I've seen my potential first 350z - help!

jonnykerm

Hi all, i've just registered with the forum to try and gain some knowledge. I'm hoping to trade in my beloved Mk1 MX5 for a Z. I've seen one at a local garage, in blue, GT pack, 2003, 56k and it seems to tick all the boxes. I'm a bit nervous as I know MX5's like the back of my hand, but don't know what to look for in terms of a Z. I've read all the buyers guides on here but can anyone give me any extra advice?

Thanks in advance.

Jonny

On a run I get over 30mpg, around town low 20s. Its all how you drive them. Fuel consumption is much better than my celica GT4 and not a whole lot less than my 207gti...guess which is the better looking and more dun one to drive... lol

One drive of a zed and you'll be hooked :)

Clutch doesn't automatically die at a certain mileage so just check it's ok, service you can do yourself for cheaper than a garage an clicky axle may sous annoying but doesn't affect anything, just the noise. Also a cheapish fix for it on here. I went from a turboed mx5 mk1 and haven't looked back! Zed is a different league :thumbs:

What do I look for in a duff clutch?

Also, isn't a major service with plugs due around this mileage?

High bitting point, noisy thrust release bearing, they all sound a tad ropey when the pedal is released, engine running and in neutral though.Thats a trait of a 350z

As said, clicky axle, simple fix. Just a few hours of your time and some grease.

Plugs circa 50k.

Make sure on service history, and if possible call the garages that have serviced it to confirm that they actually did service the car, they will tell you if there was any major issues with the car.

Just been to look at it, and I walked away for these reasons:

• There was only 2 Nissan stamps in the book (all others were different local garages)

• Cheap tyres all around

• Wouldn't give me enough for my MX5 (I know they never do, but I explained my car on the phone to him yesterday and he promised £1500 for it, but went back on his word today, and I did give him a very good description of my car even explaining there was some rust)

• Salesman was a complete dick and wore far too much jewellery. He was taking calls from other potential buyers while I was looking around the car and wasn't paying any attention to me

• No tax on it at all

• Due a service which he refused to do

The hunt continues, but I think I might buy privately then at least I don't have to deal with old school idiot salesmen.