Well I broke it.......driving sensibly!

oj121

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr trackpig has history with the police me thinks! How many point have you just been awarded! Fess up!

+1 definitely got umberage with the fuzz.

This lad has been nothing but honest and humble.

Piglet is being a troll-let methinks :starwars:

I've used re040's on track and theyre fine in the dry, but in the wet they are the devils greatest invention!!

I have never driven with any other tyre that is so bad in the wet. Even in a straight line in 3rd gear I could lose traction very easily if care wasnt taken on the accelerator. Was the worst experience of my life and would rather drive on r888's in heavy rain than these. I also had re050a's and I never took to them. Pirelli pzero rosso's were also pretty bad in all conditions except dry.

The best all rounder tyre ive ever used was michelin ps2's.

There was a reason the re040's got discontinued...

May I add that I drove on track with mixed tyres in the wet.. Now I was always skeptical about how much it affects the car... You would be suprised.

I did a trackday with cragus in the car on mixed tyres and the car was terrible.

Anybody that says mixed tyres dont matter, try a reasonable pace drive on a track in the wet and it will all come to light :thumbs:

Both ends give way at different times, both ends react different when cornering, both ends react different when hitting standing water

Clarkson on the RX8 "best car i've driven this year"

cut back to studio

"actually no....got on the road in the rain and it became very twitchy. There is something about those tyres thats not right"

Or words to that effect.

The OP said the 040's were on the front. If they had slid, it would have resulted in understeer.

The OP sais it was the the rear (with 452's) that slid which gave him the oversteer and resulted in the accident.

I think we all agree, the accident wasnt down to the tyres but driver error but we have already covered that.

The OP said the 040's were on the front. If they had slid, it would have resulted in understeer.

The OP sais it was the the rear (with 452's) that slid which gave him the oversteer and resulted in the accident.

I think we all agree, the accident wasnt down to the tyres but driver error but we have already covered that.

But if he had 452's on the front, then the front may have reacted differently and caused understeer etc and the feedback to the driver may have been much easier to read and prevented this loss of the rear? :shrug:

He has never washed himself of any blame? You came on here rubbing it in his face. He's made a mistake and he has to pay the price. You are entitled to your opinion about the RE040s but the general consensus is that they suck ass.

Infact, here is a cross section of 36 reviews on the tyre. Our survey says sh1te!

I've used re040's on track and theyre fine in the dry, but in the wet they are the devils greatest invention!!

I have never driven with any other tyre that is so bad in the wet. Even in a straight line in 3rd gear I could lose traction very easily if care wasnt taken on the accelerator. Was the worst experience of my life and would rather drive on r888's in heavy rain than these. I also had re050a's and I never took to them. Pirelli pzero rosso's were also pretty bad in all conditions except dry.

Have you tried no name tyres in the wet? Screw accelerating, try taking any mild corners with a mild camber In the wet, like, 15mph was too fast, at 5mph it stopped understeering :lol:

I'm not saying for one second i'd run the re40s at a track day, but for the road they are hardly exactly instant crash and burn tyres, especially since the fk452s lost traction first.

Have you tried no name tyres in the wet? Screw accelerating, try taking any mild corners with a mild camber In the wet, like, 15mph was too fast, at 5mph it stopped understeering :lol:

I'm not saying for one second i'd run the re40s at a track day, but for the road they are hardly exactly instant crash and burn tyres, especially since the fk452s lost traction first.

I would never dream of running no named tyres on a car as I do value my life much more than a set of tyres.

The bit you're missing is the fact that both ends of the car reacted differently. If the fronts had falkens, maybe he would have under-steered as a warning that he was moving too fast and this in turn would have prevented him from accelerating and causing the rear end to step out :shrug:

It doesnt matter to me what tyres are where, its the fact the two end of the car react very differently in most circumstances, except on dry warm road.

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

That's because the 452s are only marginally better in the wet than the 040s, and they're both not really suitable for the Zed and this is what happens when you mix tyres.

Oh come one, this has been going for pages now and that's the first time I've mentioned anything! :lol:

Hope it gets sorted out soon fella, I think you took it quite well considering but please don't underestimate how important it is to have matching tyres all round. :)

No its not.

have to agree, tyres only need to match across the axle. yes its nice to have the same across the whole car, and its what i use. but different front and backs doesn;t suddenly make it like a greased otter.

as for the 452's not being adequate for the zed, they seem more than capable for the XKR.

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

That's because the 452s are only marginally better in the wet than the 040s, and they're both not really suitable for the Zed and this is what happens when you mix tyres.

Oh come one, this has been going for pages now and that's the first time I've mentioned anything! :lol:

Hope it gets sorted out soon fella, I think you took it quite well considering but please don't underestimate how important it is to have matching tyres all round. :)

No its not.

have to agree, tyres only need to match across the axle. yes its nice to have the same across the whole car, and its what i use. but different front and backs doesn;t suddenly make it like a greased otter.

as for the 452's not being adequate for the zed, they seem more than capable for the XKR.

:thumbs: Finally someone with sense.

Im not denying that the car will be slightly different but it will not kill you.

the reason the reo40's are so common across jap cars is bridgestone made and secured a very good tyre supply deal to pretty much every jap manufacturer. its not because nissan chose the best tyre, its because bridgestone supply them to every jap manufacturer.

The dont make ps2's anymore :p:lol:

Yep I know, now ps supersports and bumped the price through the roof. They just came up with something much better and decided to make ps3's terrible so people who loved the ps2's now need to go out and spank money on the much more expensive supersports.

You can still get ps2's though that are in garage stock ;) Michelin IMO have the best tyres on the market for superior handling and grip.

I would never dream of running no named tyres on a car as I do value my life much more than a set of tyres.

The bit you're missing is the fact that both ends of the car reacted differently. If the fronts had falkens, maybe he would have under-steered as a warning that he was moving too fast and this in turn would have prevented him from accelerating and causing the rear end to step out :shrug:

It doesnt matter to me what tyres are where, its the fact the two end of the car react very differently in most circumstances, except on dry warm road.

There are a lot of tyres out there which are worse than the re40s, yet people don't crash and burn on those.

I was running falken ze912s at the rear, no names at the front, the only issue I ever had was that corner and a roundabout, but I knew how shite they were so I drove accordingly.

That must have been for like a year, but I never had any accidents :shrug:

Simple, he oversteered a bit, chances are it had nothing to do with the tyres from the sounds of it, more the conditions. Tyres are not an absolute, they won't find grip where there is none to be had.

There's always somewhere to apportion blame when something goes wrong, but in this case he's held his hands up and admitted it may have been himself to blame, yet some people have to jump on the tyres bandwagon or rub some bullshit in about how he's a @*!# driver?

I hope none of you ever post up a thread like this.

@*!# happens, get over it.

Yep I know, now ps supersports and bumped the price through the roof. They just came up with something much better and decided to make ps3's terrible so people who loved the ps2's now need to go out and spank money on the much more expensive supersports.

You can still get ps2's though that are in garage stock ;) Michelin IMO have the best tyres on the market for superior handling and grip.

They're about the same price as the ps2s were?

The ps2s had lovely feel and predictability though, would have supersports if they're as good.

I know yours is a track car but in day to day driving or your work car/van have they never run mixed tyres front and back?

Im not arguing its not the best setup but its hardly a death trap. 452's are good. not the best like ps2's or MPSS but they are more than adequate. They wont kill you. They are very grippy for the money and progressive.

Exactly the point I was making. Tyre debate is for another thread. If he had come on here and blamed the rogue squirrel for his accident fair play for abuse but he held his hands up and still his face is rubbed in it.

Anyway rant over. If I ever crash (touch wood that I don't) I hope people are more sympathetic.

Good luck with the repairs mate- keep us posted.