Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a sad day :byebye: the Z is off the road, probably for quite some time.

Anyway shes off the road so wont have to worry about being pulled over, also on the same drive home the rear end felt funny, stepped out twice on a roundabout when going very slow and started to make a hellish banging noise. Previously I had an issue with a knock from the passenger side rear but after removing the shock to find no damage or signs of anything wrong I just ignored it expecting a bush was on its way out.

GOPR0118_zps46bf43c1.jpg

My plan of attack is to replace all the rear sub frame mount bushes and diff bushes (maybe the suspension arms too as I have a box waiting to upgrade the front... but not the rear yet :dry:)

I think the whole sub frame is shifting due to worn bushes hence the noise and rear end randomly stepping out.

It does help that I have also ordered a New KAAZ LSD from clark motorsport so kills a few birds with one stone (or car).

GOPR0120_zps65e46c65.jpg

GOPR0128_zpse3eae30b.jpg

Having never removed the rear bumper and living with a broken/crap boot release since I let those cowboys install the bodykit, I was worried about what I might find.

GOPR0112_zpsa4b4bd5d.jpg

GOPR0114_zpse4383973.jpg

Fortunately the rear of the car is in good nic under the horrible bubbled bumper, so one less thing to treat for rust.

The bumper however might need more than the fiberglass repair resin stuff I have so If you know of any good products let me know!

Going to sand the bumper down and primer it again then if I have the cash, try wrapping it and the car matte black.

GOPR0124_zps7909b700.jpg

GOPR0127_zpsbd643418.jpg

Ohh and if I can get round to buying a duff engine to have a play with and send a usable core to get machined to the spec of the new pistons all the better.

1 thing that can and will delay all of this.... the wedding..... why can't a guy and girl go to Vegas, get pi**ed and end up married, sooo much cheaper and less hassle! (my missus would kill me if she reads this as she has been doing all the work and I owe her big time really, all I need to do is turn up... i think in a DBS!

Also to save finding the manual what is this thing? (something to do with the old jdm satnav?)GOPR0121_zps2e1d508c.jpg

Had to use some special tools to fit through the small vent hole to remove the bumper screws :dry: dam cowboys!!!

Edited by evilscorp

Shame about the windscreen because as you say eats into the money you had "better" plans for but nothing you can do about it unless it's covered through Insurance & then there is always an excess to pay, yarda yarda. Hopefully it won't cost you too much to sort.

Good luck with the wedding btw and kudos to the Mrs for doing all the work. :yahoo::D

Not in a rush for an engine so keep hoping a 350z crashes in Ayrshire leaving the driver and engine in perfect condition :lol:

If I am ever on a long trip down deepest darkest south England I will give you a heads up Keyser.

(or after the wedding take a detour one day while visiting friends :))

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally had some time off work, but the weather stopped me playing for too long,

Exhaust off (well part of)

IMAG03151_zps6ef26400.jpg

Then started to undo the drive shaft bolts before thinking I should check the manual, needless to say it says take off the prop shaft :blush:

IMAG03161_zps6e9ffc05.jpg

Marked up the coupler, lucky my dad had some spare paint sticks he wont miss :lol:

IMAG03191_zpsc227cfd9.jpg

But as normal it didn't want to come off nicely, does anyone have a suggestion, better to give it some hard taps with a hammer (tried soft ones with a spanner) or do you have to pull it towards the engine to free it up? Lost the light and weather stopped me at this point so left it sprayed with wd40 for an attack tomorrow. Hopefully not to hungover as i had a retirement doo (free bar) to go to :teeth:

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of spare time before I go to work so finally dropped the diff out, fook me its heavy and awkward, Not the easiest to lower the jack and hold the dam thing on the jack while scrambling for something to cut the dam breather hose that will not come off! :scare:

Also had to use a hammer and chisel to free the rust holding the propshaft to the diff coupling, was a last resort as not matter how much tapping or wiggling it would not budge, hasnt left any marks I can see but will defo need a clean up of the rust :yuck:GOPR0142_zpsobcmluf5.jpg

GOPR0144_zpswwxaobly.jpg

GOPR0145_zps266zsg69.jpg

Plan was to lift it in the house to work on it but think I will open it outside first... after a clean up. Still need to order the new bearing etc but will wait to see the state of the insides first before I start pestering Ewen.

What inter-cooler is that ? Does it fit? :lol:

I believe so lol, its the tredstone 1245 or something like that. Think the crash bar might be having a meeting with the hacksaw though.

New bumper is being considered but the one I want will cost £2000+ for the kit to be imported and that just aint going to happen anytime soon since I have only just bought the lip and canards to try beef this one up, probably hacksawing that too :lol: so I dont have the black slats in the grill just a big gaping hole. :scare:

Edited by evilscorp
  • Like 1

What inter-cooler is that ? Does it fit? :lol:

I believe so lol, its the tredstone 1245 or something like that. Think the crash bar might be having a meeting with the hacksaw though.

New bumper is being considered but the one I want will cost £2000+ for the kit to be imported and that just aint going to happen anytime soon since I have only just bought the lip and canards to try beef this one up, probably hacksawing that too :lol: so I dont have the black slats in the grill just a big gaping hole. :scare:

Do you run an oil cooler?

My standard vortech Intercooler with an oil cooler pretty much meant I had to cut a lot of the bumper away. Just about left the grill/fins in place.

This arrived :scare:

IMAG03341_zpsjzez08hm.jpg

Bloody hell its big and heavy, think I might have to put the boot weight back in to counter balance it :lol:

Also new 340lph fuel pump and 1000cc injectors, :blush: wish I had just gone all out to begin with :wacko:

That's a proper intercooler, shame it takes forever from Treadstone to ship it. We might just buy 10 and store them in USA. Proper stuff!

• Like 1

Yeah thanks for hunting it down for me, don't think I will need to upgrade it anytime soon :lol:

No Sam just the stillen sump to increase the amount of oil, the amount of holes in my old bumper and bonnet along with lack of track work + scottish weather mean I shouldnt have an issue. Also plan on either doing the HR block mod for cooling or the patherfinder mod but not sure if the latter has been faded out?

I do plan on getting an oil temp sensor at some point though just to make sure.

Edited by evilscorp
  • Like 1

I do plan on getting an oil temp sensor at some point though just to make sure.

Loving that intercooler, ....looks massive. :scare::lol:B)

Jumping350 is selling a Mishimoto sandwich plate which is a great bit of kit. If you bought that you could then fit it and fit an oil temperature sensor into it whenever you're ready. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94678-wideband-02-mishimoto-s-plate-acalt-belts/

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Popped off the alu diff cover, but will need to wait to find someone to hold the diff while I undo the bearing housings as I dont have a workbench with a vice yet :dry:

Spent half an hour with a wire brush trying to remove some rust, not sure if I should go the whole hog and paint it after I am finished to give it some protection from the scottish elements.

IMAG03361_zpscotat8ll.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well If you don't have a workbench or vice... make one :lol:

IMAG03441_zpsgzsmrnug.jpg

Just fabricating up a wee carrier for dropping the diff into so its upright when I remove it from the housing. should also make it easier for realigning the shims and bearings + checking runout.

Still need some cross beams to strengthen it then a helping hand to lift that heavy bugger into it.

This arrived :scare:

IMAG03341_zpsjzez08hm.jpg

Bloody hell its big and heavy, think I might have to put the boot weight back in to counter balance it :lol:

Also new 340lph fuel pump and 1000cc injectors, :blush: wish I had just gone all out to begin with :wacko:

Similar size intercooler that's fitted to my Juke.. Was a tight squeeze lol...

image-21.jpg

Massive thumbs up though doing the work yourself... And some serious funds have been put into it...

Wow that is impressive for a juke! does it really need that large.... wait of course.... powerrrrrrr!! What is the juke able to produce with such mods? knew they were tunable but not big bhp monsters are they??

As for money.... we don't talk about that in this thread, it makes me sad :headhurt: