Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

Changed my plugs over to 1 step colder went for platinum as stillen recommend them also easier to change the gap if needed.

Only problem was I noticed a small amount of oil in number 6 spark plug cylinder again after changing the rocker cover a year or two ago, the coil does not secure/suck onto the plug end like the others so may need a new coil pack? lucky they are held down with a bolt so should be fine for the now.IMG_20130217_155143_zps7a7d498a.jpg

Also I wasn't keen on the bright shiny alu intercooler so as Keysers instructions gave it one coat of primer and two coats of colour he wont be happy tho cos it ain't GREEN!

Happy with the result but as its black (not good for heat soak) I only painted the front, sides and top. (it looks better than pictures suggest.)

IMG_20130217_171347_zps7f577612.jpg

IMG_20130217_171410_zps4e475b91.jpg

Ran out of paint for the pipes :dry: so got round to doing some other things :)

New and old injectors (old one is missing the o-ring which I later found hidden in the engine bay :blush:)

IMG_20130223_133208_zps5b132a5d.jpg

One new injector installed, the clips that hold them in place are not as good a fit as the oem injectors as they dont have the groove to slide into, but they should still do the job.

IMG_20130223_134232_zpsed4639dc.jpg

Old thing and new thing which goes in its place for the return system.

IMG_20130223_134256_zps87ba47b8.jpg

New injectors fitted

IMG_20130223_142150_zps23a2a11e.jpg

Lines all fitted after a good tip from Keyser ;)

IMG_20130223_163332_zps6f357e14.jpg

Fuel pressure regulator in place using self tappers altho I have an issue with the gauge not screwing into the regulator :rant: not sure if the threads are wrong as they dont look damaged (small gash on the gauge threads but shouldnt cause the issue, The regulator comes with a plug in it with some pte tape but it wasnt all the way in and can't seem to thread it in either :wacko: for the moment the gauge is in three or so threads but dont fancy forcing it in case it strips threads.

IMG_20130223_164744_zpseda1dbe5.jpg

Wouldn't even know the difference unless you looked hard. Piping and charger bracket next week.

IMG_20130223_172020_zpsab3f5d8f.jpg

Self taught idiot, altho have studied a bit of engineering and play around with the fitters at work hiting @*!# with hammers. Its all trial and error, I am expecting a few minor leaks when I turn the ignition to prime the pump lol.(need to pinch some sealent for the gauge but will check the thread with some other bolts to see which part is the problem.)

"Self taught idiot" lol. Id describe myself similar haha. The fuel leaks scare me a bit so thats why im getting someone who knows their stuff to do it. I fitted a walbro in my starlet years ago and never trusted it, think it was a ticking time bomb lol so not going to put myself through that worry again. Hopefully some ptf tape will seal it. Will the fuel not eat away at the tape though?

Doing great work, fuel return pipe has gone in very neatly.

I had a washer spare it went in the blanking plug on the other side of the fuel reg pumped fuel all over the place when I first primed the system :doh:

Doing great work, fuel return pipe has gone in very neatly.

I had a washer spare it went in the blanking plug on the other side of the fuel reg pumped fuel all over the place when I first primed the system :doh:

That's why I am expecting a leak :lol: if it happened to you it will be 10x worse for me lol, The nylon washers I think are too small for the blanking plug but will check.

I use ptf tape at work with much more corrosive and nasty oils so it should be fine with the fuel, also the blanking plug they supply comes with it :) just worried about the gauge, not sure if I will just use ptf tape and force it in :blush: for a worst case scenario.

The gauge threads you struggling with are NPT (tapered thread) they are not meant to be screwed in all the way or something will break.

Put a bit of PTFE tape on the thread and wind it in until tight. Should be between 3.5 and 6 threads engaged. You can adjust the amount of PTFE tape on the thread to allow it to go in further or not, this should allow you to get the gauge pointing in the direction you want.

• Like 1

Looking at your picture you also need to put a bit of PTFE on the npt threads of the boost line connector on the top of the regulator or you'll probably get a boost leak - which can lead to your fuel pressure not increasing when it should be and running lean.

Regarding your left over washers, they could be spares but you should have some type of washer on each of the blue fittings that screw into the regulator body, or they will leak.

:)

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Thanks Sam, I had said to my dad that it looked tapered and he shot me down :lol: Glad its ok, will pinch some tape from work and I will have a look at the fittings as im sure the blanking bung doesnt have a washer (the white nylon ones are too small so may use one off the old fuel injectors as they should fit)

I presume I can add the tape to the pressure adjuster without removing it? i.e. I will need to screw it down to get it near 52psi as it will be set to max from the factory?

Cheers again always glad for input :thumbs:

Thanks Sam,

I presume I can add the tape to the pressure adjuster without removing it? i.e. I will need to screw it down to get it near 52psi as it will be set to max from the factory?

The pressure adjuster is not a tapered thread, so don't put any tape on that! ;)

It should be in two places - the gauge thread and the small npt thread where the boost/vacuum tube is, the silver tube just below the adjuster.

Thanks Sam,

The pressure adjuster is not a tapered thread, so don't put any tape on that! ;)

It should be in two places - the gauge thread and the small npt thread where the boost/vacuum tube is, the silver tube just below the adjuster.

Ahh I see what you mean now, it came attached so presumed it would be fine :dry: at least I am more confident about how that works etc so happy to remove it and wrap it with tape.

Where did everyone buy their small worm gear/ jubilee clips from? Struggling to find ones small enough for the vacuum lines.

Don't use them on the Vacum line just silicone hose of the correct size - they are vacum so they "suck" on :) - the threaded connector may leak - mine was/is fine - 45PSI to start when you dial it in BTW

You don't have to put the vacum line on you can leave it open - but then you need higher pressure all the time to account for no increase - mine is set at 43psi idle on boost it goes to around 48psi "normal" driving around 45psi.

For what it's worth I found there are 2 types of PTFE tape - one is for water pipes and not for use on fuel/oil etc the other is NOT for water pipes and is fine for engines etc - I used the same stuff that I got with my compressor air lines and never had a problem - may not be true :shrug: But hate for it to disolve or something silly.

Don't use them on the Vacum line just silicone hose of the correct size - they are vacum so they "suck" on :) - the threaded connector may leak - mine was/is fine - 45PSI to start when you dial it in BTW

You don't have to put the vacum line on you can leave it open - but then you need higher pressure all the time to account for no increase - mine is set at 43psi idle on boost it goes to around 48psi "normal" driving around 45psi.

For what it's worth I found there are 2 types of PTFE tape - one is for water pipes and not for use on fuel/oil etc the other is NOT for water pipes and is fine for engines etc - I used the same stuff that I got with my compressor air lines and never had a problem - may not be true :shrug: But hate for it to disolve or something silly.

Cheers dude,

Need the worm gear clips for my catch tank and its pipes but glad I dont need it for the vacuume lines as I have bought some t-connectors to link the plenum, fuel pressure reg, vortech bpv and boost gauge together, will it be fine to run them all off the same line and connection at the front of the plenum which is blanked? I presume the pressure drop will be negligable.

Thanks for the heads up about the tape also, I am pritty sure they will only use the stuff that works with fuel/oil as it leaks into our water systems most of the time anyway lol.

I'll get some pics of my setup tomorrow for you. The BPV can come off the front of the plenum, the fuel reg I picked up with aT piece in the line to the fuel tank vapour trap release.

When tuning we found that sharing the line to the vapour release and/or the BPV causes fluctuations In the pressure this makes it a pain to tune, I suffered because I have a Haltech and it has it's own sensor built in, if your going up rev I don't think it will matter but you may get a flick in the boost gauge.

Worm gear or "jubilee" clips eBay will have, I get mine from a local supplier he has everything from about 6mm to 100mm I can post ya some if your really stuck.

As Chris says, if the vacuum hose is a good fit it shouldn't need clamps as your only gonna see circa 10psi. I use small cable ties just for piece of mind.

I've just got 'T' pieces fitted between the plenum, FPR, BPV and boost gauge. Had no issue with the Uprev as it is done using the MAF and not a MAP sensor.

IMAG0222_zps92a8307c.jpg

Just updating the first page, Uprev GT MAF also arrived the other day thanks to Abbey Motorsport.

Hope to sort the fuel regulator and fit the intake piping for the supercharger at the weekend along with moving stuff so the intercooler will fit.

Need some more satin spray paint to finish off the front pipes that will connect to the cooler.

Just took off the connections on the fuel reg to help give a better seal, what are your thoughts? Used ptfe tape on the threads of the two tapered ones but the plastic washers are useless and only fit on the wee vacuum pipe connector :angry: so had to improvise with the blue bung as there was no washer with it so reused one of the old injector washers, just managed to push it over the threads but should do the job. Going to be a pain to check the other two connections cos I can't remember which ones has washers :headhurt:

Also my other catch tank arrived :D with a bag of skittles so thanks to rutland motors guy.o-rings_zpsf80241b6.jpg

Edited by evilscorp

Did some more work on the car today, started off bad and got more challenging lol, Tried to pull the vortech couplers over my maf pipe..... they don't fit, ended up breaking one of the corners off it. Got the super glue on the go to try fix it, may look at getting someone to fabricate up a new larger maf pipe and new black couplers.

IMG_20130302_122455_zpse63dc0cd.jpg

Wired up my boost gauge

IMG_20130302_131904_zps4c6fed58.jpg

Only to find the cable was a bit short so had to use up most of my vacuum pipe to bridge the gap round the firewall to connect it to the fuel regulator and plenum.

IMG_20130302_133941_zps454fc302.jpg

IMG_20130302_134321_zpsc618eaf5.jpg

Then removed the mounting brackets for the power steering cooler and fiddled it around to try get it to fit, didn't use the described way that vortech suggests as my radiator is probably going to be upgraded soon as the fins fall apart when you touch then so putting cable tie type things through them to hold it would be a bad idea also couldn't get the pipes to bend that way.

IMG_20130302_153507_zps24437748.jpg

IMG_20130302_154622_zpsf133bbad.jpg

Mounted the intercooler.

IMG_20130302_155033_zps6c1307a2.jpg

Dam pipes/cables in the way!

IMG_20130302_164145_zpsb82c7572.jpg

Wires infront? could be an issue with the belt from the charger?

IMG_20130302_170929_zps606f88dd.jpg

Wires behind, hope the strut bar fits.

IMG_20130302_171304_zps19873f18.jpg

Yes I know the maf pipe is upside down but it still needed glueing and was just temp to see how the whole lot fits.

IMG_20130302_171330_zps13245afa.jpg