Paypal transaction fee - avoid it how ?

RobPhoboS

Hey guys,

I want to send some money to a member on here for an item, it's a personal sale, however they want to use PP and not a transfer directly to their bank account.

Paypal states that it's free to do this but how to I ensure it's not going to charge him or myself ?

(it's only £200 transfer but I don't want to give PP money for this)

Please help a fool !

:blush:

Thanks guys, I'll double check.

The only thing it says under my bank accounts is XXXX (Primary) (Unconfirmed). I've been using it for years but I've never understood that part.

The thing with sending it as a gift, is if the item never turns up.... Then your screwed.

I'm heading to him to do a swap :)

EDIT:

I just did the confirmation thing with my account, although I thought I did this years ago but perhaps that was for verification or something.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Thanks guys, I'll double check.

The only thing it says under my bank accounts is XXXX (Primary) (Unconfirmed). I've been using it for years but I've never understood that part.

The thing with sending it as a gift, is if the item never turns up.... Then your screwed.

I'm heading to him to do a swap :)

I believe and someone correct me if im wrong, when it says about unconfirmed it means your only allowed to send a certain amount say example £2000 of payments through paypal. If you verify your account (very easy, paypal makes 2 very small payments and you enter the amounts into paypal) it means your not limited to how much you pay through paypal, something to do with verifying its your bank acount.

Also as mentioned above, best avoid doing it as 'gift' as you wont be covered. Ive also heard of paypal suspending peoples accounts when people take the pee paying for things as gifts to avoid the fee. Not sure how true this is though.

Either way PayPal stiffs somebody! Buy goods option, receiver pays fee. Gift option, you pay the fee.

Incorrect, there is no fee for a gift payment.

So I can send you £10 as a gift and it costs me nothing extra and you receive £10? Sure when i have done this there has been some nominal fee.

Edit. According to PayPal site there is a 0.5% to 2% charge to the sender. :shrug:

Edited by leonk

Would it be worth pointing out that PayPal is actually a business, and does need to make money somewhere down the line?

If you're meeting up with the guy then take cash. I know you said they won't take a bank transfer, but have you asked them why not? It makes life so much easier and the money is ther instantly. I cannot think of a single reason not to use a bank transfer, especially if you want to avoid PP fees.

Either way PayPal stiffs somebody! Buy goods option, receiver pays fee. Gift option, you pay the fee.

So I can send you £10 as a gift and it costs me nothing extra and you receive £10? Sure when i have done this there has been some nominal fee.

Edit. According to PayPal site there is a 0.5% to 2% charge to the sender. :shrug:

Yep, if you send me £10 as a gift or personal payment and there is no fee to pay.

I have four Paypal accounts and send money between them all without fee's.

• Like 1

If you get it from bank or balance but I'm sure there can be if your getting it from the card.

£7 that it costs you is your security. Don't pay that £7 and it doesn't turn up all your money is gone. If you know the guy fine but you never know.

£7 that it costs you is your security. Don't pay that £7 and it doesn't turn up all your money is gone. If you know the guy fine but you never know.

I'm not sure why there is a charge to come directly from my bank but not when it's transferred to PP, then from PP to the 3rd party.

It even states on their site that it's free to do it.

I'd never feel sorry for Paypal, think of how much money they hold and process daily that they get to play with. Even using the pay as gift option, the money skips through their accounts. The more money that goes through their accounts the better their business does.

If you're happy to use bank transfer, then just do PayPal as a gift, it does the same thing and offers the same protection (ie none). If you want the protection of getting the money back should the stuff not turn up then use PP properly and pay their fees.