Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

Diff in its rig ready for swap, also brakes off and most bolts undone, just a few more then time to drop the subframe, only task I am not looking forward to is disconnecting the handbrake cable from inside the drum as if I remember right it was a pain/fiddly to put back together. :dry:

IMAG03451_zps2rje0snk.jpg

IMAG03461_zpsnhcii60h.jpg

might get another few hours tomorrow as I have a day off :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Two lousy nuts and I would have had the rear subframe off! :rant:

Need to buy some box spanners now as nothing I have is long enough not to hit on the stud.

IMAG03481_zpskqoolq5d.jpg

All prepped ready to drop the subframe.

So many wee bits to check, everything has a bracket on the subframe that needs disconnected and in most cases sheers off :wacko:

My advice is take each bolt/nut slow otherwise like mine it will heat up and sheer when you get pee'd off. Also went through a whole can of wd40. now time to buy all new bolts.

IMAG03493_zpssxokhyhn.jpg

One of another million tools I have bought was used today, actually quite impressed with it considering how cheap it was.

Stub axles came off easy with the slide hammer and didn't even need it to remove the old diff, it just popped out with a wee jerk.

IMAG03501_zpsotcozjzu.jpg

IMAG03511_zpsycrs6h2l.jpg

Shame the same couldn't be said for the box spanners I bought as the rod bent trying to remove the last for nuts on the subframe so its back to the drawing board :dry:

• Like 1

Impressive stuff doing this on your driveway. :)

Only cos my garage is now too full its spilling out into it lol. Not looking forward to dragging the subframe out, already eyeing up the neighbourghs skate board.

In a catch 22, cant get a new garage until I get the car fixed and out of it!

Better get on with it then :lol:, there is certainly a lot of satisfaction to be had from doing stuff for yourself rather than paying a garage to do it. At least with paying for the tools you have made an investment instead of spending that money on someones labour. :)

ChrisB, don't remind me how many other jobs I have left to do! :lol: Sometimes I wish I could afford/be smart enough to take it to a garage for someone else to do the work. Probably spend the same on all the dam tools I have to buy :surrender:

Nahh - taking it to a garage would remove half the fun and interest from it - only done as a very last resort. You have many pleasant DIY jobs left (as do I) :teeth:

• Like 1

Finally! its off! :teeth:

IMAG03621_zpsykhx2hgj.jpg

Quite a bit heavier than I thought it would be but lucky I had a mate come round and work on the car for the first time :drunk:

Leaves a nice big space for having a look under the car.

IMAG03551_zpsqqcqotw2.jpg

Now the boring job off cleaning and getting rid of rust, also think I might replace a few more bushes since I have easy access.

This one defo looks shot. :surrender:

IMAG03591_zpsu4pz9sht.jpg

IMAG03601_zpsdzbmpnzn.jpg

no wonder the back end seemed a bit lively.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started the Keyser technique for removing the subframe bushes IMAG03851_zpsam8b7kmh.jpg

I had drilled around it for ages with one of those saw drill bits but they aren't long enough/very good :dry:

Also had a wee hack saw blade but I became bored..... asked my mate to borrow his gas torch, shall see what happens next week and how much a mess I make on my parents drive (ain't I glad I moved the subframe to theirs :lol: )

Started dismantling the arms off the subframe so it can be sent to the shot blasters + fit the new sexy eibach and spl arms.

IMAG04051_zpsaadpmefd.jpg

Then I hit a snag while removing the ball joint nut. One was fine the other...

IMAG04081_zps8f5lib57.jpg

Dam split pin wont budge, its an awkward angle, rusted solid and one leg has snapped. Can see me having to drill the dam thing. The threads are :yuck: so the nut wont come off without a fight.

If I had been smart (or just stuck to the plan and only changed the subframe bushes) I would have taken the driveshafts off when attached to the car as I dont have a vice and cant think how to get the huge 32mm nut off without hiring the hulk to hold it while I use my breaker bar :wacko:

I can see them staying on while I do funny angles and stances with the press to change the bushes on the hubs... doh.

Edited by evilscorp

• 2 weeks later...

Subframe was dropped off at the shot blasters yesterday, inner metal sleeves have been burnt out the bushes but still need to chap out the outer sleeves with a hammer and chisel,keyser style, not easy and have a few bumps but still all stuck in solid!

IMAG0418_zpsue8kicgw.jpg

Hopefully the shot blasting will remove some rust on the stuck spring carrier that I could not unbolt even with the blow torch :angry:

Subframe is still at the blasters :dry:

So got cracking on and built my press and started pushing out bushes, much love to Keyser for pointing out how to do it all on his build thread, saved a bit of head scratching on some of the weird ones ;) .

IMAG04221_zps14pt9vqy.jpg

So after moving all of 2mm, resistance and realization that my biggest socket is just a ball hair too small :rant:

So now need to take a trip to halfords for a 33mm,34mm,35mm socket set to be on the safe side.

The brake shield also stops access to one of the bushes for removal on the hub.

Next step was try again to remove the stuck ball joint nut.... no luck, need the driveshaft off......wont come off... have no vice and need so much force it will all need rebuilt on the car and hooked up to the prop shaft and stuck in first gear to probably come off :angry:

Soooo I feel like Ian. :lol:

Edited by evilscorp
  • Like 3

Back from the blasters, not much metal left on this part :lol:

IMAG04281_zpsrkyyiruu.jpg

But fortunately its some sort of stone shield for the fuel tank I think :wacko:

The main subframe and arms came out great

IMAG04291_zps35dxe1vq.jpg

Bought some red primer along with a 33mm and 34mm impact sockets (no long reach :dry: ) so hopefully should get the bushes done at the weekend and have these painted ready to go back on. Just hope the threads are ok as its quite rough, think the steel wool and wd40 will be out in force again. :yawn:

Day off, so will try and get a few things done.

Sprayed the kidney arms a nice shade of red primer along with the fuel tank sheild, still need to do the subframe but will wait till ive finished removing those pesky bushes.

IMAG04341_zpszr7yciel.jpg

Chapped up the lip on the bushes and cut them off with a hacksaw so I could have somewhere to press against on the arm,

IMAG04311_zpspmsehv1z.jpg

This was not fun, very hard to get the lines and angles perfect especially with the extension rod thing that only has a small flat on top, the rest is curved so expected it to fire out at me :scare:

Initially started the pushes into some brand new 34mm sockets.... to find it just catches the inside :dry: need either 35mm or 36mm to be able to push all the way through, but the handy plates that came with the press were fine once it was started.

IMAG04321_zpsgukqt196.jpg

I have made a boob with my purchase though. I ordered whiteline bushes thinking it will be a similar design to superpro i.e. two halves and a metal sleeve in the center but.. they are like the oem items (outer shelled also) so will not be as easy to fit :dry: also from looking at them they do not have any lips or directional indications on them, the website is poor and doesn't show you much info. Not impressed.

IMAG04351_zpsdh1ziezf.jpgI will however open the packet and get the micrometer out for a good inspection/comparison before fitting them. Hopefully an over night stay in the freezer should help them slide in easier. :cold:

Edited by evilscorp
  • Like 1