Maria de Villota

Its a weird one to be sure, they only do straight line testing there so how she managed it and why there was a lorry in the way I dont know. Someone I know also pointed out that her background doesnt suggest an F1 drive, [mod edit: Tastless. The woman has suffered life threatening injuries. This is not the time to start on opinions on gender and hair colour in relation to this]

Have to say, it's quite shocking the way posts on some other sites are basically going down the route of "women drivers" :scare: Lets face it, she tests F1 cars for a living, if she was a stereotype they wouldn't let her sit in it let alone drive it :shrug:

+1, she would hardly have put it in first and deliberately driven into the back of a truck :shrug: Hope she recovers fully :thumbs:

Have to say, it's quite shocking the way posts on some other sites are basically going down the route of "women drivers" :scare: Lets face it, she tests F1 cars for a living, if she was a stereotype they wouldn't let her sit in it let alone drive it :shrug:

Its a weird one to be sure, they only do straight line testing there so how she managed it and why there was a lorry in the way I dont know. Someone I know also pointed out that her background doesnt suggest an F1 drive, [mod edit: Tastless. The woman has suffered life threatening injuries. This is not the time to start on opinions on gender and hair colour in relation to this]

If you actully read the article it sems pretty clear that it was a car malfunction rather than driver error; it had almost come to a stop next to the engineers and then inexplicably accelerated into the truck.

DB

If you actully read the article it sems pretty clear that it was a car malfunction rather than driver error; it had almost come to a stop next to the engineers and then inexplicably accelerated into the truck.

DB

Exactly! I saw this online today on the MSN site and the comments made my F*cking blood BOIL!! She is an F1 test driver she has not got there by any other means than bl**dy hard work as any other female in motorsport could attest to - as with any other male orientated industry she will have had to work twice as hard and bite her tongue every day to get where she is.

I sincerely hope she recovers fully :thumbs:

Exactly! I saw this online today on the MSN site and the comments made my F*cking blood BOIL!! She is an F1 test driver she has not got there by any other means than bl**dy hard work

So you are saying that theres no-one better suited to that job than a girl who hasnt ever won a race in any series she competed in apart from the Hyundai 1000km? Really? :shrug:

Compare that with Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey ........... dont get me wrong, I really hope she pulls through and goes onto do well in F1, but Im afraid I cant accept that she was in that seat purely for driving and experience reasons. I also hesitate to believe that it was a throttle/car issue when we havent seen anything like that happen in the last 15 odd years, Im prepared to be proven wrong but it sounds weird to me.

EDIT: What the hell, Ive just noticed my comment got edited? Am I not allowed to hold an opinion, theres nothing wrong with pointing out that she will draw a lot more attention than other drivers, I didnt say anythign about females not being able to drive? I work with F1 and motorsport teams daily, you cant edit my comments because you are a mad feminist!! :angry:

Exactly! I saw this online today on the MSN site and the comments made my F*cking blood BOIL!! She is an F1 test driver she has not got there by any other means than bl**dy hard work

So you are saying that theres no-one better suited to that job than a girl who hasnt ever won a race in any series she competed in apart from the Hyundai 1000km? Really? :shrug:

Compare that with Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey ...........

I have no idea why are you making a bold distinction that she is a girl or secondly that she isn't qualified enough? She didn't crash on track because of her lack of ability - it was after she had come off track. Early theories behind the accident have suggested the anti-stall mechanism on the car kicked in as she approached a makeshift pit area, suddenly propelling her into the truck.

Compare that with Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey ...........

I have no idea why are you making a bold distinction that she is a girl or secondly that she isn't qualified enough? She didn't crash on track because of her lack of ability - it was after she had come off track. Early theories behind the accident have suggested the anti-stall mechanism on the car kicked in as she approached a makeshift pit area, suddenly propelling her into the truck.

For christs sake, where did I say she crashed because she is a girl? I said she possibly got the seat because she is a girl ............ what is this, feminist week? :surrender:

All Im saying is that IMO there are dozens, probably hundreds of drivers that have more experience and would be a better choice as a test driver. If you dont agree, more power to you but dont start putting words in my mouth. :rant:

So you are saying that theres no-one better suited to that job than a girl who hasnt ever

I never stated that you said she crashed because she was a girl. But the way you have written the comment above implies that you think her being a girl is an important element. If it hadn't, you may have written something along the lines of 'So you are saying that theres no-one better suited to that job than someone who hasn't ever....' than I'd be more inclined to listen to your opinion.

I am not a crazed feminist but after seeing your initial post to somebodies life threatening condition and subsequent posts I just think you are a bit of a nob.

WTF? I think she has got the drive because of the publicity she will generate, that is because she is an attractive girl. If she was a guy with that driving history I dont think any F1 team would even consider her for it.

The fact she crashed has nothing to do with gender, attractiveness or that her Dad was a racing driver, I havent suggested anywhere that it was, once again you are putting words in my mouth. :dry:

I agree that positive discrimination does exist - just look at certain past police recruitment drives. Ultimately though her gender doesn't explain what has gone wrong in this instance and put her in hospital.

No doubt, we will be told through the media soon - until then it is a guessing game.

Docwra:

It was me who edited your original post.

The woman was lying in a hospital bed and no-one new her condition at the time other than life threatening.

To start trying to suggest she had her seat because she is a woman, and then to further comment on her being blonde......more to the point it coukd easily have been taken out of context and suggest that you were insinuating she crashed because she was a blonde female, was just plain insensitive and inappropriate.

My edit stands.

Unfortunately it's just been reported that she has lost her sight in one eye :thumbdown:

+1 :thumbdown:

Still can't get over how many negative comments on the web there are, due to her sex, over this incident. I wonder if there would be the same negativity if one of her male colleagues had been in the seat? :shrug:

Docwra:

It was me who edited your original post.

The woman was lying in a hospital bed and no-one new her condition at the time other than life threatening.

To start trying to suggest she had her seat because she is a woman, and then to further comment on her being blonde......more to the point it coukd easily have been taken out of context and suggest that you were insinuating she crashed because she was a blonde female, was just plain insensitive and inappropriate.

My edit stands.

I think you overreacted then, moreover to a misunderstanding on your part. Her sex or hair colour had nothing to do with the accident, and Ive not suggested they did, but I maintain they were factors leading to her having the drive in the first place. Thats my opinion and Im entitled to it, whether it get bra burners riled up or not.

If she has lost an eye then thats terrible, her career is over :(

Compare that with Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey ........... dont get me wrong, I really hope she pulls through and goes onto do well in F1, but Im afraid I cant accept that she was in that seat purely for driving and experience reasons. I also hesitate to believe that it was a throttle/car issue when we havent seen anything like that happen in the last 15 odd years, Im prepared to be proven wrong but it sounds weird to me.

EDIT: What the hell, Ive just noticed my comment got edited? Am I not allowed to hold an opinion, theres nothing wrong with pointing out that she will draw a lot more attention than other drivers, I didnt say anythign about females not being able to drive? I work with F1 and motorsport teams daily, you cant edit my comments because you are a mad feminist!! :angry:

Nowt wrong with holding an opinion - however when it is so inherently sexist you really should, in this day and age be prepared for it to be challenged - doesn't mean anyone is a 'mad feminist' or a 'bra burner' just simply that your 'opinion' being aired at this point in time - before facts are known- was unwarranted and in bad taste. The fact that you feel the need to use such terms in a negative context just highlights what a scared wee man you must be - god forbid any woman would ever be allowed to compete in a motor industry workplace on an equal footing :scare::lol:

I would freely add I have zero knowledge of F1 cars - the scene bores me - but absolutely no-one (other than the engineers and perhaps Ms de Villota herself if she's still capable of that level of cognition) knows what happened yet :shrug:

The fact remains if this had been an accident involving a male test driver we wouldn't even be having this discussion - the thread would simply be full of 'best wishes' and 'goodness knows what could've happened' I doubt there would even be a question of driver 'error'.

Its not sexist though, pretty girls sell stuff, thats a fact of life. This why you dont get male promo models, page 3 boys or PR fellers, or had you not noticed? :shrug:

Once again, for the 4th time in 2 pages, I havent and didnt suggest that her sex was anything to do with the incident, and once again youve totally ignored that. If it was a 30 year old guy with that racing background its quite possible questions would be asked as well, like I said, look at what some of the other F1 test drivers have achieved, they generally have at least a couple of championships under their belt. :)

Do you know who Danica Patrick is? Do you know she gets at least twice as much coverage as any other race driver in the USA, despite generally being midfield and not doing anything special? Why do you think that is? ;)