Advice on 3D TV.

stuarty

I just bought a Samsung 55" LED TV last week from Comet - got it for an absolute bargain price of £1200 down from £1500. I've been weighing up my options for over a year and i've just been waiting to pounce as soon as i found a good deal.

My only criteria is that i wanted a borderless screen, i.e. one with only a 0.5mm bezel. From reading online reviews, they all said Plasma's still offer better picture quality than the LEDs, but i've had a large Plasma for the last 5 years and i was ready for a change.

My TV is active 3d. The glasses are £15 each which i dont think is bad. Active 3d tv'd are full 1080p HD when in 3d mode as the tv is displaying alternate full-res pictures, whereas the passive system used on the LG's is showing alternate columns of pixels per eye, per frame i believe - hence only 540p resolution.

My TV has 2D>3D conversion too which can be used on any input source. It does a really good job... maybe 70% as good as dedicated 3D material. Playing XBOX in 3D is great... i even hooked up my N64 and played Goldeneye in 3D - but it wasnt that noticeable... :lol: I've bought a couple of dedicated 3D xbox games too... Crysis 2 and Gears of War 3. Only played them for 10 mins each but the 3D really adds another dimension to the games. :blush:

As for Smart TV... as others have said, there are tons of other devices out there that can do this i.e. xbox etc - but what i didnt realise is the TV now sees my NAS drive simply as an input source. Like when you switch between inputs, it is listed here. B) . I have a LOT of films on there, and scrolling through them has always been a pain - but the TV has a search function so i just type the name of the film i want to watch in, and it finds it instantly... this is so much nicer than streaming through my xbox.

All in all - im very happy. I wasnt interested in 3D or Smart functionality until i got them both, and i now love them. :cloud9:

that was really interesting i enjoyed that beavis. always thought 3d was a waste of time, i prefer more high res HDs tuff i find 3d glasses on top of my own glasses loses alot of the detail. i knew 4k was on the way but didn't know about 8k. i'm hoping my TV will last a good few more years and maybe when 4k has dropped in price i might upgrade then.

and 2020 sounds like its going to be a good year. :teeth:

I'm sure in 3d everything is half the resolution e.g. 1080p is halved because there is 2 pictures? I could be wrong though.

I think if its passive 3D the resolution id halved but active 3D its still full 1080p as the glasses flicker open and closed, therefore each eye see's a different image. I might be wrong.

I think you're right but for some reason active 3D still looks crap compared to normal 1080p. Probably because the frame rate is so abysmal.

I think most of us knew stereoscopic probably wasn't really the next big step, but that BBC article gives us an idea of what actually might be.

DB

• Like 1

I just bought a Samsung 55" LED TV last week from Comet - got it for an absolute bargain price of £1200 down from £1500. I've been weighing up my options for over a year and i've just been waiting to pounce as soon as i found a good deal.

My only criteria is that i wanted a borderless screen, i.e. one with only a 0.5mm bezel. From reading online reviews, they all said Plasma's still offer better picture quality than the LEDs, but i've had a large Plasma for the last 5 years and i was ready for a change.

My TV is active 3d. The glasses are £15 each which i dont think is bad. Active 3d tv'd are full 1080p HD when in 3d mode as the tv is displaying alternate full-res pictures, whereas the passive system used on the LG's is showing alternate columns of pixels per eye, per frame i believe - hence only 540p resolution.

My TV has 2D>3D conversion too which can be used on any input source. It does a really good job... maybe 70% as good as dedicated 3D material. Playing XBOX in 3D is great... i even hooked up my N64 and played Goldeneye in 3D - but it wasnt that noticeable... :lol: I've bought a couple of dedicated 3D xbox games too... Crysis 2 and Gears of War 3. Only played them for 10 mins each but the 3D really adds another dimension to the games. :blush:

As for Smart TV... as others have said, there are tons of other devices out there that can do this i.e. xbox etc - but what i didnt realise is the TV now sees my NAS drive simply as an input source. Like when you switch between inputs, it is listed here. B) . I have a LOT of films on there, and scrolling through them has always been a pain - but the TV has a search function so i just type the name of the film i want to watch in, and it finds it instantly... this is so much nicer than streaming through my xbox.

All in all - im very happy. I wasnt interested in 3D or Smart functionality until i got them both, and i now love them. :cloud9:

I was also looking at this.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-6-ue55es6300-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-12848043-pdt.html

Not heard of SMB before...

NAS drive... basically an external HDD that plugs into my router. Its brilliant... any device in the house can connect to it... i can stream a movie to my ipad from it whilst the mrs is streaming something else.

Stuart... mine is the next one up - the ES6800. Not sure of the technical differences, but try to see both in action as the 63 might have a larger bezel and not look as good etc.

First rule of buying a new TV is to ignore everything everyone on the internet tells you. Find a shop with loads in and go and see for yourself which looks the best picture for you, and go from there. Test your favourite BD on it, and if you're into gaming do that too. Once you're happy, go home and search the interweb for the best deal.

I prefer LED backlit screens to plasma, and I don't give a stuff what all the reviews and gods on the AV Forum say. It looks better to my eyes with the stuff I use it for, and that's all that matters really as it's my money I'm spending. I hate 3D and Smart TVs hold absolutely zero interest for me too, I just want a great screen with zero faffing. My Sammy 8 series is three years old now, and it's still up there with the better LED backlit screens that are out today. Even though I want a bigger screen now (55" just ain't enough these days!), the extra leap in quality just isn't there to justify spending another few grand on a new one.

First rule of buying a new TV is to ignore everything everyone on the internet tells you. Find a shop with loads in and go and see for yourself which looks the best picture for you, and go from there. Test your favourite BD on it, and if you're into gaming do that too. Once you're happy, go home and search the interweb for the best deal.

I prefer LED backlit screens to plasma, and I don't give a stuff what all the reviews and gods on the AV Forum say. It looks better to my eyes with the stuff I use it for, and that's all that matters really as it's my money I'm spending. I hate 3D and Smart TVs hold absolutely zero interest for me too, I just want a great screen with zero faffing. My Sammy 8 series is three years old now, and it's still up there with the better LED backlit screens that are out today. Even though I want a bigger screen now (55" just ain't enough these days!), the extra leap in quality just isn't there to justify spending another few grand on a new one.

Great advice, the sales man in currys asked me how far away from the tv i was viewing it from. I told him and he said "dont" go bigger than 47 inch, 50 inch would be absolute maximum. I thought bigger was better, but when he explained the reasoning, it made sense. So i'm going to buy this today i think.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-tx-l50em5b-full-hd-50-led-tv-17825818-pdt.html

Edited by stuarty

50" feels small after a while. I wanna upgrade to a 100"+ one to make full use of the living room.

Sharp make a 90" one, cost about £7 grand. Give it 5 years and you'll get one for a couple of grand. Need a pretty big room though.

Pete

from a tv production angle, nothing is made in 3d, far to expensive to post produce. Easy enough for live events as your just taking the feed from the cameras.

Theres some films sure but for me when ever I watch 3d films, after 45mins you forget your watching 3d. So a waste of money IMO