The Plan..

mbcx4jrh

My 370 GT Edition is currently stock.. however I'm starting to put a plan together of what I might do to it over the next year. I would any opinions or advice as this is my first car I've done much too apart from a remap.

Here's the current planned mods

Bonnet:

I think I saw some hydraulic bonnet supports that could replace the basic one i have right now - or was that just the 350, as I cant seem to find it again?

Intake:

Looks like Stillen Gen3 or K&N Typoon. For the Stillen the bumper has to come off - how difficult is this really? For the K&N the washer bottle needs relocating, and therefore also seems to need the bumper off as well.

I've also looked at the JWT Pop Charger - anyone have them in stock, or experience on the 370?

Spacers:

23mm seems to be the consensus so far. I cant quite grasp how easy they are to fit though..

Exhaust:

Definitely need one, something that sounds pretty good, give a bit of a boost, but doesnt get annoying on long motorway journeys.

Invidia and the Stillen sounds good to me right now.

HFCs:

Not sure if I should invest in these? What do they add?

Uprev:

Once the above is done, then apply this... Abbey seems the place to be for this..

Anything else I should consider? I have thought about lowering it, but I have enough problems where I live at the moment, so will leave that.

So some questions:

What can be done at home, by me, with limited mechanical experience? I'm happy buying tools, learning, etc .. but equally dont want to bite off more than I can chew and screw up my motor. The bonnet looks easy, as does a JTW Pop Charger, I start to worry about bumper removal, and then even more about the exhaust. Worth learning and taking it slowly or just pay for fitting?

Additionally - does it make any difference if these mods are done one by one over a year or two, or would it be better in one big go so that the remap looks after the engine after the mods? One by one slowly is preferable to me cos I'd like to do as much as possible..

Finally any recommendations for places Bristol way that are good for this lot? Both to talk to, and get some of the work done..

Thanks

joe

PS let me add :pmzmanalex::pmtarmac: myself, before anyone else does. ;)

Do your power gain mods before the remap

HFC are high flow cats, the stock ones are restrictive so these will make the exhaust more free flowing, they also give the exhaust a louder more aggressive tone

Doogyrev and Zugara changed my exhaust :thumbs: I have a stillen intake and did that myself

Check with Ebized and Will370z for exhaust ideas on a 370

I did my exhaust with a friend off axle stands - not a problem - the real ballache is the HFC's, again we did it, but its not for the faint hearted (in retrospect - for the HFC's - I'd have someone else do it)

Intake, won't add much, except noise, if anything that a good panel filter would (cosworth).

Bonnet Stay Dampers, are available from the US but some modification (don't know exactly what) is required, ssounds like too much of a ball ache.

Spacers, 25mm front and rear works, CS, ZMANALEX etc can supply, Eibach was my choice.

Exhaust, The ones you mention are tried and tested though I think some have had fitting issues with the Stillen, some not, the options are endless, Akrapovic again was my choice, but consider a custom system.

HFC's, you will have a ball ache of a time if you try and fit these yourself without a ramp, you need access both top and bottom, a reputable garage will have this done in about 45min, the intake needs to be moved out the way for fitment, but is returned to its original position. They sound fantastic IMHO, coupled with an aftermarket exhaust.

UpRev, will tie in all the mods and give a reasonable increase in hp along with smoother fueling and more torque, a must when modded IMO.

Anything else other than serious internals and/or turbo/super charger is purely cosmetic and entirely up to you, your budget and taste.

Oh, nearly forgot brakes, this may be something you might want to do, depending on your style of driving :shrug:

Intake, won't add much, except noise, if anything that a good panel filter would (cosworth). +1

Bonnet Stay Dampers, are available from the US but some modification (don't know exactly what) is required, ssounds like too much of a ball ache. + Not sure if there are any issues arising because of the built in bonnet lifters.....and if your were so unfortunate to have a front end shunt.

Spacers, 25mm front and rear works, CS, ZMANALEX etc can supply, Eibach was my choice. +1

Exhaust, The ones you mention are tried and tested though I think some have had fitting issues with the Stillen, some not, the options are endless, Akrapovic again was my choice, but consider a custom system. There are no problems fitting the Stillen exhaust (although Gman may be thinking about the welds around the flanges that on will370z' sysytem needed fining down for the bolt fitting). The 'issues' arise for some when trying to add the hi flow cats that dropped the exhausts of some 370's so it would not clear the central body brace.

HFC's, you will have a ball ache of a time if you try and fit these yourself without a ramp, you need access both top and bottom, a reputable garage will have this done in about 45min, the intake needs to be moved out the way for fitment, but is returned to its original position. They sound fantastic IMHO, coupled with an aftermarket exhaust. Fair comment

UpRev, will tie in all the mods and give a reasonable increase in hp along with smoother fueling and more torque, a must when modded IMO. +1 (not to be underestimated on the 370 to really improve the performance and drive)

Anything else other than serious internals and/or turbo/super charger is purely cosmetic and entirely up to you, your budget and taste. +1

Oh, nearly forgot brakes, this may be something you might want to do, depending on your style of driving :shrug:The OEM brakes are fine for road and spirited driving use but if you inend to do any regular track work or go FI then yes brake upgrade should be done

My 370 GT Edition is currently stock.. however I'm starting to put a plan together of what I might do to it over the next year. I would any opinions or advice as this is my first car I've done much too apart from a remap.

Here's the current planned mods

Bonnet:

I think I saw some hydraulic bonnet supports that could replace the basic one i have right now - or was that just the 350, as I cant seem to find it again?

Here's somewhere selling what I presume you're referring to: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/370z08/30-8315 (carbon). Must admit, I've always liked the idea of them too... The stock ones on my previous Z4 sDrive35i were great :thumbs:

Intake:

Looks like Stillen Gen3 or K&N Typoon. For the Stillen the bumper has to come off - how difficult is this really? For the K&N the washer bottle needs relocating, and therefore also seems to need the bumper off as well.

I've also looked at the JWT Pop Charger - anyone have them in stock, or experience on the 370?

Wouldn't know much about this stuff, although I'd expect the bumper's going to need removing for any of the bigger/fuller systems.

Spacers:

23mm seems to be the consensus so far. I cant quite grasp how easy they are to fit though..

Colin (Ebized) and I are running 25mm all round - dead easy to install! Simply a case of removing the wheel, putting a spacer over the car's existing studs and torquing up using bolts supplied with the spacer (as you would when refitting a wheel), then refitting the wheel onto new studs built into the spacer, just like you would had the spacer not been there. I got a really good deal on mine from Rare Rims (a trader on here) with a 10% forum discount. They're Bimecc items and available in black or silver (I went with black to match my GT Edition wheels :thumbs: )

Exhaust:

Definitely need one, something that sounds pretty good, give a bit of a boost, but doesnt get annoying on long motorway journeys.

Invidia and the Stillen sounds good to me right now.

I've got the Invidia - absolutely delighted with it! Sounds like you've got similar requirements to me - wanting more sound, but strictly not wanting to ruin the everyday-ness. If you do a search on the US forums, you'll find plenty of people singing their praises for being a decent amount louder and deeper without being intrusive. I had mine fitted at my local garage for £50, but I was told (and have read many times online) that the install was a doddle. It's a fantastically well-made system (having inspected all the parts when it arrived B) ) and the sound is fantastic - a lovely deep burble at low revs and start up that turns into a scream at higher rpm, yet it could be mistaken for a very-nice-sounding OEM system, rather than boy-racery. I'm not a fan of systems that just drone or bellow throughout the rev range as they sound a bit toneless to me, so this is fantastic as the note distinctly changes from muscle car to highly-strung race car :drive1 I'm still evaluating mine (I've had it a month or so now), but the great thing is that it allows you to upgrade without fearing it'll be too much, yet if you do want more sound later on, there's always HFC's (Stillen, Berk and Invidia seem to be the popular and readily-available choices). It's a shame you're such a distance away, as you'd have been more than welcome to come and have had a listen to my car :headhurt: On the upside, I may try to get out at lunch to finally get some photos and sound :thumbs:

HFCs:

High Flow Cats: Apparently, it's a more 'race car' sound, but they sit right underneath the cabin, so you have to be sure you'll be able to put up with the extra volume and, I get the impression, extra drone.

Uprev:

Once the above is done, then apply this... Abbey seems the place to be for this..

As has been said, most people seem to recommend doing this post-upgrades. I'm told that the upgrades alone won't yield particularly fantastic performance increases, it's the uprev afterwards that really squeezes the best out of them, if you're after a performance jump to go with the extra noise.

Anything else I should consider? I have thought about lowering it, but I have enough problems where I live at the moment, so will leave that.

I'm probably going to skip a full intake system and instead get myself a couple of Cosworth drop-in filters. I've read that they make a worthwhile difference for the £70-ish. Horsham Developments (another trader here) sell them.

So some questions:

What can be done at home, by me, with limited mechanical experience? I'm happy buying tools, learning, etc .. but equally dont want to bite off more than I can chew and screw up my motor. The bonnet looks easy, as does a JTW Pop Charger, I start to worry about bumper removal, and then even more about the exhaust. Worth learning and taking it slowly or just pay for fitting?

Additionally - does it make any difference if these mods are done one by one over a year or two, or would it be better in one big go so that the remap looks after the engine after the mods? One by one slowly is preferable to me cos I'd like to do as much as possible..

Finally any recommendations for places Bristol way that are good for this lot? Both to talk to, and get some of the work done..

Thanks

joe

PS let me add :pmzmanalex::pmtarmac: myself, before anyone else does. ;)

HFCs:

High Flow Cats: Apparently, it's a more 'race car' sound, but they sit right underneath the cabin, so you have to be sure you'll be able to put up with the extra volume and, I get the impression, extra drone.

I've got the HFC's - categorically - no drone :thumbs: and adds a lovely hss when you take your foot off the loud pedal (some don't like it, but I do.

They're a biatch to fit though :thumbdown:

Uprev:

As has been said, most people seem to recommend doing this post-upgrades. I'm told that the upgrades alone won't yield particularly fantastic performance increases, it's the uprev afterwards that really squeezes the best out of them, if you're after a performance jump to go with the extra noise.

Slight correction. Unlike the 350, the ecu on 370 does allow and keep performance increases, as it was found on mine - the Stillen Exhaust had added some extra 18bhp over stock (as claimed) for me a year or so earlier. BUT, those carrying out the uprevs have found the 370's are set to run overly rich from the factory whilst the mapping can be adjusted to suit personal preferences. What I found, and I believe it is much the same for others, is that although power increases can be maximised with the uprev to suit -the process of leaning off the mixture means the mpg is not adversely affected and can even be improved....as I have found on the motorway trips ;)

That said, the synchro rev works so well that together with the mods/uprev you just can't help yourself enjoying the combination so then the mpg goes back down :lol: But like anything to do with mpg (and if that really is a concern) it all comes back to how you use your right foot :teeth:

A lot of info for you there fella, the only things i am going to add are practical and i have done myself, firstly bumper removal is easy for Gen 3's which imho are the best aftermarket intakes and won't suffer from heat loss, all it requires is patience a spanner + screwdriver and preferably a mate to help lift it off, but it can be done on your own cos i did it that way, if you look on the american forum there are detailed instructions of how to do the job, the only thing to be aware of is that if you undo the pedestrian bonnet safety system electrical connectors it will give a warning light on dash which will have to be reset at next service but doesn't affect car at all.

Hydraulic bonnet lifters can be done on UK 370's but it is a real difficult job, the kit comes from USA and on there forum it is doddle because they don't have the pedestrian bonnet safety system which is where they fit the strut mounting so you have to find a new place to bolt them and there isn't one ( i imported the struts in total ignorance of this ). Fortunately working for an engineering company i had access to the tools and equipment ( riv nuts ) to make new bonnet mountings a job not for the faint hearted.

Thanks for all the info.

Re Bonnet: I thought the pedestrian system might interfere.. so i guess this has to stay for now.

Re Spacers: Sounds easy then. 25mm it is.

Re Exhaust: anyone got an invidia or stillen and within 50 miles or so of Bristol? I'd love to come over and have a listen. Might attempt myself or more likely just pay someone local 50 quid to fit..

Re HFCs: probably leave for now but budget in later

Re Air intake: Been looking at cosworth filters, but also like the look of the stillen under the bonnet bling ;)

cheers

joe

I've got the HFC's - categorically - no drone :thumbs: and adds a lovely hss when you take your foot off the loud pedal (some don't like it, but I do.

They're a biatch to fit though :thumbdown:

Thanks for the clarification :thumbs: They do sound tempting, although I'm starting to think I've got the noise levels exactly where I want them on mine... any more would be into the 'definitely can't be mistaken for stock' area. Still, good to know the option exists if I do ever want more shouting :angry:;)

light correction. Unlike the 350, the ecu on 370 does allow and keep performance increases, as it was found on mine - the Stillen Exhaust had added some extra 18bhp over stock (as claimed) for me a year or so earlier. BUT, those carrying out the uprevs have found the 370's are set to run overly rich from the factory whilst the mapping can be adjusted to suit personal preferences. What I found, and I believe it is much the same for others, is that although power increases can be maximised with the uprev to suit -the process of leaning off the mixture means the mpg is not adversely affected and can even be improved....as I have found on the motorway trips ;)

Ahh, interesting! So on the 370Z, you can still benefit performance-wise from mods without an UpRev, but then the UpRev can be used to either squeeze absolute performance out of them, or cash in on MPG gains for the same level of performance? While we're on that topic, did I read that various UpRev maps are made available via the cruise control/speed limiter steering wheel switch? If that's the case, do you lose access to cruise/limiter functionality?

---

As for exhausts, I finally got out and made a (very quick and, upon getting back to have a proper look, very bad!) video of my Invidia Gemini:

. If I get a chance soon, I'll get out again with a tripod and a better stretch of road, but at least that's something to go on for now :thumbs: Can't recommend it highly enough :#1:

light correction. Unlike the 350, the ecu on 370 does allow and keep performance increases, as it was found on mine - the Stillen Exhaust had added some extra 18bhp over stock (as claimed) for me a year or so earlier. BUT, those carrying out the uprevs have found the 370's are set to run overly rich from the factory whilst the mapping can be adjusted to suit personal preferences. What I found, and I believe it is much the same for others, is that although power increases can be maximised with the uprev to suit -the process of leaning off the mixture means the mpg is not adversely affected and can even be improved....as I have found on the motorway trips ;)

Ahh, interesting! So on the 370Z, you can still benefit performance-wise from mods without an UpRev,

To confuse matters even further, if you have an aftermarket exhaust and Stillen Gen3 intakes, the way they have changed the diameter of the intake means it will lean the mix out just like you get on an UpRev just not custom tuned to your car. So while Colin saw good gains after his UpRev (with Stillen exhaust), I only saw a few HP increase in mine with UpRev (with Stillen exhuast and intakes). So we could only deduce that the Stillen intakes dont give much actual power but they do fiddle the mapping nicely. I still go UpRev done for safety so we knew exactly what it was doing, and I'd advise anyone that gets the exhuast/intakes combo to do the same.

I would consider the Fast Intentions, Berk or Injen over the Stillen personally.

370z Fast intentions and Invidia Gemini systems and Berks are in stock :thumbs:

I agree, given the drop in quality of the newer stillen exhausts and the issues with compatibility with HFCs i find after my experience i cannot recommend the newer Stillen exhausts and in hindsight would have gone for something else.

I have also noticed it has started to rust, despite the fact that its only 3-4 months old and i clean it regularly. Stillen exhausts are definitely not what they used to be.

However it does sounds fantastic.

I would consider the Fast Intentions, Berk or Injen over the Stillen personally.

370z Fast intentions and Invidia Gemini systems and Berks are in stock :thumbs:

I agree, given the drop in quality of the newer stillen exhausts and the issues with compatibility with HFCs i find after my experience i cannot recommend the newer Stillen exhausts and in hindsight would have gone for something else.

I have also noticed it has started to rust, despite the fact that its only 3-4 months old and i clean it regularly. Stillen exhausts are definitely not what they used to be.

However it does sounds fantastic.

Started to rust :surrender: You are not having much luck with these mods will :headhurt: