Didn't people realise what they were buying ?

BOINC UK

I am somewhat surpised by the number of posts by people who are not happy with the performance of their 350's - didn't you do your homework before you spent your hard earned cash on one ? :ohmy: :ohmy:

As a previous owner of a Mitsubish FTO that had come to the stage in it's life (ie 16 years old) that it was going to cost money to upkeep (but still seriously p****ed off Golf GTI drivers when they tried to be clever) my first choice was an Evo.

However, after a fairly long search for a decent one that wasn't going to cost the earth and failed to do so, found my 350Z Roadster. I had a long look at what they could and couldn't do - and compared to an Evo FQ300/320 etc it is a no contest - cornering, straight line etc it is an Evo every time !!

So rather than spend silly money on turbo/super charging a 350 for not a lot of gain (and still be outcornered/straight lined by an Evo FQ300/320 etc) do your homework !!

I bought my 350 Roadster because it looked great, had a full dealer service history and for an 05 had only 24K miles and I knew it's limitations - but hey, give me an FQ360 any day of the week !! :) :) :) :)

Not quite sure what the point of this post is? Yeah a few people want more power, but thats fine, why not? Most people like you buy for the looks, then like to play with their toys which includes power upgrades, but its not because people don't know what they are buying (generally) its because they love tinkering and making the most out of their cars. Remaps for instance on an NA vastly improve the drivability of the Zed, not the performance (worth doing your research on this). Its also nice to know that you don't have x3 the insurance cost and have to service a Zed every time you drive it to the end of the road and back as well :lol:

If anyone had done their research there is no point comparing to an Evo, the Zed is a GT car not a rally monster. That said, you could get a nice little VXT220 and absolutely murder an Evo round a track, every time ;)

Basically he is saying some people on here say the 350z isnt that fast and spend money on it and make it into something its not or plough money into it when they could have bought an equality as fast car for less money.

Dont just go on the speed. He bought the car full well knowing its abilities and outright speed isn't one of them.

I know Dblock, I guess the point was in his original post, that an Evo still looks like a four door saloon with a daft spoiler whereas a Zed looks like a sports car, which is what people want. Which is why I didn't see the point in the post? Yes there are some people that buy Zeds without test driving and are surprised by its lazy performance (but it is by all means not slow in the grand scheme of things) but the majority are ok with it.

What people actually don't realise is there is so much more to a Zed than straight line speed it is the whole ownership experience, the Zed is a car you can truly love it has so much personality and style unlike say a Evo for example which is a monster of a machine but at the end of the day is still a family saloon....

i have to say i was one of those who bought the zed and sold in the end due to overall disappointment. to start with it was great, but as i grew to know the car i found its limitations. i think i had such high expectations of the zed that it could never live up to them ending up in an unfulfilled purchase that in the end saw me falling out of love and selling the car. its the only car i;ve ever owned that i haven't been sad to sell. all my other cars brought a little lump in my throat at the thought of sale. with the zed if i'd seen it on fire i would have waited a good 10 minutes before going out, just to make sure it wasn;t salvagable.

sad to say really as they are good cars. just for me we were never fully compatible.

What I really dont get is people comparing even a TT Zed with an Evo? Even if we say they weigh near as damit the same (which an 03 Zed and 03 Evo pretty much do as I've seen them both on a weigh-bridge), and have the same power output, they still are very very different cars. One is RWD and the other is 4WD. One is a sleek GT car and the other a rally derivative. Having driven both they are very different to drive even if the performance and handling on paper are about the same. To me the Zed is more fun to drive in handling terms than an Evo, but it doesnt compare to the whiplash effect you get when driving an Evo. It really does depend on what gets you excited. The Zed feels a lot slower than the Evo, but time wise, you'll be shocked at how little there would be in it between 2 that have the same power.

"you could get a nice little VXT220"

I assume you mean a VXR220 - I have seen a few been blown away by Evo's @ Silverstone - but that is by the by - but would you be seen in one ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would, I used to own no. 20 ;) Stock VXR vs stock Evo I'd be putting money on the VXR anyday, but the Evo responds far better to big power mods so once they've been tweaked they'll walk away from most things on the bigger tracks.

I think the OP does make a valid point, in that a lot of folks do come on here complaining about the performance aspect of the Zed when compared with other cars costing the same and offering similar levels of comfort. The turbo nutter barges are good examples of this, but as he says (and as my own little survey on here proved a while back) most people buy the car for the looks. This can lead to being disappointed with the straightline speed of the Zed as standard pretty quickly if you're expecting it to go as quick as it looks, but then as Dave says there's so much more to the car than that.

What I really dont get is people comparing even a TT Zed with an Evo? Even if we say they weigh near as damit the same (which an 03 Zed and 03 Evo pretty much do as I've seen them both on a weigh-bridge), and have the same power output, they still are very very different cars. One is RWD and the other is 4WD. One is a sleek GT car and the other a rally derivative. Having driven both they are very different to drive even if the performance and handling on paper are about the same. To me the Zed is more fun to drive in handling terms than an Evo, but it doesnt compare to the whiplash effect you get when driving an Evo. It really does depend on what gets you excited. The Zed feels a lot slower than the Evo, but time wise, you'll be shocked at how little there would be in it between 2 that have the same power.

Sums it up nicely, good post Chris.

On the roads, the biggest factor between something like a Golf GTi, a Zed or an 800bhp Evo is the driver, the size of their cojones and how much they value their licence.

At a recent track day,i kept pace with a 996 C4S down the straights,and had him on corners. (though the corners thing was probably down to the driver) The only area I struggled with was traction out of corners,as the 911 is rear engined and 4wd. I was very happy with the performance of the Zed,it was fast enough down the straights to keep up with alot of cars, and round the corners it was blinding,but I did have the ARB's set to their hardest setting. Yes there are faster hat backs out there,but they appeal to a different market. I love the noise of my Zed probably more than most things about the car,not a fan of the straight six sound. Yes its abit lardy,but its a GT car,not an out an out sports car like an Elise/VX220T/VXR,and as such you take the luxury and have to accept the downsides of that,or strip it all out.