Well I broke it.......driving sensibly!

oj121

Well...........one month and I ditched it! F*ing great. :byebye::angry::rant:

Trundling home from work, was a bit slippy and had been stuck behind a few lorries so thouh F it I cant be bother, turned up the stereo and bumbled my way back. Same way I have driven for god knows how long. Know the road and driving nice and sedately. Came to a 80% 30mph right hander, dropped into 2nd at about 30 (maybe a tad less)turned in and as I got to the apex of the corner I touched the throttle to drive out of the corner and the back end just gave out. No warning, nothing. Road is fairly narrow and is about a foot wider than the Zed for each way. Road is verged immediately by inconsistant low soft verges and overhanding trees. Back end slipped, TC didnt kick in and I caughtthe gap between the verges which has forced my pass rear wheel slightly underneath the car. Its now sitting a further 10-15% inverted. This bounced me back and I clipped the curb the other side before over correcting ever so slightly and catching the branches hanging into the carriageway. TC didnt but I suppose it was out of order after the bump on the verge?

3 alloys scuffed, lots of scratches to the pass side, rear wheel well and truely messed up. Pride absolutely in bits. It drove home (about 8 miles) but is crabbing awfully. No noises or anything like that. TC and EBS lights are now permenantly illuminated and cant turn them off (suppose that is just because of the issues with the rear?) There does not seem to be any bodywork issues as far as I can see other than needing a pass side respray.

Looking underneath is appears that the wishbone is broken but I am not mechanicaly sound enough to know anymore other than theres a lot of mud and grass under there considering my rear was maybe a foot off the carriageway for 2 seconds maximum.

It was also reassuring to see that the car following me slowed down to watch me finish fishtailing and recover before speeding off at pace without so much as an 'are you ok'.

Not sure if I hit derv (couldnt see any on inspection) standing water (only a few shallow puddles) a greasy white line or just unlucky. As it happened I was litterally saying to myself out loud how much I love my car!!!! Then........ :scare:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Upwell,+Cambridgeshire&hl=en&ll=52.580563,0.216309&spn=0.001305,0.004128&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=10.405166,33.815918&oq=upwell,+ca&hnear=Upwell,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.580586,0.216525&panoid=5phpV7oKYcXVQVOL2sKbYg&cbp=12,268.74,,0,4.5

Thats the corner in question. It double apexes ever so slightly. I can only assume that the road issue is a combination of me being unlucky and something 'farmer joe' has left down while leaving his little dirt track. Please have some sympathy for me and any help with regards to what I need to ask Gladwins to look at will be appreciated.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It drove fine, it was just very slippy and crabby. No odd or mechanincal noises so hope its not too poorly. Im so so upset!! I have taken that corner at double the speeds in far worse cars (legally I might add for work) and never had an issue.

Ouch - less that a month ownership. That has to hurt! The non ray wheels can be picked up pretty cheap but if you need a passenger side respray and axle work the bill will quickly start to mount. Perhaps claiming on your insurance will be more viable. Maybe take some pictures underneath and people on here can point out whats broke and costings to fix. :thumbs:

On a side note I am sympathetic to your situation and can only imagine how gutted you will be feeling but is this your first powerful rear wheel drive? What have you come from?

Are the tyres in decent condition? I had a similar one a while back, turned out one of my tyres was in less than perfect condition ;)

If its any comfort my bezzy mate is the top sprayer at Gladwins, Im sure I can make sure he gets your car and does it real nice like :thumbs:

Falkens on the rear, 1000 miles of driving on them so should be pretty sweet.

Yes its my first owned powerful rear driver. Im trained to a decent standard but my work only uses front wheel drive. I understand what your getting at but I hardly put any power into it. Ive put a lot more through the rears in worse conditions than that so although its 'driver error' it wasnt through idiocy.

Falkens on the rear, 1000 miles of driving on them so should be pretty sweet.

Yes its my first owned powerful rear driver. Im trained to a decent standard but my work only uses front wheel drive. I understand what your getting at but I hardly put any power into it. Ive put a lot more through the rears in worse conditions than that so although its 'driver error' it wasnt through idiocy.

It may or may not be driver error - they may genuinely have been something on the road. Did you go and look?

I only ask because I have known several people jump into cars like the zed or elises from FWD less powerful hatchbacks that have this happen to them within the fist month or so of driving.

I hope it is a relatively easy fix for you mate :thumbs:

Im big enough to say it was partly driver error as i was controlling the car. If it happened another 100 times though I still would have ended up the same so genuinely dont think its my ham fisted driving.

Anyone want to swap cars for a bit???

Mate that totally sucks, makes me worried about driving mine. Wonder why the TC didnt help you save it. Only thing I can think of was some fuel or oil on the road. Your tyres have good tread???

Hope you get it all sorted, get some prices/estimates then decide about the insurance road. :surrender:

Im big enough to say it was partly driver error as i was controlling the car. If it happened another 100 times though I still would have ended up the same so genuinely dont think its my ham fisted driving.

Anyone want to swap cars for a bit???

Take some pictures and I am sure some experienced members will try and access the damage and try to cost parts for you :thumbs:

Get the insurance to pay out for yours and I will let you buy mine :thumbs::lol:

Is the zed your daily driver?

My excess in £500 with protected NCB. Im using them as for £500 id rather the job done properly and in depth. he paint costs alone will be closer to £500 before I look at the mechanical damage so it makes sense. Only doo doo is I took off court. car last year......................

Problem I have is I got hit by a lorry 5 years ago too. So thats 2 accidents in 10 years. The wife has never had any. Shes been great so far but im waiting for it......................

Yes my Zed is my daily too......

My excess in £500 with protected NCB. Im using them as for £500 id rather the job done properly and in depth. he paint costs alone will be closer to £500 before I look at the mechanical damage so it makes sense. Only doo doo is I took off court. car last year......................

Problem I have is I got hit by a lorry 5 years ago too. So thats 2 accidents in 10 years. The wife has never had any. Shes been great so far but im waiting for it......................

Yes my Zed is my daily too......

£500 is not too bad and hey, that's why insurance is there. The missus will be giving you a hard time about your gash driving though ;):lol:

Sorry to hear of your accident mate.

I am just about to start dismantling a complete 350Z so if you require any preowned parts then I am sure to have them in stock.

Also got plenty wheels and suspension stuff in the store:

Let me know if I can help further once you know the extent of the damage, hopefully it will not be to bad. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Just outta curiosity.....what size wheels and tyres you got fitted?

If they ain't the right ones, they can play havoc with the TCS and cause it not to kick in.

Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

Standard pre facelift wheels. 18 inches on the back. Can only think TC didnt kick in as it wasnt through a power issues as almost nothing was going through the wheels. It was literally enough to push it round the corner as I was trundling like an old biddy really.

Can I just say thanks to all that have tried to help guys.

That sounds pretty unlucky to me, nearly new falkens shouldnt do that! as others have said, check tyre sizes, pressures and alignment, but to me it just sounds like you hit a slick of some kind. hope its sorted out ok!

Might be an idea to get some driver training if you havent been in rwd cars very long... firstly, because its an absolute hoot, and secondly cos it might just come in handy in these kind of situations... if you arent used to the back stepping out its easy to not correct enough, or to catch the slide, but then not know when to uncorrect, and go off in the other direction.

I know from when i first moved to rwd the feeling when the back steps out was entirely alien to me, but after a few training sessions it feels a lot less strange :thumbs:

There was just simply no room to catch the slide. The road narrows as the corner straightens and there is a bank inches to your left. The back kicking out meant it literally hit the bank before I had time to put my foot in and turn the wheel. Had maybe half a second between it kicking and then hitting the bank. Im taking solice from the fact im confident that I could not have corrected that if I was given the opportunity a hundred times over. :dry:

It was a case of it was going to happen regardless of what I did. The law of sod follows me round like a bad smell. Just gutted now. Ill try and get a few pics tomorrow if I get a chance before it goes away to Zed Hospital. :oops:

Wife is being awful nice and is offering to donate some of her savings towards my new brakes once my baby is back on the road. :cloud9::clap:

That sounds pretty unlucky to me, nearly new falkens shouldnt do that! as others have said, check tyre sizes, pressures and alignment, but to me it just sounds like you hit a slick of some kind. hope its sorted out ok!

Might be an idea to get some driver training if you havent been in rwd cars very long... firstly, because its an absolute hoot, and secondly cos it might just come in handy in these kind of situations... if you arent used to the back stepping out its easy to not correct enough, or to catch the slide, but then not know when to uncorrect, and go off in the other direction.

I know from when i first moved to rwd the feeling when the back steps out was entirely alien to me, but after a few training sessions it feels a lot less strange :thumbs:

I found the ze912 falkens were atrocious, fk452s are fine though unless you're really pushing them a bit.

I have 452's and being just worn in at under 30mph with minimal throttle id expect ditchfinders to cope to be fair.

Nah, zed is fairly sensitive, ze912s couldn't cope with slight cornering in wet conditions at 20mph, like, as gentle as corners get. 452s are ok, can't say i've got them unsettled except under heavy braking, stupidly not in a straight line.

Sorry to hear about that and hope you get your new pride and joy fixed soon - the car too.

But.......are you not running RE040 on the front and 452's on the rear?

You're maybe lucky and not going to get a lecture from the "Tyre Man".......