Non-Standard Discs & Pads Effect Insurance or Not

Trojan D079

Hi all I am looking at getting new non-standard front discs and pads. Just wondering if anyone knows

if the will effect my insurance or not iam currently with Admiral but not sure about ringing them to ask

incase they put some sort of mark on my file if you get what I mean ;)

man i hate insurance BS. i bet thousands of people have bought secondhand cars and are blissfully unaware that the previous owner has modified them in some way and thus are techically committing insurance fraud. To be honest I dont know whether my brake pads are OEM or not, but they work just fine.

However two things i know that arent OEM are my tyres and engine oil, both of which have a huge effect on the handling and the likelihood the engine will fail - would one have to inform the insurance about them as well? Cos if so my previous thousands is now millions!

How non standard are the discs and pads? if you're swapping to a big brake kit then yes, i'd tell the insurance. But if its exactly the same size discs, and some sort of road pads, then I wouldnt bother IMO.

What really annoys me is that you have to tell the insurance company if your car has non-standard options, I.e. Rays on pre MY06 cars.

How are you supposed to know if you but a uses car and know unless you are in the know or part of a community like this one.

How non standard are the discs and pads? if you're swapping to a big brake kit then yes, i'd tell the insurance. But if its exactly the same size discs, and some sort of road pads, then I wouldnt bother IMO.

Just being offered ADL Blueprint discs at the mo from Nissan and wondered if it would effect it

I take a slightly different view.A basic feature of insurance law is that you the insured are under obligation to inform your insurer,without them necessarily having to ask, of any circumstance that could effect their judgement in setting the premium.

So anything that makes the car go faster or makes it look different (and so have more theft appeal),OK,tell them.

BUT, it depends on what modification you do...if you can properly state that the brake mods can only improve the vehicles braking in standard road conditions then I would see no need to inform them,because that could not give them grounds for a premium increase...although you might want to inform them to ask for a reduced premium :)

I apply the above rules,I think people can get paranoid over these issues...how far do you take it,what if,for instance,you just fit braided brakelines?

You tell them.

I can see your reasoning, and in truth it's how it should work, however when you sign up to insurance you agree to tell them of any material change that would effect how they class you as a risk. Improving the brakes means you can go faster, which increases your chance of a bigger crash. It also makes your vehicle worth more, which increases the chance of it being stolen. You signed a legally binding document, and deciding afterwards which bits you do or don't feel like complying with doesn't really work.

People are paranoid for good reason, as no-one wants to be left with a bill in the hundreds of thousands of pounds in the worst case scenario. If you're so sure that your insurer won't care, and are happy to argue that point with them, then why not tell them?

You tell them.

I can see your reasoning, and in truth it's how it should work, however when you sign up to insurance you agree to tell them of any material change that would effect how they class you as a risk. Improving the brakes means you can go faster, which increases your chance of a bigger crash. It also makes your vehicle worth more, which increases the chance of it being stolen. You signed a legally binding document, and deciding afterwards which bits you do or don't feel like complying with doesn't really work.

People are paranoid for good reason, as no-one wants to be left with a bill in the hundreds of thousands of pounds in the worst case scenario. If you're so sure that your insurer won't care, and are happy to argue that point with them, then why not tell them?

+1

For the sake of the £25 my insurer wanted for uprated discs, pads and brake lines, it just doesn't make sense not to tell them when you think what you're risking by leaving yourself potentially uninsured.

DB

Someone on here notified their insurance company that they fitted locking wheel nuts. Obviously something which makes a part of the car more safe from thieves, premium went up, WTF? :shrug:

I have sold hundreds of sets of rotors and thousands of other parts to Z owners and I doubt if many have declared the "changes"

Okay, I fully understand and accept if you are fitting a supercharger or turbos that your premium will increase, however some of this other stuff is just an excuse to needlessly and unjustifiably increase your insurance premium.

Hands up those who have had a car insurance claim rejected because they have not declared a mod.

Alex. :)

I personally dont bother with pads, but would with discs. Reason? I wasnt told and couldnt tell you if the pads that were fitted when I bought it were standard or not, and if I cant tell I doubt an insurance claim would be withheld on that basis.

Rotors and pads are wear and tear items. Does your insurance state that you must fit OEM wear and tear items? No? I thought not.

Remember in the case of insurance company refusing a payout due to modification then burden of proof is on them to prove you have made a modification and that affects the vehicles performance. Otherwise every joe bloggs with a vauxhaull that accepts kwik Fit fitting generic pads and discs on their car are committing fraud.

Rotors and pads are wear and tear items. Does your insurance state that you must fit OEM wear and tear items? No? I thought not.

Remember in the case of insurance company refusing a payout due to modification then burden of proof is on them to prove you have made a modification and that affects the vehicles performance. Otherwise every joe bloggs with a vauxhaull that accepts kwik Fit fitting generic pads and discs on their car are committing fraud.

What about an exhaust that you got from Kwik Fit? Now, nothing like that would ever go near my Zed, but for a normal car, would you have to let the insurers know that you didn't have an OEM exhaust? :shrug:

Assuming that the average member pays £600 insurance and the cost of a change is £25, if 1 in 24 serious accidents would lead to the insurer not paying out because of your brakes being non-standard, you are better off paying. In any case, regardless of the odds, who wouldn't rather just pay £25 and not have the headache of taking risks potentially worth hundreds of thousands of pounds?

Remember in the case of insurance company refusing a payout due to modification then burden of proof is on them to prove you have made a modification and that affects the vehicles performance.

No, it's not. Read your insurance documents: It will state something along the lines of (nicked from the current Admiral policy):

Your policy is proof of the contract between you and the authorised insurers. It is based on the information given by or for you when you applied for this insurance. This information is shown on your Motor Proposal Confirmation. You promise, as far as you know, that the information you have given us is true.

You must tell us about any material changes in circumstances, as we may not be able to arrange cover in every case. If we are not told about material changes in circumstances this could affect the amount you are able to claim or may even mean you are unable to make a claim. If the circumstances differ significantly it could even result in your policy being declared void.

Please tell us before:

- if you are going to modify your car, even if the alteration is only cosmetic

- of any other factors which may influence the decision to insure you

Your duties

You will be provided with the cover set out in this policy if:

n you or anyone else claiming cover under the policy has kept to all the terms and conditions of the policy

n the information given at the start of your policy or renewal (confirmed to you in the Motor Proposal Confirmation or Motor Renewal Confirmation) or when registering a claim is true and complete

Material Changes in Circumstances

If there is a material change in circumstances then you must tell us. We will calculate any

difference in premium from the date circumstances changed even if this happened in a

previous period of insurance.

If we are not told about material changes in circumstances this could result in an

additional premium, affect the amount you are able to claim or may even mean you are

unable to make a claim. If the circumstances differ significantly it could even result in

your policy being declared void.

You (not just you Vik, everyone) agreed to this when you signed up, and failure to do so constitutes a breach of contract on your part. As such, this means that they do not have to cover you if you've broken the terms. This isn't rocket science, it's not a matter of opinion, it's not heresay: It's contract law, something that has been around since the dawn of time. It's black and white, plain and simple.

Now, the only possible thing you could argue about is whether uprated brake discs and pads count as a material change. If you don't think it does, then fine. Go to court and argue your case, with absolutely no proof other than your opinion, against a room full of incredible expensive solicitors who will make you look silly and quote a million examples of case law at you. Or you could just tell your insurance company, like you agreed to do in the first place and let them make the decision. If they will charge you a lot extra or won't cover you, then take your business elsewhere next year.

Just for absolute clarity, this wasn't meant as a rant against you Vik, so please don't take it personally. It just so happens that you wrote something very clear that I could quote easily. :)

Just remember what world we are living in.......if there is a way that a company can legally not pay out on something then they are going to take it.

Christ most of the time if there is a way a company can illegally achieve financial gain they take it!