Bent Chassis?

SteveJJH

Bloody hell, they like to expect the worst on here dont they? :lol: Where is the last picture, 828 of BTW?

Get it 4 wheel aligned, that will tell you if the chassis is bent or if its just the rail ends that are damaged. For the sake of £80 its worth doing :)

The wheel allignment will be a mile out as the tyres are delaminated. It needs to go on a jig to check the chassis allignment.

Explain to me how tyres affect wheel alignment :shrug:

OP - when I crashed my Zed (and at least 4 cars before it) I got it wheel aligned to see if there was any, and if so how major, the damage was. Ignore me like everyone else does if you like but it is personal experience, which lead to my Zed staying on the road rather than being written off, a chassis jib will cost considerably more money.

The tyres are now delaminated causing different suspension height as the wheel/tyre diameters are now all different. The wheels will all be at different camber and toe as this alters when the suspension is at different compression heights.

There is no way 4 wheel allignment will show if the chassis is bent. All it will show is toe camber etc which can be adjusted to run true even when the chassis is out. Correct???

The allignment will be a mile out after bouncing off a pit lane wall not to mention any suspension components which are bent.

Fact is the only correct method of checking if the chassis is straight (which it's not as the arm is visibly bent) is to put it on a chassis jig.

If you think that car is salvageable and cost effective to repair why don't you buy it, fix it and sell it?

For the money the op will spend repairing it, give or take a little, he could buy an almost exact same car.

if the OP was doi ng the work himself it is a salvagable car, if your paying someone else to repair it then the fact that he's not repairing it will mean its not economical.

that will be bought by a bodyshop who'll do all the work and punt it for a profit.

IMHO the car is beyond economical repair whether the OP or a body shop is carrying out the repairs.

The chassis leg if repaired would be a botch, so it much be replaced for a safe, professional :#1: repair to be carried out.

Alex :)