Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

Coming along mate :)

When you first turn the key on the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then cuts until the car starts - your 20psi

Turn ign on you should here the pump turn off and on again about 3 times with about a 5 second delay each time should give you a bit more pressure to test before you fire her up.

You will need her running to set the reg though :)

Good luck :thumbs:

Coming along mate :)

When you first turn the key on the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then cuts until the car starts - your 20psi

Turn ign on you should here the pump turn off and on again about 3 times with about a 5 second delay each time should give you a bit more pressure to test before you fire her up.

You will need her running to set the reg though :)

Good luck :thumbs:

You da MAN! :D:lol:

Tried to start it up again, nice sound of fuel pissing out of somewhere :dry:

Plenum off

IMG_20130313_111125_zps99589e96.jpg

Works better when you put the fittings the correct way around :blush:

IMG_20130313_115128_zps67dc190b.jpg

Then tried again.... more fuel spewing out the wee silver nut, nothing a bit of ptfe tape and a good tighten wont sort!

IMG_20130313_125256_zps0e444723.jpg

one more time! and she kept pressure! :D but tired adjusting it on the fuel pressure reg but it just stayed around 20 psi??? Is this correct? i.e. can I only adjust it when I start the car or should I have been able to see pressure change when I screwed the wee thing on top up or down?

Will have to wait till after my holiday to fire her up for real. Also cancelled RS tuning as I would rather have the car finished before going down to get it tuned. :surrender:

As keyser says about the pressure adjusting, you need the car running.

Looking at your pictures, I'm afraid you need to revisit the aam adapter block to fuel rail fitting. The fitting is the right way round now, but you have an o-ring seal where you shouldn't . Where the 90 fitting ( black) goes to the straight (blue). These are AN fittings and seal internally where the two metal flared ends meet. There shouldn't be a seal of any kind there.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because anyone that has a go themself gets my respect (thats how you learn afterall) but I think before you drive the car anywhere you should get someone with a bit more knowledge just to have a little look over your work, especially the fuel system.

The last thing you want after all this hard work is for it to go up in flames.

:thumbs:

Tried to start it up again, nice sound of fuel pissing out of somewhere :dry:

Plenum off

IMG_20130313_111125_zps99589e96.jpg

Works better when you put the fittings the correct way around :blush:

IMG_20130313_115128_zps67dc190b.jpg

Then tried again.... more fuel spewing out the wee silver nut, nothing a bit of ptfe tape and a good tighten wont sort!

IMG_20130313_125256_zps0e444723.jpg

one more time! and she kept pressure! :D but tired adjusting it on the fuel pressure reg but it just stayed around 20 psi??? Is this correct? i.e. can I only adjust it when I start the car or should I have been able to see pressure change when I screwed the wee thing on top up or down?

Will have to wait till after my holiday to fire her up for real. Also cancelled RS tuning as I would rather have the car finished before going down to get it tuned. :surrender:

As keyser says about the pressure adjusting, you need the car running.

Looking at your pictures, I'm afraid you need to revisit the aam adapter block to fuel rail fitting. The fitting is the right way round now, but you have an o-ring seal where you shouldn't . Where the 90 fitting ( black) goes to the straight (blue). These are AN fittings and seal internally where the two metal flared ends meet. There shouldn't be a seal of any kind there.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because anyone that has a go themself gets my respect (thats how you learn afterall) but I think before you drive the car anywhere you should get someone with a bit more knowledge just to have a little look over your work, especially the fuel system.

The last thing you want after all this hard work is for it to go up in flames.

Thanks for the advice, I only put that o-ring the because the fitting instructions weren't the greatest and I thought it would give a better seal, the fitting is as tight as it will go against the black 90 fitting and hasn't leaked yet and you can see in the photo the o-ring isn't that squished that it would be causing the other side to seal poorly, from the AAM pictures it looks like there is a gap in that space normally. But if you think its better to remove them I will.

I wish I could get someone to look at it but unfortunately with it being stuck in my garage its just myself and my dad both engineers (him being the better) Don't worry I got a ribbing for having the fitting the wrong way round :headhurt:

That's the reason I have tested it without firing up the engine, so we can spot the leaks before any sparks happen :scare:

Most of my mistakes have been through rushing to try and get the car ready but after being told countless times by my dad, I now know its not going to be done by 3rd April so can slow down and look things over more carefully.

The reason for posting so many pics is so you guys who have done it before can make these comments so I am kept on the right path. :boat:

No problem, we are here to help.

Please keep the updates coming, your honesty in it is refreshing. A lot of people would keep quiet about their mistakes and mishaps. Its good for people to see what's involved with taking on a project like this.

Yeah Gazza, carry on because people don't realise the work involved, I get so many people saying " is this just a bolt on system and I will get 100bhp ?". I've actually refused to sell them to people until they have done their research first as its not worth the hassle.

Yeah I am lucky to have another car so can take my time and have been planning to do this since I got the car nearly 3 years ago :yawn:

Also the few other S/C build threads have been worth their weight in gold for comparison purposes.

Well I am off to Singapore so see you all later :teeth:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

two steps forward one back today :blush:

installed the breather plug for the vortech and spotted the dip stick (presumably) at the side but unfortunately it is american so my allen keys dont fit :wacko: and the key I used for the breather plug attaches to my sockets and is too big to fit in the gap.

IMG_20130330_123413_zpsd535d8a7.jpg

Maybe a raid through work tools monday might help

Not sure if it will be possible to check the level when the wheel arch liner is back on? wait and see I guess.

IMG_20130330_123422_zps35506099.jpg

Did some wiring and made some brackets today which went fine.(so no point posting :lol: )

Then my parents turned up on their way home from their holiday so had to stop and talk for a while. :yawn:

Thought fitting my new stillen sump pan would be 5min job.

The old one did not want to come off, the RTV silicone was solid and unfortunately I did not have a gasket cuter (strong wire I presume with wooden handles?) tried string which was a waste of time then the dull side of a hack saw blade, ended up having to use a chisel to create a small gap to fit my spark plug gap feelers in, then a lot of wiggiling while laying on my back getting cold :angry:

IMG_20130330_175607_zps31c3d8fa.jpg

IMG_20130330_175644_zps495c4c8f.jpg

Trusty getto razor blade to take off the old gasket/silicone

IMG_20130330_181832_zps4b2c193e.jpg

New spacer for oil pick up

IMG_20130330_182606_zps12d73e46.jpg

In place,easy enough, but feeling the cold :cold:

IMG_20130330_183139_zps7027729c.jpg

New sump pan with RTV applied (yes I know it should have gone round the inside of the screw holes but it doesn't matter :blush: )

IMG_20130330_184755_zps32d2e48c.jpg

Went to put it on and started to loose the use of my fingers and brain :wacko: got a few bolts in and then could not do any more as my motor skills had left me, also the silicone was hardening.

I then became papa smurf as I tried to remove the bolts and get the dam thing off, :lol: inside I went, cleaned the sump pan but will probably have to scrape the bottom of the engine again as I didnt wipe it all off as I was loosing body heat fast and was shutting down to protect my core lol.

Try again tomorrow after hockey :sun:

Singapore was amazing mate, high rises and skyscrapers everywhere, massive shopping malls (which suits the missus) and travelators/escalators to save you walking. The transport system is miles ahead and pence to use. 30* plus temps and interesting food :stir: had a surprise trip to batam in Indonesia which was the opposite kinda rough with millions of bikes everywhere (compared to the German/Jap motors and occasional supercar) no road manners and constant use of the horn. The hotel looks like it was from the 60's kinda rough on the outside but really nice inside and staff outnumbered hotel guests 3 to 1 :lol:

Gutted to come back to snow and the cold :cold:

Sounds brilliant. Probably not much difference to the food here at the moment then lol. Did you see any modified jap motors? Indonesia would drive me crazy with all the horns lol. Yeah weve not been having the best weather back home but it looks like its starting to get better but being scotland it could change at any minute. Hopefully itl get warmer and you can get everything fitted. Im choking for mine to arrive so i can get on with the build so il need to get chasing them up yet again. How do you load the base map onto the ecu from abbey?

Fitted much easier when my fingers were working. Used the prescribed 4-5mm bead of RTV around the sump but looks like a lot came out the gap, probably the colour makes it look more than the oem stuff that was on it, only torqued to 10 so not over done it. Will wait a few days before I fill her with oil so it can cure properly

Unfortunately I dont get a holiday monday so need to wait till next weekend before I hopefully get round to start her. :yawn:

IMG_20130331_154317_zpsd4a61bc3.jpg

I forgot you were taking it to RS. Hopefully it will run ok then. At least you can keep an eye on the AFR. You'll know as soon as you first drive it if its going to be ok. Where did you get your power supply from for your AFR? Was it off your old satnav? Reason i ask is im fitting mine on thursday and not very sure where im getting the power from yet

Yeah I had an old reverse camera screen where the sat nav used to be, took the live from that to power the 3 power cables for the afr gauge :scare: also used it for the boost gauge (one power wire :D )

Hope she runs ok otherwise trailering her down will be expensive :dry:

I went for the digital AEM AFR guage. Its got 4 wires, red and black for live/neutral and the other two are for data logging i think so arent needed. I might just try and get a feed from the cigarette lighter. Ive went the opposite from you and went digital AFR and analog boost guage. On copying you with the guages in the cubby though but with painted perspex instead of aluminium. I think im going to hire a car transporter as the zeds too heavy to be towed by my dads skoda estate which is crap as thats another few hundred quid that i really dont need

Some good work there you need a heater mate :)

I would love one but unfortunately my flat is probably too far away to run a power cable, (another garage and a flat in the way :dry: )

Going to wait till march before I tax her and book in for RS so got a full month to hopefully finish off the small bits and bobs plus start it :lol:

So my engine oil didnt turn up this week so no starty :yawn:

Primed the fuel pump a few times and gauge went up to 70 psi then dropped down to 50ish tried turning the valve on top of the regulator but no change so need to go read up on how they work :lol: but at least there aint any leaks at quite high pressures so will be happy to fire her up once I get some lube in her.

IMG_20130406_113829_zps84082cfb.jpg

Wasn't happy with the one bracket for the inter cooler so made a new one up. Pitty I dont stock pile american bolts :dry: as the only ones that fit are a bit large.

IMG_20130406_162649_zps3af7fd08.jpg

Also made a bracket for the other oil catch can and in now sits beside the screen wash reservoir, nay pics cos phone battery died on me,

I think I only have to cut up my bumper, wheel arch trim bits (so the intercooler and pipe work fit) fill with oil, then I am probably ready to roll. :yahoo: