Bent Chassis?

SteveJJH

Have a look at these and tell me if I've really made a mess here:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... ure824.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... ure823.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... ure821.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... ure828.jpg

I was under the impression these bits were easy to change, but I'm starting to wonder.

Chassis is twisted unfortunately. Not good news. Zmanalex has a g35 sitting at his pad with the exact same problem. It has now been stripped for parts :thumbdown:

Sorry to be the one to bring bad news

Not what you wanted to know mate but it looks repairable still. just need pulling out to leght and specs on a gig and the rest is cosmetic.

However be guided by the total cost involved vs the value of the car and proceed from there. Also stripping for parts might yeild roughly 4k which means you will just be 1-2k out out of pocket to get back in a zed B) or you can just sell it as is for ~3k i reckon.

-Brembos

-Seats(assuming the airbags did not deploy.

-engine

-Wheels

-GB

-LSD

-suspension

-Various glassware

-interior trim

-Lights

-Body parts

-exhaust and cats

-Sensors

etc etc

- etc

It's annoying cos it's a low mileage UK model with FSH and I'm only the second owner, but it seems like repairing it might be a bad idea.

Has anyone out there repaired a Z with this damage? I really need to make a decision pretty quick as the garage are continuing work on it today

Bloody hell, they like to expect the worst on here dont they? :lol: Where is the last picture, 828 of BTW?

Get it 4 wheel aligned, that will tell you if the chassis is bent or if its just the rail ends that are damaged. For the sake of £80 its worth doing :)

Bloody hell, they like to expect the worst on here dont they? :lol: Where is the last picture, 828 of BTW?

Get it 4 wheel aligned, that will tell you if the chassis is bent or if its just the rail ends that are damaged. For the sake of £80 its worth doing :)

The wheel allignment will be a mile out as the tyres are delaminated. It needs to go on a jig to check the chassis allignment.

At the end of the day the chassis is bent and weak at those points now, fixing that plus all the other damage is just simply not gonna be cost effective ufortunately and would be cheaper to buy a similar car and sell this one for parts

that might only need minor jig work. may not be as major as you think. it gets expensive if the chassis is twisted, but thats all at the front by the looks and should be a straight forward repair.

get the garage to estimate it for you. they are the ones in the know and will tell you the cost.

The garage reckon its fixable. It does look like the suspension turrets haven't moved. It seems a lot of people on here are now advising against fixing it, and I think that would be the easier option, but it would depend on how much I could get for it

I don't really want a project that spirals out of control with costs and then at the end of it all I'm left with a car that's hardly worth the repair bill

I was looking last night at some nice aftermarket lights, bumpers and bonnets, but it will mark the car out as an obvious frontender

After people seeing this I think you would struggle to sell on after you repair it to be honest.

only if it was a member buying off here. and if it was an issue you could always ask a mod to remove the 2 threads;

alot of people buy the car first then find the club. the amount of people who join the club first then buy the car are a minority.

as long as its repaired well, it should still be saleable.

you would be suprised at the amount of members cars that have probably had work done on them after an accident. but back when the cars were worth more insurace didn't write them off.

looking at those pictures i've seen cars repaired and put back on the road with far worse damage.

I've seen one sitting in Alex's yard in pieces with similar damage so it very hard to tell. The garage would need to provide the op with a total bill for repairs before its deemed fixable or for parts.

This damage will be very visable to anybody buying a car. They look under the bonnet and see the radiators been replaced etc and probably stress marks where it's bent. It's a hard call.

If it was mines I wouldn't be fixing.

If it was mines I wouldn't be fixing.

thats a fair call,

its difficult as its not an insurance job; if it was and it was within the costs i would have had it done, and if you'd lost confidence in the car then sell it on.

but as your having to stump up the cash yourself for all repairs it makes it a hard call.

if it were me, i'd probably repair for as little as i could then sell on after. i did with my old MR2 when i had a new engine put in, after that i didn't feel the same about the car; lost my trust in it. so i sold it on in the end.

you have a big advantage that the car isn't currently graded as a Cat D or Cat C. so nothing will come up on the HPI.