Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

The shot blasting gives the metal a rough texture so kept the old shells in, so I wouldn't need to polish them to fit the new ones. Powder coating would have been nice but cost too much and they said they were busy and would have been an extra couple of weeks to get that done. It was more spur of the moment test as I realized my W brace would have been a prime candidate for blasting also... shame I only just kicked it over tonight at the back of the garage :blush:

Buying myself an reciprocating saw :stretcher: spent hours with a hacksaw cutting out the subframe bush sleeves and only did one :lol:IMAG04371_zpszcjlgzqn.jpg

Fed up so quit and moved onto the next job till the saw turns up.

I found that the inner metal part of the old subframe bushes is the perfect thickness and diameter for pushing in the new bushes without pressing on the rubber/poly, so saves ruining a socket. Just needed a wee file/clean up after the burning it went through.

IMAG04361_zpsot7qkwa8.jpg

Had tried previously to remove the ring gear bolts and the bearings from the old diff but they are SOLID :headhurt: and I don't have a work bench. A little trip to a neighbour to find out if he is coming to the evening wedding party and if he would like the bus transport that I will be providing.... (the buttering up) ... then I happened to ask if he had a vice one his workbench and if I could use it :lol:

The bearings wouldn't budge. The bolts holding the ring gear eventually came off after having him hold the diff in place with a 19mm long socket stuck in one of the side holes and chewing up a bunch of wood to get it tight enough in the vice to stop it launching out the dam thing every time I touched the breaker bar. A while later an a small tap from the other new tool (mallet from xs shopping omg, what a find! that place has everything sooo cheap!!) and hey presto the ring gear is off.

Just waiting on new bolts... and now bearings from Ewen, at Clarkmotor sport and the end is looking visible.

IMAG04381_zpswmihhgjm.jpg

Next steps are; 1. rebuild the new diff (probably have to pester the neighbour for the vice again to torque those bolts) 2. saw out the old subframe bushes and replace with new. 3. spray subframe. 4. reinstall subframe, diff and hubs. 5. crack driveshaft nuts and remove hubs. 6. press out and change all bushes in hubs. 7. finally reassemble the rest of the rear. 8. go for a drive :drive1 then return to see whats wrong and start on the bodywork :teeth:

Dropped the subframe off at an engineering shop, deals with high end stuff. But I was a bit scared when they said it depends on the alu used as normally its a cheap alloy and will just blow straight through on car parts :scare: He is going to make the groove smoother and a bit wider so it is filled all the way through, needless to say I asked them to test on a less structurally important area first. All going well the MD may drop it off at my home tonight :lol: as he lives down my way. If not it wont be till monday and after the staggdo to pick it up. Fingers, toes and everything crossed.

Part of me knows it would have been fine to use and I may now ruin the thing just because I want it perfect :blush:

Back from being welded IMAG04781_zpsxyt5intp.jpg

Spent the next few hours grinding and sanding

IMAG04811_zpsfahyfjjp.jpg

Got it to this stage and happy with it, could probably get it flush but I have tiny nails and can barely feel the start of the weld so happy it wont ruin the new bushes, lesson learnt, go easy with power tools :lol:

IMAG04851_zps2knvlddo.jpg

Also a box arrived thanks to Torqen :ninja:

IMAG04871_zpsmppwsfwv.jpg

Edited by evilscorp

Another busy half day :yawn: getting much better with the saw :lol:

IMAG04891_zpsloceax2f.jpg Started pushing out the bushes for the spring buckets, only to find the new whiteline ones have thicker rubber/plastic innards so the metal sleeve is smaller and I have nothing that fits it :dry:

IMAG04901_zps4p2zdmzd.jpg

Chapped up the lip on the diff bushings and started cutting it off so I can try pressing them out rather than sawing and chiseling them out, sadly ran out of time (missus got home :surrender: )

IMAG04911_zps1qfu0spa.jpg

Little bit of paint and they are now ready to receive their new bushes :teeth: the middle diff bush is in the freezer so it should hopefully slide in without too much fuss, probably still have to use the press to get it in though.

IMAG04921_zpsrca4aat2.jpg

Any tips on what to use for the spring mount bushes? the inner rubber is 35.2mm wide and has a lip of <1mm(if i remember correct) and I have an old inner diff cylinder that fits the other whiteline bushes snug but doesn't with these, reluctant to file it down so it becomes baw hair thick but fits over this bush :wacko:

As always cheers for wasting your time reading this plonkers ramblings.

Problem solved hopefully, old central heating oil tank out the back of my dads is 1-2mm thick steel and needs cutting up for disposal so will kill two birds :) just hope my cheap ass hole saws can cut through it to give me a large enough washer to fit round the lip of the bush (would have used the hole saw but only have 32 and 38mm sizes so will need to do a bit of filing to get it to 35.2mm. Then I should be able to use my large socket over the steel washer. Who said drinking wine on a school day was a bad idea!

Something is wrong :wacko: that was too easy lol.

Stuck the diff bush in the freezer overnight to make it easier to fit, hence the frosty look.

IMAG04951_zpsacxad7f1.jpg

IMAG04971_zpsttcr1uyl.jpg

Excuse the poor masking lines but I don't really care/ran out of paint. May buy more and make it neater now the bushes are in.

Just need to wait till I can get a hand from my dad to get the central sleeves/cylinders lined up as I stopped pushing to adjust my fingers on two of them and they now wont budge so will need to use a bit more grease (used the supplied tube and found another one :blush: )and the press to get it sitting perfectly in line with the bush. Very easy to do this bit and happy with the end result. Dam weather is still holding me back from cutting up the oil tank which sucks. :rant:

Edited by evilscorp

Gardens and nice weather, what a waste of time! But you have to keep the missus on side :huglove:

Once I was set free I rebuilt the new KAAZ lsd, thankfully my neighbour was in as I needed his vice again to fit the ring gear bolts.

IMAG05111_zpsshewxauo.jpg

Yet again lack of tools made fitting the new bearings take longer but found a thing out of my dent/gear puller thing :lol: that was the right size to use in the press(black cone shape bit).

IMAG05131_zpseynebu4w.jpg

Used a small die to sit on the other side so not to damage the other bearing.

IMAG05161_zpsw0eaol84.jpg

So much for being able to remove the old oil seals with a screw driver, took a blunt chisel and hammer on the inside to knock them out.

IMAG05171_zpshstdu946.jpg

After that it was just a day of cleaning and sanding so the new parts fit snug in the old bits.

Should have the subframe back up along with the diff tomorrow, if the missus sleeps in hopefully :p

Edited by evilscorp

Empty

IMAG05201_zpsnm7lrvhl.jpgHalf Full :D

IMAG05221_zpsdw2fvw8o.jpg

Just need to stick the stub shafts in, but midgys stopped play :surrender:

IMAG05191_zps8izflmdk.jpg

Had such a fun day but didn't take many photos, paint pen wasn't very good for checking ring gear tooth contact so ended up using spray on lithium grease which worked better, run out was also not the easiest to check but a combination of my bore gauge and micrometer did the trick.

Yeah midges, little flying bas$&@ that I have never written or clearly spelt before lol. Cheers dude, think you are the only one who reads this thread lol.

:lol:

I thought that's what you meant but then sometimes different regions of the country/dialects etc have strange names for stuff so wondered if it was something I hadn't heard of. :blush:

I love a good hands on build thread so always enjoy reading yours & similar threads from other members. Kudos. :clap:

Elongated the toe bolt holes for spc adjustment bolts, didn't fancy cutting until the cam spins 360* so halved the size of the template removal, should be more than enough since mine is lower to a usable level not slammed like the show cars B)

IMAG05271_zpsdmhfmp1y.jpg

Then I stuck the stub shafts on the diff and disregarded health and safety while lifting the diff into place :blush: not the nicest place to be, under a heavy ass lump of metal while shoving it into place and trying to tighten bolts.

IMAG05291_zpstgivftmg.jpg

I then attempted to refit an axle and driveshaft but its definitely a two man job.

After that I had to get the missus dinner ready as its her second hen night :headhurt: not sure how she gets two but mehh! Beer run was made and two mates told to meet in pub later for some old man ale, yum.

Tried to lengthen the eibach camber arms and SPL traction arms but I didn't have a spanner big enough and only one adjustable so will need to take a trip up to my parents and borrow my dads. That also lost me some time as I had to go buy a fathers dad present (hope you lot havent forgot!) ended up getting him some laser measuring device he wanted, also bought a laser spirit gauge for him (he had asked for the first one but then thought they would both be handy to get some sort of alignment on the car to its not crabbing up to Infinity garage in glasgow to get the real one done)