Well I broke it.......driving sensibly!

oj121

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! Mixed tyres will be the reason you had a spin, once you get it fixed get the fronts changed ASAP

Lots of people don't spin on mixed tyres y'know, it's not instant crash and burn.

+1 to that... i cant see how michelins on the front and bridgestones on the back would a bad thing!

Now im thinking, to be honest, why dont tyre manufacturers do complimentary front and rear tyres? Since the fronts are 100% steering, whereas rears are more like 70% power and 30% steering, makes sense to me to have different tread patterns front to back? :shrug:

hot weather followed by wet weather often leads to slippery roads, the first rain after a spell of heat brigns all the crap to the surface. was it wet when you went off?

these things happen, learn from it and move on; no point dwelling on it.

sorry to hear about it, if you need a good bodyshop there is one near me at martlesham. :thumbs:

hot weather followed by wet weather often leads to slippery roads, the first rain after a spell of heat brigns all the crap to the surface. was it wet when you went off?

these things happen, learn from it and move on; no point dwelling on it.

all oil and crud gets to the top making it greasy.

hope you get it sorted.

That's a pity. Get insurance to sort it, sort the tyre mixture out, and take care out there. :console:

Ouch! Mixed tyres will be the reason you had a spin, once you get it fixed get the fronts changed ASAP

Lots of people don't spin on mixed tyres y'know, it's not instant crash and burn.

+1 to that... i cant see how michelins on the front and bridgestones on the back would a bad thing!

Now im thinking, to be honest, why dont tyre manufacturers do complimentary front and rear tyres? Since the fronts are 100% steering, whereas rears are more like 70% power and 30% steering, makes sense to me to have different tread patterns front to back? :shrug:

It's all do with how you treat the car, if driven a too spirited manner in certain circumstances or abused, and mix that with mixed tread patterns and mixed compound and you're asking for trouble. ;)

NO NO NO!! The moment you put mixed tyres on you know the 350Z will head straight for the nearest ditch, the same as if you turn the TC off, you are effectively laughing in the face of death! :stir:

The TC isnt all that quick TBH, if it was a narrow road I can see how youd hit stuff before it had a chance. :(

2nd gear at 30mph is in the Z sweet spot for torque, just a slight touch in the wet on a sharp bend will get the back end thinking.

But I feel for you mate :console:

I dont even drive mine in the wet im that much of a pussy.

Hope you get it fixd soon!

NO NO NO!! The moment you put mixed tyres on you know the 350Z will head straight for the nearest ditch, the same as if you turn the TC off, you are effectively laughing in the face of death! :stir:

The TC isnt all that quick TBH, if it was a narrow road I can see how youd hit stuff before it had a chance. :(

Maybe you are, you can't handle the z :p;)

The TC interferes a little late, then again, I don't think the zed is exactly like a tvr to drive, it's pretty damn predictable.

2nd gear at 30mph is in the Z sweet spot for torque, just a slight touch in the wet on a sharp bend will get the back end thinking.

But I feel for you mate :console:

I dont even drive mine in the wet im that much of a pussy.

Hope you get it fixd soon!

Isn't yours charged now anyways? :)

Unfortunately I am as the RE's are almost new.

You are running REO40's??????????

Absolutely undoubtedly your answer........those things are fecking leathal.

I had them on my RX8 and I nearly 360'd twice in the first few weeks. Swapped them for vreds and never even had a twitch after that (in fact I test drove a 24k brand spanker and nearly binned it on the test drive :scare: ).

Simply the most shocking tyre I've encountered.........and I've ran a car with Nankangs.

We've ran mixed tyres front and rear on the 350 since we've had it........its never so much as stepped out once (Falkens front - ditchies on the rear).

I had them on my RX8 and I nearly 360'd twice in the first few weeks. Swapped them for vreds and never even had a twitch after that (in fact I test drove a 24k brand spanker and nearly binned it on the test drive :scare: ).

Simply the most shocking tyre I've encountered.........and I've ran a car with Nankangs.

We've ran mixed tyres front and rear on the 350 since we've had it........its never so much as stepped out once (Falkens front - ditchies on the rear).

Bollocks, they're great in the dry (lots of feedback and good progression) and okayish in the wet. They get much better with some heat in them too.

Nankangs are at least named budget tyres, yet, I managed to not have any accidents on no named budget tyres with 3mm at the rear and falken ze912's at the front with 2mm.

have to agree, i've had RE040's on several cars and although their wet traction isn;t as good as others they have always been progressive, they only spit people out if they are hamfisted with them. they are also a great track tyre, and in the dry they are very good.

Bollocks, they're great in the dry (lots of feedback and good progression) and okayish in the wet. They get much better with some heat in them too.

Nankangs are at least named budget tyres, yet, I managed to not have any accidents on no named budget tyres with 3mm at the rear and falken ze912's at the front with 2mm.

Okayish in the wet??? I mean lets not derail this thread into yet another tyre thread but jeaheeesus christ you must be joking?

You might as well strap 2 greased otters to your wheels (and these are not the sticky determined otters of old......these are really apathetic lubed up otters) as run RE040's in the wet. They are DEADLY.

Fair do's in the dry they're alright but to be fair I reckon you struggle to find many tyres are what you'd call 'bad' in the dry.

I mean lets not derail this thread into yet another tyre thread but jeaheeesus christ you must be joking?

You might as well strap 2 greased otters to your wheels (and these are not the sticky determined otters of old......these are really apathetic lubed up otters) as run RE040's in the wet. They are DEADLY.

Fair do's in the dry they're alright but to be fair I reckon you struggle to find many tyres are what you'd call 'bad' in the dry.

Following on from that, those of us that have pushed the limits of the 350/370 handling/grip levels over the years know it is absolutely essential to use 4 matching tyres and without extremes of wear or tyre pressures front to rear and to make sure you have regular 4-wheel alignments. Cannot stress how important that is, not only to get the best from the ZEDs but also to ensure you remain safe in less than 100% ideal road conditions.

And yes, always opt for the best tyres your budget allows. And that dosen't mean 2 Michelin Pilot Sports at one end of the car and 2 Bridgestone 50A's at the other end - their construction and compounds are all different and that can affect things significantly. Yes, some have found tyre mixing can work for them and indeed the RE40's are great for track work........ IN THE DRY, and no doubt helped to get the 350's a great reputation in the early days as they made even average drivers look pretty good at power sliding.

But seriously, the one area you do not skimp on to fully enjoy the ZEDS capabilities is the tyre department, trust me..... after more than 6 years of ZED ownership and someone who has enjoyed the odd spirited drive up and down the country ;)

Also I'd like to say good man for having a pair and blaming yourself and not a rogue squirrel or patch of oil. :thumbs:

Hopefully it will get sorted.

If I ever crash, dibs the rogue squirrel excuse! :lol:

Okayish in the wet??? I mean lets not derail this thread into yet another tyre thread but jeaheeesus christ you must be joking?

I didn't find them particularly bad? Budget no named are seriously much worse. Re40's would grip pulling away whilst you were sensible, budgets simply would not stop in wet conditions.

Budget no named tyres are bad in the dry.

If you drive like a mong everywhere, sure, they don't perform like falken fk452's or vreds in the wet, if you drive to their abilities, they're perfectly sensible tyres.

It wasnt me that crashed it. That rogue squirral you are talking about started pouring ACME grease onto the road as I merrily trundled around the corner........

I went back yest on the way to work and where the water has started (had started) to dry it showed that the edge of the road (1-1.5 ft in) has broken up and disappeared. It is no more than really fine silt and stones. All I can imagine is with all the rain the verge has drained onto the road and the tarmac has been royally chewed by farm traffic leaving that road recently :shrug:

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

Got to be fair I drove tht road back this morning in the wifes Grand Vitara and it was a little twitchy. I could feel the lack of grip just after the apex of the corner so there is something there. Also it does look like someone else may have done the same by the marks on the verge......... :rant:

F'inking lorries taking shortcuts destroying roads and farmers driving down the road rather than using their field........................ :offtopic::angry::rant::boxing:

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

But it was the RE's clearly to blame like everyone else says :p

Sounds like to me there wasn't much you could do and you just got very unlucky.

Its just been taken away :thumbdown:

I have to drive it onto the main road for the guy (circ 20/30 m) and it didnt crab and the TC/ESP lights werent on........Rear wheel only looks slightly squiffy now aswell. Is it mending itself???

Hoping its not that bad as every time I see it it looks less serious. Well I now have to wait for Gladwins to inspect and report back......roll on 2013........ha! Im just lucky the wife breaks up from school in 2 weeks and im on a leave ban until September so they will have a whole summer to fix it as I cant enjoy it :stir: