold, wet or snowy with any tyre on it if you DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS. However, as a rule, you want to get the best tyres you can afford.

First things you need to decide is your budget and whether you want two complete sets of tyres. (one for summer and one for winter) Obviously this would mean either having two sets of wheels or changing all your tyres twice a year.

None of the tyres listed will be good in the snow as they are not winter tyres, but how often will you drive in snow?

As said above - If you can afford it, go for MPSS, RE050A or Goodyear Eagle F1 They are all great tyres that will be 'fine' in winter conditions, Good in the wet and brilliant in summer.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

thanks spursmaddave.

presumably then you are saying that the RE050A is better in the snow than the MPSS (but not in the wet) due to it being a 'year round' rather than per se summer tyre? just wondered how that would work if as you say they are 'skittish' at colder temps.

Never driven a zed with anything that REO50s on so no idea and I would never guess :shrug:

They have a stiff sidewall which makes them a little skittish I find in the cold until they have warmed up a bit nothing major but noticeable...

None of the big brand tyres are going to see you in a ditch or fishtailing in the wet, spinning off roundabouts unless you drive like a tit, and if you do in a Zed you could have the best tyres on earth it will do you no good :lol:

A Zed is a reasonably powerful RWD car which is very nicely balanced, it is far from a hard car to drive :drive1:

:doh: This thread is getting funny. :lol:

I think you need to stop taking peoples exact words as literal, they are just opinions after all.

It sounds like someone has scared you with tales of this RWD car killing you in winter. The Zed wont kill you as soon as it gets cold, wet or snowy with any tyre on it if you DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS. However, as a rule, you want to get the best tyres you can afford.

First things you need to decide is your budget and whether you want two complete sets of tyres. (one for summer and one for winter) Obviously this would mean either having two sets of wheels or changing all your tyres twice a year.

None of the tyres listed will be good in the snow as they are not winter tyres, but how often will you drive in snow?

As said above - If you can afford it, go for MPSS, RE050A or Goodyear Eagle F1 They are all great tyres that will be 'fine' in winter conditions, Good in the wet and brilliant in summer.

The thread 'driving in the snow' made for rather worrying reading, if you must know. That's why I was trying to explore the options, sorry if the obsession was too much for you? :shrug:

I won't be able to afford 2 sets of tyres, so I guess that when the time comes, I will invest in the MPSS. As for the winter - I don't really want to think about it, guess I will just have to pray. Being used to FWD all the time and having heard horror stories from BMW and other rwd owners, I'm a bit worried, yes. I know how to drive in snow in FWD, just wondering how much more difficult it will be in a powerful rwd car.

:doh: This thread is getting funny. :lol:.

So was the other one. I think this guy is a troll.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure your point here, I like many others new to the forum was just after some decent advice, not sure why you had to resort to insults?