Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

ioneabee

A big + one, utterly ridiculous - as much as I think a lot of politcians are a waste of space it should be left to Councillors in the areas concerned as they will know the ins and outs or what is required and more likely to have come across the candidates to know if they are likely to be any good. :dry:

With respect, councilors haven't got a clue. Nor have half the political candidates standing in these elections. Id far rather trus somebody that has been involved with police work for some time than any politician in the role.

Some of the propoganda that is being spewed by many candidates and parties is just ridiculous imho, and treats voters like sheep.

I want to vote, but have not received a single bit of info about it. I have no idea where my local polling station is, no ballot card received either. Naff all on the official websites regarding this either, which is very poor.

One of our nominees is an ex-copper, so I'm voting for him. The others are either saying very little because they're political and no they have no money to spend, or they're an independant getting ideas miles above their stations: One want to change sentencing so that 5 years means 5 years, which is great in principle but if the entire houses of Parliament can't do it along with the entire judiciary, I suspect they may be a tad out of luck! :lol:

• Like 1

Firm believe everyone who can vote, should vote.

But for the first time in nearly 40 years I might 'spoil' my vote on purpose.

Should we go back to 70's unions...... Have a vote about weather you can vote on the motion being voted on. :blink: (or something like that)

pointless activity thats costing us for creating pointless posts.

the police should be left to manage themselves.

same as teaching, we get told what to do by politicians who A. have never taught a day in their lives, B. haven't been in a school since they were a student, and C. probably never experienced comprehensive education. yet they seem to know the best way to improve everything.....not.

now if the minister for education came from a teaching background i'd be alot more inclined to take them seriously.

Oh and i get OFSTED'd by people who either haven;'t taught for many years and are out of the loop so to say. or even people who have never taught. apparently anyone can train to be an ofsted inspector. a 2 day course and you too can be telling teachers they're wrong. :lol:

I'm a firm believer that it should be compulsory to vote (an of course spoil it if you so wish - but you have voted and thats what counts)

973 on my electoral list Including postals (185 down as postals)

Perhaps all voting papers should have an extra question on them:------

Do you think this vote a waste of time and money.

Two boxes one for yes and one for no,as you can't trust the public actualy write YES or NO.

Got my cynical head on today. :blush: Anyway back to pointing my coach house. :surrender: :surrender: :byebye: :byebye:

+1 on a lot of the comments above. Who would I like to have in charge of, managing and responsible for the Avon and Somerset Constabulary....whoevers in the Chief Constables post, that's who.

I will vote as I believe it's important to exercise my right to vote. One of the candidates here has a number of years exeperience as a Police Officer, I may not align to his politics but I'd rather have someone at the top, if this is the model which is going to be followed, who's actually done the job.

We all know what this is about guys, this is about lack of funds and massive cuts to come. They government know that massive savings have to be made on frontline policing and support services, it's unavoidable. This is not about giving us a choice and more control, this is about passing the buck.

In a year or two when force sizes have been reduced and the crime statistics in the A&S constabulary area are showing increases in all types of criminal activity. The government in charge, (whoever they may be), will will respond to the outcry and dissatisfaction of the voting public by doing exactly what this approach allows them to do, they will pass the buck

"Well these commissioners really should be doing a better job, they need to improve, its terrible for you good people of Bristol to have such an appaling service, outragous etc, etc....blah, blah, blah......"

Its sickens me, I don't expect my government to tell me the truth, they rarely do. However; I do expect them to have the decency to at least attempt to disguise thier lies and deceit. They're not even bothering do that any more, they may as well be saying "...Would you like the moon in a stick, look.....here it is.....try and catch it..."

*and relax*

*Edited for poor spelling caused by frustration and anger* :D

Edited by Bockaaarck

I've just voted in Hyde (Cheshire) and they said I was the 73rd person since 07:00 this morning - the lady behind the desk had managed about 80% of a paperback book today

I had received exactly zero information about any of the candidates but had googled it earlier today, spent 30 minutes looking at who was standing and their views on stuff

There wasn't anybody who had said "No prosecutions for any speeding offence" (this is a hot topic with me at the moment as I'm on 9 points) and nor were there any candidates advocating summary executions for crashing on the motorway (you have to be REALLY stupid to have a crash when everybody is driving in the same direction and I believe anybody who doesn't drive within the limits of visibility or conditions deserves to be dragged from the wreckage and tossed into the ditch at the roadside) so I had to allow for a few concessions in selection of my chosen votee :stir:

• Like 1