double tap boot

oderuyter

Reaching out to you guys - didn't know if its normal - just bought an '04 350z (lovin' it!). I've noticed that i have to press the bit release twice, 1st one 'pop's it the second releases it. Any suggestions?

Also, noticed on cold dqya the boot rams don't hold all that well - related?

On the 370Z it is a known problem by Nissan and they recommend to replace boot lid spring lifters to new modified ones( parts number is :84415 1EA2E). I didn't try to fit them on the 350Z, but may worth to try.

That's interesting

On the 370Z it is a known problem by Nissan and they recommend to replace boot lid spring lifters to new modified ones( parts number is :84415 1EA2E). I didn't try to fit them on the 350Z, but may worth to try.

Had mine replaced in July on the 70 , just mention it to the dealer and they will offer to do it.

My 58' does this, press the button on the back and it pops it but then again to actually release it. Meh, I'll deal with it lol Hardly use the back bit of the boot anyway, all the stuff gets shove in via the drivers seat :lol: (ive got the panel splitter thing on the Z bar)

This is the one thing i hate about my zed. I have to press the catch with one hand while lifting the boot with the other to get into it.

A few months ago i opened the spring things to find there were already pennies in them, so i removed the inside boot liner to get to the counterweight - and thats already been taken off too! :angry:

Mine got changed last year - but now that the cold weather has hit - it's doing it again (don't know if they used the updated part number though)

Had mine replaced in July on the 70 , just mention it to the dealer and they will offer to do it.

Did not know this. Will be getting mine done. As it is doing it. Cheer Chris

Mine won't open at all no matter how many times you press the button unless I put my bags down and pull whilst pressing the button. The spring bumpers just are long enough to push the boot past the catch. I'll take the weight out again in the weekend and see if that h eps with the new struts and spring bumpers. Plus I will lube the hinges with Wd40 then grease.

Just checked my struts, as the boot won't hold open unless at the top, and they are all in a funny language, like Japanese or summat.

Should there be a English serial number there, if the car is a UK one? Does anyone know enough Japanese to translate that?

post-17883-0-43277900-1354576703_thumb.jpg

New gas struts are £65 for the 350z, keep meaning to but haven't got round to it. Until then it's rest it on your head! Pennies and lube will sort the double pop issue for 90% of the time ;)

For anyone wanting some, this is the chap I got my quote from (no affiliation):

Andy Wyatt | Gas Strut Sales

Tel: 01332 226 290 | Fax: 01332 290 514

Email: andy@sgs-engineering.com

SGS Engineering UK Ltd

Unit A6 Cranmer Rd, West Meadows Estate, Derby, DE21 6JL

www.sgs-engineering.com

Edited by Siman350z

I recently replaced my struts with standard versions from SGS, as the boot also wouldn't stay up - especially when cold.

Unfortunately accidentally broke one of the spring lifts, so bought a single replacement from Nissan (horrendously expensive). Although the boot now stays up, it is impossible to open the boot one handed, and the wife struggles with two! Ordered a second replacement spring lift from Alex (ZMAN), which will hopefully improve things.

Really don't want to mess around removing counterweights etc.

Edited by Turbo-G

Jeez, you'd have thought they'd have fixed it before bringing out the 370Z as this was a well documented design fault. When I bought my Zed which had like 40 miles on the clock it needed the double button push to get the boot up. At least the roadsters only need one push.

Pete