Letting the Mrs drive the Zed

smudgedon

Certainly wouldn't let my kids drive it if I ever do have any!

The way I see it, its my car that i pay for and she has her car that she pays for. To do a 200mile motorway journey makes sense to use little diesel corsa

Ive been with her 3 years and shes had numerous "bumps" in her car and ive seen her stuggle to park her little corsa either in a bay or parallel park almost every time. She is not a confident driver yet she thinks she can just jump in my car and be fine

Yes if i want her to drive my car i have to give her the chance, but i dont want her driving it. She has her own car for getting around

Unless you've had a few beers. In which case all is forgiven and she's the perfect person to drive your car home.....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly wouldn't let my kids drive it if I ever do have any!

The way I see it, its my car that i pay for and she has her car that she pays for. To do a 200mile motorway journey makes sense to use little diesel corsa

Ive been with her 3 years and shes had numerous "bumps" in her car and ive seen her stuggle to park her little corsa either in a bay or parallel park almost every time. She is not a confident driver yet she thinks she can just jump in my car and be fine

Yes if i want her to drive my car i have to give her the chance, but i dont want her driving it. She has her own car for getting around

Unless you've had a few beers. In which case all is forgiven and she's the perfect person to drive your car home.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG, what are some of you guys like, thought I'd logged onto Pistonheads by mistake for a minute there for some good old fashioned, last century views.

My 'Mrs' drives mine more than me, mainly because I have this attitude of treating her as an 'equal', anyone who doesn't do this doesn't deserve to have a partner.

This has a little more meaning in our relationship as she is a British born India & in multi cultural Leeds this drives the men & boys mad, in her society women are often treated as secondary so I quite deliberately like to make a point at times, all her girlfriends & aunties think I'm wonderful!!

Just returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Ballater in Scotland, Mrs Kinabalu drove half.

It's a car, common as muck, nothing that special, not even valuable.

Hmmmm, not sure what's got into me today but there we go, call me controversial.

OMG, what are some of you guys like, thought I'd logged onto Pistonheads by mistake for a minute there for some good old fashioned, last century views.

My 'Mrs' drives mine more than me, mainly because I have this attitude of treating her as an 'equal', anyone who doesn't do this doesn't deserve to have a partner.

This has a little more meaning in our relationship as she is a British born India & in multi cultural Leeds this drives the men & boys mad, in her society women are often treated as secondary so I quite deliberately like to make a point at times, all her girlfriends & aunties think I'm wonderful!!

Just returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Ballater in Scotland, Mrs Kinabalu drove half.

It's a car, common as muck, nothing that special, not even valuable.

Hmmmm, not sure what's got into me today but there we go, call me controversial.

Now sir that is just not true :lol:

I keep trying to get my Mrs to drive my 350Z roadster but she refuses as she thinks its too wide, has too heavy steering and she knows I'd cry like a baby if it got dinged. Wish she would have a go then she could appreciate why I always have a grin on my face when I come home. It's only an old Jap car, not expensive so why not let her have a bit of fun. If she scratches it, its no big deal as it can be repaired easily. Sometimes its great to do the illogical thing?

IMO, if she's a terrible driver then no should be the answer. Some of you guys need to realise that the op is only 22/23. His gf is just as young with no experience of driving anything that powerful. Irrespective if its a Nissan 350 z or a Ferrari, 300 odd bhp is a lot for some. Imagine if she hurt the car with her inside it and also hurt herself.

I let my ex drive my old car, but only as I felt she was a good driver. Had she been not then i wouldn't have. Only person, apart from my brother, who I've ever allowed to drive any of my cars.

IMO, if she's a terrible driver then no should be the answer. Some of you guys need to realise that the op is only 22/23. His gf is just as young with no experience of driving anything that powerful. Irrespective if its a Nissan 350 z or a Ferrari, 300 odd bhp is a lot for some. Imagine if she hurt the car with her inside it and also hurt herself.

I let my ex drive my old car, but only as I felt she was a good driver. Had she been not then i wouldn't have. Only person, apart from my brother, who I've ever allowed to drive any of my cars.

Age doesnt matter tho mate, its about being sensible and a BIG thing called trust. I was 21 when I got my first 350z and I let my fiancee drive the car... yes there were a few moments where my foot went through the floor to brake but how else was she to learn? I am now 25 (getting old) and I have no worries about letting her drive my 370z with Volk 19 alloys. We all have to learn somewhere and by the way some people are talking is they would be more worried about their car being in a smash rather than their "mrs" being in the smash or bump too. Anyway each to their own... all I know is the more experience someone has in a car the more they are going to be confident in it and become a better driver regardless whether your a make or female driver.

IMO, if she's a terrible driver then no should be the answer. Some of you guys need to realise that the op is only 22/23.

No should be the answer all the time? Or when he's sober?

Age or gender doesn't come into it in my opinion. :)

Just from reading this thread I don't think the original poster has any problems with it being a woman driving...

I wouldn't be too thrilled letting anyone drive my car if they don't take much care over something they actually pay for themselves...

The only complication here is she is your girlfriend, but I would have thought if you'd been with her 3 years you could just tell her this?

Her being a woman is nothing to do with it

I don't let anyone drive my car apart from the garage if it goes in for work for obvious reasons

As for me letting her drive it when I've had a few, what's wrong with that? I'm in the car with her. She's talking about a solo 200mile trip. If I'm in the car then it's ok (just about, her driving scares me) but this is about her wanting to venture on her own in my car

Vik - I've got an amg day lined up for her bday next year, still doesn't mean she's driving mine without me :lol:

The only complication here is she is your girlfriend, but I would have thought if you'd been with her 3 years you could just tell her this?

+1 - instead of broadcasting it to a load of zed geeks that don't even know her :bangin:

Her being my gf doesnt change it. Ive told her no anyway it was just a thread to gain some opinions and spark a discussion

I remember when I first let the girlfriend use my 350z while I was away working, couldn't wait to get home and check every inch of the car to make sure she hadn't dented it or curbed an alloy...

The biggest problem is, we all take great care of our car, in regards to parking etc, but if you have a wife or girlfriend with a beat up car, they don't think any different towards your car than they do their own.

My girlfriend had a Clio which she had from brand new, but had load of little dings from car parks etc. And I am positive it got right on her nerves when I would take so much care washing the car and making sure I didn't park next to other cars etc

But I bought her a new Nissan Juke two months ago, and I think she finally gets it. Shes now experiencing the fact she doesn't park near other cars, if she does park outside a hotel etc she sits so she can see it out the window etc...

So now I don't have any qualms about letting her drive the 370z, although she has never had a shot of it yet and that's me had it 6 months so far....

women shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of any car, let alone a Zed.

S.

:lol:

Oh god :lol:

It, ok, Squee is a lady, she's allowed to say that ;)

I totally get where you're coming from on this one. The two women who I see drive regularly are my mum, who is an excellent driver and can drive the zed whenever she likes (not that often, she has a TT that is all nice and quiet and comfy) and my sister, who I'm reluctant to even let in the passenger seat because she treats cars as consumables. Nothing to do with the female-ness, her attitude towards cars means she's never getting anywhere near it.

DB

I have to say, i disagree with the comments about it just being a car, and if it get dented its only metal, etc etc...

i dont know about the OP but my zed is my pride and joy - saved up for a year to buy it outright and i'd be beside myself if anything ever happened to it. and car park dings cost - had a little bump when someone reversed into me and it cost me near £400 to put right, which is a lot for a guy in my position.

Its nothing against women drivers - i wouldnt let my brother drive my car either, as he has no experience of rwd, or anywhere near the amount of power the zed has. I let my dad drive my car with me in it as i trust him, but no one else.

if the OPs other half wants to go driving sports cars, theres a simple solution - get shot of the diseasel and buy an mx5 for a grand - if she can manage to keep that out the hedgerows for a year, then maybe she'd be qualified to drive a zed.

Just cos there is a nice car in the household, doesnt mean its fair game to be borrowed! if she wants a nice car then get her to buy a nice car!