Choice between a Cayman S or BMW M3

Jay

Hey guys and girls... my friends and I where having a good chat last night about which one of the above cars you would rather have. Yes I know they are both different and it is hard to compare... but if you had to.. which one would you take and why?

I actually cant decide on this topic and thats why I thought it would be interesting to hear your views.

So what would it be?

Jay :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cayman.......no contest. Itch scratched of owning a porker, I'm one of the few who think the Caymen is the best looking porker, fast, economical(ish), nice place to be, proper coupe.

BMW M3 - you get the nod from Saxo drivers, 3 series with bits stuck on visually, hate hate hate the sound of BMW straight 6's (is it still a 6 or has it gone V8?), people hate you, children hate you, animals hate you........ your family - they don't like you much either.

Cayman.......no contest. Itch scratched of owning a porker, I'm one of the few who think the Caymen is the best looking porker, fast, economical(ish), nice place to be, proper coupe.

BMW M3 - you get the nod from Saxo drivers, 3 series with bits stuck on visually, hate hate hate the sound of BMW straight 6's (is it still a 6 or has it gone V8?), people hate you, children hate you, animals hate you........ your family - they don't like you much either.

I'm with Ricey on this

scratch that porker itch

BMW - anyone and everyone has one, and.......massively expensive to maintain - more so than the porker (unless it goes wrong of course :blush: )

Test drove a Cayman..... Meh....

Didn't feel quicker or more special than my Zed.... Yes its a Porsche but thats all you are paying for really, even the interior didnt feel special enough...

Thats what I thought about the Cayman I had out on track. Interior is no doubt put better together with better materials, but it felt so boring in the cabin and quite cramped. On track the car was very good, better handling than the 350z I had at the time, but somehow lost a bit of the fun the Zed had. The 370z is somewhere in between the two in handling terms for me.

As for BMW vs Cayman, if it was a weekend toy, I'd take the Cayman hands down, but if I could only have one car for all it would be the BMW.

5 Years ago when I didn't have a large mortgage, a wife and cared about nothing but me, a Cayman every-time. These days though I don't think I could justify picking any 2 seater car over a E90 M3.

Yes everyone thinks your a £@$£, Yes it looks likes its just driven through Halfords, Yes is drinks super unleaded but....its got a gorgeous soundings V8 that loves to rev (the next one will be a blown in line 6), can take the whole family and all their luggage on holiday, get a manual version without the stupid electronic dampers and actually very little goes wrong with them....and they really shift. Was in the back of my mates after going out for some food and drinks, a Boxster pulled up at some lights and wanted to play. It was scary watching how a 4 door saloon with 4 adults in could make a 2 seater sports car look slow, and that was with my mates wife driving in her heels :lol:

Which of which?

Cayman S: gen 1 or 2?

M3: E46, 90 or 92?

You will need to help me out on this dan. CaymanS 2008 and BMW m3 08. As we where discussing the cars for about 28k. As if I sold the 370z that's what I could afford and one of my other mates is on the same boat as me although he is driving a rather nice Corvette :lol:

Gotcha. Didn't realise we were talking budget over spec. It'd be a gen1 Cayman for that money.

Very, very different cars. For me it would probably be the M3 I think as I prefer the V8 to the earlier M97 in the Porker, but Chris has got it spot-on when we're talking weekend vs all round car. You take the Cayman if you want something fun to throw around, you take the M3 if you need to get the kids in. Both fantastic cars, and I'd have both over a GT86.

Jay don't take this the wrong way as I really don't intend it to be but you don't strike me as someone who is particularly hard up, from the way you talk your pretty stable, well sorted, expensive rock purchased and just love your metal.........why not get something properly nuts like a Sagris :cloud9: or a Mazzer.

Yes it will break but you'll be a fully blooded petrol head by then. :thumbs:

Gotcha. Didn't realise we were talking budget over spec. It'd be a gen1 Cayman for that money.

Very, very different cars. For me it would probably be the M3 I think as I prefer the V8 to the earlier M97 in the Porker, but Chris has got it spot-on when we're talking weekend vs all round car. You take the Cayman if you want something fun to throw around, you take the M3 if you need to get the kids in. Both fantastic cars, and I'd have both over a GT86.

I saw the gt 86 the other day... not a fan looks wise but I haven't taken it out for a spin so cant comment on that. Sorry I should have been more clearer. Yeh my budget would be about 28k so the only two cars I think would fit that bill for me would be the m3 and cayman s. So thats what my friends and I were discussing. I am getting a navara for my work car... so it would be something my fiancee could drive occasionally and my weekend / night time toy ( that sounds a bit dodgy lol)

I have the porsche itch... but always liked the look and sound of the m3 :cloud9:

If you want to do the Porsche thing, then I'd be looking at a 996 turbo for that money. It really isn't going to depreciate much further, whereas you've got a new Cayman on the way early next year and the M3 won't be far behind, so either of those still have a way to fall. That way, you can get the Porsche itch done and if you don't like them then you can swap to something else without losing too much cash.

If uv got a Navara for work spend a few grand on a project car rather than 28k for a performance car that u will rarely drive and will happily depreciate on ur driveway. Especially if ur looking to buy a new pad

(Supra supra supra supra supra.......)

Jay don't take this the wrong way as I really don't intend it to be but you don't strike me as someone who is particularly hard up, from the way you talk your pretty stable, well sorted, expensive rock purchased and just love your metal.........why not get something properly nuts like a Sagris :cloud9: or a Mazzer.

Yes it will break but you'll be a fully blooded petrol head by then. :thumbs:

haaha I wish that I could afford a TVR mate, but I need to be fairly sensible about the next purchase. I dont think an m3 or and cayman s is a bad choice. Irfan... I dont really want a project car mate... I did toy with the idea.. but I like the luxury side of sports cars now... cant be doing with the 10 year car and then spending a fortune on it etc etc.

Tough choice.. I have been offered a cayman s for a decent price and I am tempted. Going to go see the m3 today I think aswell. Here is the cayman s:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/uk/clie ... 1&caller_=

I wouldn't be giving the Cayman a second glance for 28K, 911 all the way. Is your possible age cayman still in the line of Possible IMS issues? As for the BMW, 28K will get you a E46 CSL, which will also be nicely depreciation resistant.

Jay, that link goes to a 911 GTS4 for me.

Strange, I just clicked the link and it goes to the cayman s.

I dont really want an older 911 guys plus insurance for me would be a fricking nightmare :blush:

And the Cayman or M3 will be much better?

Yeh i did a rough check and the 911 will cost roughly an extra £400 odd. Plus if something was to go wrong with the 911 I would be in some serious trouble. The cayman or m3 will come with a warranty as it will be bought through a dealership :)

Definitely the M3. Rated as probably the best car in the world in nearly all the reviews ive read. I seriously considered one when I bought my 123d a few weeks back as I could have picked up a 2nd hand V8 M3 for the same money. But, only thing which put me off was the running costs as it would be by daily commuter!

Right, gotcha. Cayman with a warranty is a very safe thing indeed, but bear mind you cannot mod a single thing on it. No non-N rated tyres, no different wheels, no aftermarket exhausts. I'm not sure how restrictive the BMW warranty is, probably less, but probably less comprehensive. Not sure if any of that matters to you or not.

If you need the space, then go for the M3. If you don't, get the Cayman.