ESP.........Who drives with it on or off?

JEMAN

Just want to add that i now have an R35 GTR and its fantastic, however as turning its system off is logged by the black box,

How is that a problem? I thought that NIssan had stopped all that silly warranty-void-if-TCS-off stuff on the cars now?

I pretty much follow Will370Z when he says he keeps it switched on when on the road but on an old airfield, off it comes, especially when the track is damp. Its amazing what you can do with 2 or 3 cones with regard to improving your driving skills,. There are few better feelings than powering out of a long fast corner sidewards and in complete control. A group of us give the old security guard a tenner each, so everyones a winner, the guard gets an extra £80 for a saturday and sunday afternoon and we get a plod free weekend of improving our skills and keeping tyre companys in business. And when i get Prof Perrinns little trick wired and switched in then more fun should be had.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of thread that puts you off buying a rwd car and gets you heading towards the Impreza section. Is the stability system on the Z quite capable?

Its very good, but does depend how you drive the car. If you drive like a tit then you will end up in the hedge..... no matter what car you in ! I never hung about and had no issues :thumbs:

Mine goes off all the time except wet weather. The TC has nearly led to a few accidents when pulling out at busy times into tight gaps.

The rest of the time the TC is very good.

At the end of the day like Doogyrev says drive like a tit, too quick for the conditions ANY car will eat you. RWD just needs more skill and respect when driving quickly in less than ideal conditions.

This is the kind of thread that puts you off buying a rwd car and gets you heading towards the Impreza section. Is the stability system on the Z quite capable?

A Hawkeye and older Impreza has no TCS at all. 4WD does naff all if the driver does something daft. ;)

It's all about the driver, and nothing to do with the TCS.

A Hawkeye and older Impreza has no TCS at all. 4WD does naff all if the driver does something daft. ;)

It's all about the driver, and nothing to do with the TCS.

+1 and if you are beginning to feel put off a rwd then perhaps the challenge of driving a real driver's car and one of best ever made 'out of the box' is not for you. And something like a TVR then would be an absolute no-no. :shrug:

Its very good, but does depend how you drive the car. If you drive like a tit then you will end up in the hedge..... no matter what car you in ! I never hung about and had no issues :thumbs:

+1 I never turn mine off even on a spirited drive and never been left behind or felt I haven't had as much fun as everyone else :shrug:

I guess TC is like a condom some people like the thrill of the risk ;)

I found out at Bedford a few weeks back that even with the TC off,i had the light on the dash coming on a couple of times. Normally drive the car with the TC left on, as its not worth binning it. If i was to go on a spirited drive with a few other cars,then id be tempted to turn it off,especially out of tight turns.

Just want to add that i now have an R35 GTR and its fantastic, however as turning its system off is logged by the black box,

How is that a problem? I thought that NIssan had stopped all that silly warranty-void-if-TCS-off stuff on the cars now?

Nissan have no problems with switching off the TCS on the R35, that is what the switch on the dash is for. ;)

The R35 has 3 options for TCS, full on, race, and full off.

The original Nissan issues was the use of launch control on the earlier cars.

The black box is a bit of a nuisance as it records even if you sneeze.

Back on topic, for normal road use the 350Z TCS works fine but can be intrusive if you enjoy your spirited driving, however that can all be controlled with your right foot.

I used to practice in the 350TT driving round Knockhill lap after lap with the TCS switched on, as it was the ideal way to perfect a smooth lap endeavoring to get a fast lap with no TCS interferance.

Then with TCS switched off I would put all I learned with the TCS on into practice to get the perfect lap.

So as well as being a driving aid for normal road use, it also has other helpful uses.

Alex. :)

Thats a good point Alex. I found however that at Bedford there were occasions when the TC would cut in coming out of slower corners,just when i wanted full power (and the traction was there). I guessing running Eibach ARB's on their hardest setting fools the TC into thinking it is nearing the limit,when actually its nowhere near,same as the 19" wheels. Im guessing it has certain G loadings or something that if the car exceeds these,then the TC will cut in.

I had the strangest experience yet in my ZED, the other day when trying to accelerate away from a junction covered in soaking wet leaves, i had the TCS on and went to accelerate away and it was as though the engine was suddenly starved of fuel and almost died completely. This has never happened before and was quite unnerving as i was pulling out from a side road onto a main road, i backed off the throttle completely as though pulling away again and all was well, this freaked me out hat much that my heart was virtually bouncing through my rib cage. Is this an example of the TCS working at its hardest? Or is it something else i'm unaware of and need to get checked out?

Agreed. It's why I keep saying that if the light keeps coming on, then you're not driving the car correctly.

Doing exactly the same thing with the TC turned off though resulted in nothing more than me getting better drive out of the slow corners. No lighting up the rears or anything.

Perhaps, but only because it wasn't cutting the power. Assuming every other input was the same, then you'd have been slipping the wheels to do so (actually the correct technique on track, to get the car into a slight four wheel drift is pretty hard to do consistently but when you get it right it feels immense).