Replacing belts, lightweight pulleys worth it?

Arran

Morning guys

Got some spare cash after ordering the bits that need doing and I was thinking whilst the auxiliary belts are being done is it worthwhile getting a set of lightweight/underdrive pulleys, japspeed sell them at 99 quid, haven't searched to see if anyone else sells them.

Just seeing if any of you guys have them or any experience of them?

Cheers guys

Arran

Hi Arran

Save your money mate for something that will make a noticable difference.

A know a few guys that were under thE impression that fitting those lightweight pulleys would make noticable gains.

They all said the same thing afterwards.

When put on the dyno there was no difference!

Save up for the spacer and uprev:)

B)

Fair enough mate, there goes that idea :lol: il be getting the Horsham stage 1 pack at the end of the month which has the spacer in it as you know. Then it will be uprev time B) was just thinking maybe the pulleys would be worthwhile especially of combined with the rest of the mods.

Ring up Abbey and press option 1. Ask Scott (who will give you an honest answer) based on his experience of selling parts as to what are the benifits of fitting them?

He told me that in my case not to waste my money!

So I spent the money saved on cream buns as you can tell by the size of my belly:):)

I am no expert Arran far from it, but joining this site and just browsing through the posts will give you a wealth of knowledge.

I recon I have saved a good £3k by adopting this approach.

B)

The pulleys don't make a difference on the dyno. Something to do with inertia. Personally I got some AMS pulleys and did a idler pulley delete. I personally think its made a massive difference at sub 3.5krpm to resposiveness and acceleration. It's easy just to jump up 5mph now when driving at 30.

Ring up Abbey and press option 1. Ask Scott (who will give you an honest answer) based on his experience of selling parts as to what are the benifits of fitting them?

Abbey are very knowledgable and good guys, no doubt, but I question the logic of phoning someone who wants to make money out of you to ask them what they recommend you do to your car ......... ;)

Abbey are very knowledgable and good guys, no doubt, but I question the logic of phoning someone who wants to make money out of you to ask them what they recommend you do to your car ......... ;)

Always the cynic

lightweight pulleys should make the engine more responsive at lower revs similar to adding a lightweight fly but by no means as much of a change.

They won't do anything for power or torque just aid the engine to respond to transient events.

Always the cynic

It was a bit of advice I got a good few years ago thats served me well since then, not everyone is as honest as Abbey are and you arent in a position to judge when you have gone to them for info.

Get your information from owners clubs, then go talk to the guy who is going to sell it to you, not the other way round. Call it cynical if you like but its ......... actually, why do I even bother justifying myself, OP, take my advice or ignore it, its up to you. :dry:

Just make sure the japspeed ones are balanced otherwise it could make the bearings on the crank work a bit harder. I've got AMS ones, cant really tell the difference but I had them installed same time as uprev and decats, but I tend to need the sledgehammer approach to notice anything.

Abbey are very knowledgable and good guys, no doubt.......... ;)

Nobody has questioned your logic. However, the OP was advised to phone Abbey for some advice. In your own words Abbey are 'knowledgeable and good guys' and I am sure their business is profitable enough without having to stiff someone into buying a relatively cheap part. Furthermore, at no point did the OP indicate that he intended to buy from or Abbey or use them to fit the part.

What I basically trying to say is the advice offered by you, while prudent in most situations, holds no real............actually, why do I even bother? C0ck.

Abbey are very knowledgable and good guys, no doubt.......... ;)

Nobody has questioned your logic. However, the OP was advised to phone Abbey for some advice. In your own words Abbey are 'knowledgeable and good guys' and I am sure their business is profitable enough without having to stiff someone into buying a relatively cheap part. Furthermore, at no point did the OP indicate that he intended to buy from or Abbey or use them to fit the part.

What I basically trying to say is the advice offered by you, while prudent in most situations, holds no real............actually, why do I even bother? C0ck.

:lol::lol:

Jesus Christ, Im not arguing with anyone, Im just saying that generally speaking impartial advice is the best way to go. Abbey are not impartial, neither is Horsham or even Nissan UK FFS, they arent going to recommend products that they dont sell. If you cant see that then you may as well use money as bog paper :headhurt:

All Ive ever tried to do on here is use the amount of times Ive paid too much, bought the wrong thing, taken the wrong advice, used something wrongly, got the wrong person to fit it or generally ballsed something up to try and help others avoid the same mistakes, and I get called a ****, it gets suggested that Im some kind of liar, some kind of outlaw and god knows what else. :yawn:

I know Ian doesnt believe me but Ive been pissing about with jap and high performance cars for the last 15 years and have been heavily involved with a number of clubs, if you choose to ignore what I say then more power to you but to take the **** just shows you to be what most of the world thinks of this club, a bunch of stuck up old farts who enjoy polishing their cars more than driving them.

Ive been told on here that a Land Rover on winter tyres will have more grip than a 350Z, that you need uprated traction control to drift, that 4 matching remoulds are safer than a pair of RE050's and a pair of MPS2's, you will die if you even look at the VDC, that you can trail brake past the apex of a corner, predetonation only damages an engine a small amount each time, that no FWD car will ever match a 350Z, that a VXR Astra shouldnt be quicker under any circumstances and some of the stuff Ive seen regarding wheels is ridiculous ........... but as long as you all agree with each other it must be right.

Jesus Christ, Im not arguing with anyone, Im just saying that generally speaking impartial advice is the best way to go. Abbey are not impartial, neither is Horsham or even Nissan UK FFS, they arent going to recommend products that they dont sell. If you cant see that then you may as well use money as bog paper :headhurt:

All Ive ever tried to do on here is use the amount of times Ive paid too much, bought the wrong thing, taken the wrong advice, used something wrongly, got the wrong person to fit it or generally ballsed something up to try and help others avoid the same mistakes, and I get called a ****, it gets suggested that Im some kind of liar, some kind of outlaw and god knows what else. :yawn:

I know Ian doesnt believe me but Ive been pissing about with jap and high performance cars for the last 15 years and have been heavily involved with a number of clubs, if you choose to ignore what I say then more power to you but to take the **** just shows you to be what most of the world thinks of this club, a bunch of stuck up old farts who enjoy polishing their cars more than driving them.

Ive been told on here that a Land Rover on winter tyres will have more grip than a 350Z, that you need uprated traction control to drift, that 4 matching remoulds are safer than a pair of RE050's and a pair of MPS2's, you will die if you even look at the VDC, that you can trail brake past the apex of a corner, predetonation only damages an engine a small amount each time, that no FWD car will ever match a 350Z, that a VXR Astra shouldnt be quicker under any circumstances and some of the stuff Ive seen regarding wheels is ridiculous ........... but as long as you all agree with each other it must be right.

:lol::lol:

The point the Doc was making is that when people are selling you things they will do it to benifit themselves. Now I've personally doing Abbey to be very good as the Doc has pointed put but not all people are as good. Poor analogy here but if your hungry for fish and chips and you phone up a kebab shop you might end up with a kebab.

I've had garages say parts won't fit and when I tried they fit fine. I've been sold things they don't fit my car when I was explicitly sold they would. I just asked the wrong people. Also tuning is a dark art as such some people swear by one thing and not another. Why are they so many different plenum spacer sizes and angles, everyone can prove they are better than the next but sometimes you have to make your own choices. Unless I was getting it fitted by Abbey I wouldn't ring at all personally.

Morning guys

Got some spare cash after ordering the bits that need doing and I was thinking whilst the auxiliary belts are being done is it worthwhile getting a set of lightweight/underdrive pulleys, japspeed sell them at 99 quid, haven't searched to see if anyone else sells them.

Just seeing if any of you guys have them or any experience of them?

Cheers guys

Arran

It's gone a bit OT :lol:

Don't get japspeed stuff. If your going to get pulleys get AMS. They see awesome quality and super light. They also have a steel "collar" to stop main seal leaks or oil coming out from the crank bit. In the kit you get crank alt and idler pulley. I just removed the older pulley to copy 06 engines. You could just replace the pulley you get in the lot but it does nothing.

I have a review on them when I'm on the of il send you the link :thumbs:

This game of tic tac toe is my fault, I put my hands up!

Scott advised me not to buy the pulleys, and often advises me not to waste my money

on trinkets if they do not work.

Not once has he tried to sell me a different product just for the sake of making money.

I was down there again today and they did not charge for work carried out on the car!

Anyway this is Arrans thread and as a new member we should be encouraging him

not arguing amongst ourselves!

Now moving on:)

B)

Every benefit as they advised me not to buy them and save my money as I am not a F1 driver!!

Not once has he tried to sell me a different product just for the sake of making money.

Thats not what Im saying at all, I know they wouldnt do that and Im not trying to cast any aspersions on Abbey Nissan. But they arent going to advise you to go to Horsham for a remap or use an ACT clutch either, for instance :)

Ok so it's a mixed review on wether to get them, where can I find AMS ones? Seems to be America only? If they cost a small fortune then il use the money for a Scorpion :lol:

You guys carry on with the handbags :snack: all advice is taken on board aswell

Would be nice to have them but this car isnt going to be a money pit like the last one :wacko:

Personally, fart and old I can deal with, stuck up, come on give me a break :lol:

Ok so it's a mixed review on wether to get them, where can I find AMS ones? Seems to be America only? If they cost a small fortune then il use the money for a Scorpion :lol:

Would be nice to have them but this car isnt going to be a money pit like the last one :wacko:

:pmtarmac: but if you said you don't want to spend too much an exhaust will give you more pleasure. If you got the money to burn they are ok. If not then your not going to be losing out on so much power or anything. Generally this is a later mod after exhaust spacer etc

Theres far too many variables for you to give it as gospel that X car is faster than Y car.

So the reverse is true as well? Ive seen and been involved in enough of these stupid "xyz vs zyx" threads to know that theres no definitives as you dont know what the other guy is doing, never mind what he has under the bonnet. The Ibiza I mentioned was running huuuge power, I know because I met the guys best mate about a fortnight after :)

Regardless, believe it or not Im not here to argue, but I still stand by the fact that a trader by definition cant give impartial advice as they are not going to recommend their competitiors to you.

Ha ha nice one Arran.

Unfortunately it does get very hand bags at 10 paces on here.

Most of the members are very good and offer sound advice.

Just the same one or too who seem to get off on causing controversy and you can see the result.

Hopefully the mods will cut it all out and we can get back to what is at hand.

Your pulleys.

But you have already come to the right conclusion on that one!

Anyway no doubt we will see you Thursday seeing Dip has aproved the colour of your car:)

:wave: