Replacing belts, lightweight pulleys worth it?

Arran

The pulleys wernt a mod that I'd go out the way to do but thought may aswell do it whilst belt are off but if japspeed ones are no go then so be it, won't be spending around 200 on something that doesn't make to much of a difference. Maybe if a second hand set of ams came up at the right price then yeah I'd do it but for now il leave it

I shall see some of you Thursday yeah B)

The pulleys wernt a mod that I'd go out the way to do but thought may aswell do it whilst belt are off but if japspeed ones are no go then so be it, won't be spending around 200 on something that doesn't make to much of a difference. Maybe if a second hand set of ams came up at the right price then yeah I'd do it but for now il leave it

I shall see some of you Thursday yeah B)

It does make a difference, car is certainly nippier under 3.5krpm. According to the car I have gained 1 mpg too, But i dont know. The old ones are really really heavy compared to the ams ones and the ams ones arent under driven either. But its always power to £ ratio or £ to grin factor. Exhaust and intakes usually win that but if you do have a couple of hundred quid spare then its a good upgrade. :thumbs:

Also belt change will be 30 mins to 1 hour but it took me alot longer to change my pulleys. Mine isnt a manual but even on other cars I have changed pulleys on its alot longer than just the belt change. :thumbs:

I have tidied up the thread a bit.

Please keep it on topic.

As for pulleys, I've always been led to believe (by researching them) that they'll make quite a bit of difference to responsiveness by reducing mass on the crank.

No increases in numbers though.

Cheers guys, well I do have a couple hundred spare but that was going to go on the h Dev stage 1 pack and uprev next month so would rather do that first I think but the AMS do sound good, if I have enough next month I will possibly get them :boxing:

If you do a search deep into the archives, you will find a post from waaaay back in the day by a member called Pyro. His engine blew & Nissan blamed the engine failure on the lightweight pulleys.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Japspeed. The AMS ones look a nice piece of kit though & I was tempted to get a smaller crank pulley when I had my car so that I could increase the boost a bit.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Japspeed.

Does that include the tray that goes under the engine Ian?

B)

Is that not Z Speed?

Japspeed used to trade on here. We removed their trading rights.

If you do a search deep into the archives, you will find a post from waaaay back in the day by a member called Pyro. His engine blew & Nissan blamed the engine failure on the lightweight pulleys.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything Japspeed. The AMS ones look a nice piece of kit though & I was tempted to get a smaller crank pulley when I had my car so that I could increase the boost a bit.

If Nissan told it me was Monday today I'd check my calender...

there is alot of speculation on this and there is 2 camps. 1 that the oem crank pulley is a harmonic damper and it absorbs vibrations. The second and correct theory ;) is that the oem crank pulley is only a heavy piece of metal. Its not got a rubber damper in it as some people say. The crank is internally balanced and a v6 crank is quite short and quite stout. Changing the crank pulley will have little to no effect on the crank.

There is a few people running them for 100k miles in the states. I did alot of research before buying them as obviously I wouldnt want to damage anything. :thumbs: