To buy or not - another potential 350z owner...

Hi All,

Pondering a purchase this weekend - but with some doubts...

Saw a 56 plate GT with 56k miles at a Nissan dealer last week.

Good points:

Smooth punchy engine

Drove well, pulled in all gears

Fast (although didn't feel fast until looking at the speedo!) and comfortable

Bad points:

Stonechips (to be expected)

A few light scratches - no rust though

Light scuffs on alloys - just rim not spokes

Clutch felt a bit "odd" - no slipping as such, but the bite point seemed a bit variable / erratic

3 owners

Unsure points:

Service history, Nissan for 1st 3, then independent garages. No service invoices so don't know what work has been done, or not...

Dealer is offering at a good price (9K), giving a good PX and 1yr warranty. a 2yr warranty extension is £500. If I get it on finance I get a service free.

So, what are the opinions of the forum?

Thanks

Steven

Hi Ewan.

Yep - sure is :)

Wondered what "the experts" thought - general consensus was / is that the 350z is a good generally reliable car. Some the comments about people not getting used to the clutches, and the potential for burning oil after using sub 98 ron fuel...

Dealer will "mop" the stonechips and scratches and give the car a service before collection... Is making me think twice...

Edited by tallsteve

350Ad - It's Azure blue. Nice colour I thought :)

Welcome to the forum. Daytona or Azure Blue is a gorgeous colour, B) and also very sort after, so if further down the track you want to sell and buy a newer 370, should be an easy enough sale.

Welcome Along :wave:

The clutch's all have a high bite point, but if erratic then maybe on its way out. 9K is a little high if you ask me for that reg being a late registered 276bhp car. I thought Azure was not available on the 296Bhp :shrug:

Welcome Along :wave:

The clutch's all have a high bite point, but if erratic then maybe on its way out. 9K is a little high if you ask me for that reg being a late registered 276bhp car. I thought Azure was not available on the 296Bhp :shrug:

Interesting - I was told that the car was a 296bhp one. I thought given that is was registered as a late 2006 car (56 plate) then it would have to be. Is there any surefire way of checking without having to resort to chassis numbers and / or engine codes!?!

I'm far from an expert on these cars - hence coming here! If anyone can clarify if Azure was indeed a colour on the 296 version of the car?

Clutch was a bit odd. Hard to describe really - it was only "erratic" in so much as each gear seemed to engage at the same place but seemed to engage higher for gear 3 to 6... Didn't think it was slipping.

Clutch was a bit odd. Hard to describe really - it was only "erratic" in so much as each gear seemed to engage at the same place but seemed to engage higher for gear 3 to 6... Didn't think it was slipping.

Another possible explanation is that the car is mapped to do different things in the first three gears to the the other 3 so that can lead to a different feeling in terms of the interaction between the clutch and throttle when moving off from standstill and when changing gear to 2nd and 3rd. The car has a drive by wire throttle (not a cable) so the way it responds depends on the way its mapped. I agree with the view that if you are not sure don't buy it - it's a buyers market. Good luck.

Edited by NeilMH

Interesting - I was told that the car was a 296bhp one. I thought given that is was registered as a late 2006 car (56 plate) then it would have to be. Is there any surefire way of checking without having to resort to chassis numbers and / or engine codes!?!

I'm far from an expert on these cars - hence coming here! If anyone can clarify if Azure was indeed a colour on the 296 version of the car?

Azure was discontinued in 2007. There's several ways to spot a 296, Headlights don't have an orange strip down the side, rear lights are LED's and the front bumper has 2 plastic strips in the grille, the older models have 3.

Pete

I was looking at a similar situation when I was buying, got them to respray the bonnet to get rid of stone chips. Same with the service history, it was getting close to the next one due so got them to do that with fresh MOT and tax, with the warranty as a back up, I didn't think it was massive gamble.

Jetset - Thanks for the advice on spotting 296's... Makes it nice and easy, the one I'm looking at is definitely a 296 - non tango headlights and 2 strips in grille :)

NeilMH - Good point about the clutch. A number of explanations I guess, probably the most likely it that it just would take a bit of getting use to! :)

£9k seems about right id say for a dealer as they`d want top dollar, although for that id want them to refurb the alloys, respray the bumper and give it a service. You should get 6 months warranty thrown in, although dont take that as peace of mind as it wont cover much at all really.

The clutch sounds weird, id drive another one and see how that compares. I never noticed that on mine.

Edited by rabbitstew

• 3 weeks later...