Well I broke it.......driving sensibly!

oj121

Yeah cheers. I always forget how that sounds., particularly as I used to work in a prison aswell so generally use terms like the above and 'when I was in prison'. Not bad for a copper!!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel for you mate. However i think this is a perfect example of something i have been mentioning on various forums for a while now.

I think the TCs on the zed (and many other cars) makes it more dangerous. If you enter a corner quickly in the wet, the ESP or something grabs at wheels with the brakes, massively unsettling the pitch and roll of the car and, on many systems, the TCs comes down like an anvil at a slight hint of rear movement and can cause you to almost stall if you ever need to pull out of somewhere quickly.

I really disagree with the attitude of relying on safety systems such as TC, esp and all the rest. As the OP has proved, it doesn't allways keep you out of trouble and can often cause nasty unpredictable behaviour in the car. I would never buy a car where i couldn't fully disable it, unless it was a trick system like in the 12c or 458.

I would strongly reccomend anyone who drives enthusiasticly to develop their ability to control the car instinctively and drive with the systems off. But most of all, allways be ready to react.

Damage form:

Parts / Panels Requiring Renewal

LR STONE FOIL

L.R AXLE STEERING

L.R UPP CONTROL ARM

L.R CONTROL ARM

L.R LWR CONTROL ARM

L.R TYRE

L.WING BADGE

L.R WHEEL

Parts / Panels Requiring Repair

REPAIR L/R SIDE PANEL

Associated Work Required

REMOVE&REFIT AERIAL

Remove + Refit RELEASE F/BUMPER

Corrosion Prote TO 1ST PANEL

Parts / Panels Requiring Painting

L/F WING REPAIR PAINTING <50%

LEFT DOOR REPAIR PAINTING <50%

L/DOOR OUTER HANDLE REPAIR PAINT PLASTIC

L/SILL PANELLING REPAIR PAINT PLASTIC

REAR BUMPER REPAIR PAINT PLASTIC

L/R SIDE PANEL REPAIR PAINTING <50%

Additional Items

LR TYRE

DOOR FOILS X 1

They have missed a refurb on nearside rear and offside front that I need to sort out as insurance failed to mention those bits.

Big ouchy really. Thank god for insurance.

Gladwins in Kings Lynn have the car at the moment. They are well thought of so I trust them to do a decent job. They have kept me updated and been very good so far.

Glad to hear it! Hopefully not too long before you get it back buddy!

Well....numerous orders on back order so some parts not going to arrive until 31st July. They can get it done for me by the 16th if they have the parts. Gutted.

Plus insurance are quite poor tbh. Twice ive told them about damage to wheels and each time they have faxed through about wheel arch damage. I mean really?

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

That's because the 452s are only marginally better in the wet than the 040s, and they're both not really suitable for the Zed and this is what happens when you mix tyres.

Oh come one, this has been going for pages now and that's the first time I've mentioned anything! :lol:

Hope it gets sorted out soon fella, I think you took it quite well considering but please don't underestimate how important it is to have matching tyres all round. :)

That's because the 452s are only marginally better in the wet than the 040s, and they're both not really suitable for the Zed and this is what happens when you mix tyres.

Oh come one, this has been going for pages now and that's the first time I've mentioned anything! :lol:

Hope it gets sorted out soon fella, I think you took it quite well considering but please don't underestimate how important it is to have matching tyres all round. :)

You, on a tyre thread? :p:lol:

If the 4x4 struggled i'm not sure how much luck you'd have on any tyres in the zed.

I'm still running fk452s :p:lol: Would probably choose ps2s, vreds or re050s next time though, just cause it's slightly more difficult getting traction in snow/ice, they're perfectly reasonable normally :p

Everyone is talking about the RE's but it was the 452's that kicked out as they are on the rear.

No its not.

No its not.

cats-fight-fighting-funny-kittens-Favim.com-264074.jpg

So here we have some bloke off the internet saying that re040's are not suitable for the 350z.

I think I will go with the opinion of the Nissan technical team who spec'ed the 040s as the oem tyre rather than a forum "expert"

Thanks all the same :thumbs:

Yes its my first owned powerful rear driver. Im trained to a decent standard but my work only uses front wheel drive. I understand what your getting at but I hardly put any power into it. Ive put a lot more through the rears in worse conditions than that so although its 'driver error' it wasnt through idiocy.

2nd gear+ 30mph+ wet road+ tight corner+ rear wheel drive+ newb driver = potential problems.

Maybe get some more training at work. I really feel sorry for you damaging the car but the fact you say you are trained to a decent standard means you really should know better.

Ive sat in the back of a cop car and had the lecture so maybe cops should heed their own advice.

So here we have some bloke off the internet saying that re040's are not suitable for the 350z.

I think I will go with the opinion of the Nissan technical team who spec'ed the 040s as the oem tyre rather than a forum "expert"

Everything the the Nissan technical team have given the car as stock must be the best on the market then, eh? I haven idea why people on here have upgraded any parts on their car or furthermore why the majority of people stray away from the RE040s.

Yes its my first owned powerful rear driver. Im trained to a decent standard but my work only uses front wheel drive. I understand what your getting at but I hardly put any power into it. Ive put a lot more through the rears in worse conditions than that so although its 'driver error' it wasnt through idiocy.

2nd gear+ 30mph+ wet road+ tight corner+ rear wheel drive+ newb driver = potential problems.

Maybe get some more training at work. I really feel sorry for you damaging the car but the fact you say you are trained to a decent standard means you really should know better.

Ive sat in the back of a cop car and had the lecture so maybe cops should heed their own advice.

Thats a bit rich considering that you dont know the level of available grip for the corner, the load the car was under, the balance that was in place at the time or the level or brake or throttle in use. Thanks for your criticism without full knowledge or understanding. Just completely skip the part where I mention that the 4x4 had traction issues on the same corner the following day if it helps your arguement go better.

Everything the the Nissan technical team have given the car as stock must be the best on the market then, eh? I haven idea why people on here have upgraded any parts on their car or furthermore why the majority of people stray away from the RE040s.

Nice try.

I never said the 040's were the best on the market. I just dont see how someone can say they are not suited to the 350z. The designers of the car would seem to beg to differ.

Nice try.

I never said the 040's were the best on the market. I just dont see how someone can say they are not suited to the 350z. The designers of the car would seem to beg to differ.

RE040s are sh1t in the wet - fact! Maybe it was a nice dry day when the technical team got together. :lol:

Thats a bit rich considering that you dont know the level of available grip for the corner, the load the car was under, the balance that was in place at the time or the level or brake or throttle in use. Thanks for your criticism without full knowledge or understanding. Just completely skip the part where I mention that the 4x4 had traction issues on the same corner the following day if it helps your arguement go better.

You gave it some throttle in second gear on a wet, tight corner and lost it. You should have anticipated the outcome of a lack of traction in the wet and the relativly large amount of torque available at 30mph in 2nd gear. learn from it.

I find it strange that you then went back to the same corner the next day and drove in a manner which resulted in a loss of traction again. What are they teaching you at work?

p.s I am all for having fun in a car but if you do want to do tight wet corners in 2nd gear, do it where there is some run off.

20mph in a 4x4 is hardly flying is it!!!! Seriously what planet are you on?

And as for some throttle, I am able to depress is enough to keep the engine ticking over without putting it through the floor. I should have taken it in 6th at 5 mph right?

Crag I think he has just cherry picked bits of the threat to poke at rather than reading it all. He seems to gloss over entire sections and decides that without being there I was 'hooning' it and driving like a nutter.

If it helps you. I had driven that corner the previous 3 days in the same conditions. I have driven that corner far harder and in far worse conditions. I have driven that road for over 5 years and driven it daily for 6 months.

Ive read the whole thread and its not me that needs the help.

As ive said, I am sorry to hear you have damaged your car and I really want you to get it sorted in the best way possible.

I just find it hard to read someone saying they are trained to a decent standard but then get a corner so wrong for so many reasons.

Stay calm and stay safe.