Possibly starting vinyl wrapping business (free roof wrap)

ddcboyle

[update 29th Oct]: Due to valid points about no previous customers, insurance and qualifications that i do not yet have, i will be restricting myself to roofs only for the current time, until I have something more official. If your looking for something similair, or along the same lines, feel free to PM me.

After doing my car myself, I'll be looking into doing vinyl wrapping as a business (possibly) in 2013, so until I get the lump sum cash from afghan to start it up, I'll be doing some wrapping for friends for a mates rates (as it ain't business) just so I can start getting more of a profile, and use some pictures of what work I've done.

Would anyone be interested in getting bits of their car done? Will still be learning the techniques for different parts, but from the garages me and mate have been to, there isn't exactly a standard in some garages where there should be.

Edited by ddcboyle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best with your new venture. One of the contractors we use had his VW t5 van done matt black and carbon, paid £1800 to get it done and to be honest i wasn't impressed . From what I've seen you do on the forum yours is a far better standard :thumbs:

You can do some bits for me mate, wanting some interior bits and possibly roof.

Roof can be done at your choosing, ill be tinkering around with my interior bits to get a bit more hands on before i go onto someones interior, but should be fine after that :)

yep i had to slap it on before it got dark and dash to work results were not to my satisfaction :thumbdown:

If you wanna bring your car round i can have a look bud? How did you get on with plastidip? Started watching hours of videos n youtube about plastidipping car :p

i peeled the two test pieces off yesterday and was fine underneath i did one pillar with 4 coats and the other with 5 not much difference but obviously will be going with 5 as your better off with more on it.

didnt stick to rubber seal or under it when peeling, came off in one lump pretty much then just rubbed finger on remaining and came straight off..underneath still waxed and shiny.

Its matte so came out how i expected it to and got an even finish with the gun and my homemade spray booth

They have done some good vids online quite hypnotic watching a guy move a spray gun back and forth for 10 minutes on a vid :lol:

Im actually ordering the motherload today or tommorow from them been waiting for stock to come back in

im debating whether to get a scooby for a winter run around then can do car in one go

Edited by jumping350

ill need to pop round and have a look, looks pretty simple but i can imagine it getting a bit mondane. whole car going matt black?

seen a thing on youtube about it taking off his paint lacquer after a year, not sure if hes done it wrong or anything? what bits were you looking at getting wrapped

nope matte white..spoilers getting done again roof seems ok for the time being may redo at somepoint takes a battering from the weather! yeah i saw that clip though couldnt see what he was talking about and that is the only vid of someone saying that plus he didnt wax it before, im quite happy it doesnt take anything off as ive been playing with this stuff for a while now. im doing a two tone theme with black so at least can get creative without permanent **** ups :lol:

Your in ruislip yeah?

I wouldn't mind a fully wrap in Porsche gt3-rs grey begging of next year once I've had my car resprayed.

What would you be charging?

Que? You want the car wrapping AFTER a full respray?

Why would you do that?

Your in ruislip yeah?

I wouldn't mind a fully wrap in Porsche gt3-rs grey begging of next year once I've had my car resprayed.

Why would you do that?

You have to have perfect paint to wrap :thumbs:

Your in ruislip yeah?

Why would you do that?

You have to have perfect paint to wrap :thumbs:

Paint doesn't need to be perfect, as long as theres no rust or obvious scuffs. Most likely due to it being a wanted colour, a respray keeps it perfect condition with a wrap on top with the colour he wants. (That may not be sought after as much)

Quick note : If you were wanting us to travel to you, there would need to be a covered area such as canopy/garage with a plug socket and lighting until we have started to get supplies such as our own canopy, generator and lighting.

If you were to travel to mine, in ruislip, we can do the car in our own garage. Prices will vary dependant on car/panel

Quick note : If you were wanting us to travel to you, there would need to be a covered area such as canopy/garage with a plug socket and lighting until we have started to get supplies such as our own canopy, generator and lighting.

If you were to travel to mine, in ruislip, we can do the car in our own garage. Prices will vary dependant on car/panel

How much for a 350 in just a standard wrap i.e. solid colour :snack:

How much for a 350 in just a standard wrap i.e. solid colour :snack:

Still browsing through prices at the moment, dont want to do silly price like some garages. The ones ive been to is about 1,5-2k and their job was absolutely w**k, so i'd be most likely doing the same price for better finish as the customer should be getting.

If people are looking at getting car wrapped, but not by me, PM me and ill let you know the 2 garages that were appauling.

just out of curiosity are you going to be doing a course on wrapping, i appreciate you've done your own car and know a lot more than i or most people here do through teaching yourself but a course of some kind could be very beneficial in that you may learn a technique or method that you wouldn't have done otherwise plus it may give potential customers a little more peace of mind if you had some kind of qualification/certificate :shrug:

not putting you down at all, i think its a brave move to go it on your own and fairplay to you :thumbs: