protected NCB - worth it?

Squee

Hey all,

Is protected NCB worth paying the extra for or is it one of those insurers' tricks that means diddly squat if you have to make a claim and future renewals? My best quote has it for £35 a year extra and a slightly higher excess than without the protected.

Insurance renewal time of year is fun :thumbs:

S.

Thanks for the replies :)

I don't really know much about insurance related matters - until last year when I bought my Zed I'd always just been a named driver on someone else's car so haven't had many dealings with then and also didn't have any NCB. My current insurer took into account my past years as a named driver and seem to have me down as 5 years NCB.

Like I say I don't know much about insurance stuff so I didn't know if this protected thing is as useful as a choccy teapot if the sh!t hits the fan.

Sounds like for £35 it'll be worth it :thumbs:

Ta again,

S.

ah, but..........whilst it protects your NCB - it does what it says on the tin ------------------- come next renewal your premiums have gone through the roof, but does the NCB still knock 60% off the premium......who knows ???? :blush:

Are there usually conditions with it ie you loose the NCB if you're at fault?

Never had it, never will waste of money IMO, just like all the rest of the crap they try and palm on you, legal aid recovery blah blah blah.......

Yeah I'm normally cynical to all the extras too. The rotters that they are :lol:

S.

Are there usually conditions with it ie you loose the NCB if you're at fault?

No, the point of having it protected is that it won't be affected even if you cause an accident.

Your NCB will be unaffected but your premium would still go up because you would now have a claim on your record, meaning you are considered a higher risk.

I was surprised to find out that if I were to have an accident my 4 years NCB would just be halved rather than restarted at zero with my current insurers, admiral.

As I work at an insurance company I feel like I should finish with a disclaimer at the end of this post that all insurance companies work differently and to check with the company you are dealing with as to how it works with them.

Get on your insurers website and put a dummy quote in - then play about with by pretending you have had an addicent.

So do these scenarios

1. 5 years NCB and 1 accident - not at fault

2. 5 years NCB and 1 accident - at fault

3. 2 years NCB and 1 accident - not at fault (I think you only usually lose 3 years NCB if you have an accident but it does depend on the insurer)

4. 2 years NCB and 1 accident - at fault

Perhaps even repeat with 0 NCB in case you have an insurer that takes it all away in case of an accident.

See what the differences are..........bottom line if scenario 3 & 4 are £35 more expensive than 1 & 2 then its worth it :thumbs:

Yeah definitely worth it as in a few years time it might in the same category as PPI and we can all claim it back anyway :yahoo:

+1 :lol:

Seriously though, as Gudzy said your premium would still go up if you made a claim even if the third party was at fault. The insurers see you as a bigger risk of claiming again (statistically more like to be involved in another incident). So it's kinda catch22 :shrug:

Thanks all.

Guess for £35 it's gonna be worth it :thumbs:

Can't do the suggested trick to tinker on the insurer's website as my new insurer's are Livingtone Warman and they don't have the facilities on there to input scenarios (same goes for Sky who I'm with for another week) but from playing about on the comparisons it's worth the £35.

As said in a previous post I just wasn't sure if in the small print of the protected NCB there's stacks of exemptions which made it worthless.

Cheers again :)

S.

They gave it to me for free :teeth:

Oh you jammy git ;)

Hmmm, perhaps I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see if I can charm it out of them. It's actually thanks to you I got a quote from LW as I remembered that you spoke highly of them a while back and I figured that as we're similar post codes and age they might do me a decent quote too. And they have!

Mr Squee's going to be on my policy and had to make a claim late last year so perhaps it's due to having him on it they want another £35 for the protected NCB?

They've given me a pretty good quote for the ZX too - £370 :thumbs:

S.

Sweet! Got the protected NCB chucked in for free AND a further reduction on £20 so I'm now paying £594 for the year with £300 excess.

I'm pretty happy with that considering I've only 'officially' had my own policy, on any car, for a year and Mr Squee had a £6K claim against him last year. Wonder how much lower it would have been without that 'whoopsie!'.

I guess lower premiums are one of the upsides of being old ;)

S.

Just make sure you don't cancel mid policy......250 quid policy returned 100 quid after cancelling 4 months in!

Not complaining though as its what I signed up for at the end of the day and they are a broker so they provably get a retrospective claw back of proc fee.

Sweet! Got the protected NCB chucked in for free AND a further reduction on £20 so I'm now paying £594 for the year with £300 excess.

I'm pretty happy with that considering I've only 'officially' had my own policy, on any car, for a year and Mr Squee had a £6K claim against him last year. Wonder how much lower it would have been without that 'whoopsie!'.

I guess lower premiums are one of the upsides of being old ;)

S.

Result :thumbs: And even if you had to pay for it - just think of the premium you end up paying through no fault of yours due to others careless driving :shrug:

From our quick meet at Wales - "old" is what you were looking at, not what you see in the mirror, which looked very young to me :blush::lol:

From our quick meet at Wales - "old" is what you were looking at, not what you see in the mirror, which looked very young to me :blush::lol:

30 next year! :( but thanks for the compliment. I sometimes still get ID'd for buying booze which is fine by me!

I've got another NCB related conundrum...in the post on Saturday I received a totally unexpected 'certificate of NCB' from Admiral showing that I have full 10 years :shrug: kinda annoying as the day before I'd paid the £594 to L.W. assuming that I'd only got 5 years NCB! Hopefully I'll be able to amend my protected to get the 10 years as the policy is still new and they want proof of the 5 years anyway.

Just make sure you don't cancel mid policy......250 quid policy returned 100 quid after cancelling 4 months in!

Not complaining though as its what I signed up for at the end of the day and they are a broker so they provably get a retrospective claw back of proc fee.

ouch. That's a stinger! were you not able to transfer it to the new car?

S.

You should be able to amend it and get more discount. I sorted that out for my dad a few days ago when we noticed there was only 9 years NC but intact there was 11. Policy went down by about £110 and that was 4 months into the policy :yahoo: