Advice on keeping a rabbit

sipar69

Wasso's post about nature made me think that since a lot of you have kids and a lot of kids naturally want a pet at some stage, I could post some advice about keeping a rabbit.

My partner has kept rescue rabbits for many years. She even gets asked for advice by our local vet now and again. Having a rabbit as a pet can be very rewarding, but they are not a low maintenance pet by any stretch of the imagination.

You should do your own research of course, but these would be our top tips:

1. Try not to buy rabbits from a pet shop.

Give a home to a rabbit from a rescue centre. There are plenty around: example http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/ Rescue centres will usually neuter and properly health-check your bunny before you get him home.

2. Get your rabbit neutered (even if you only have one) .

As well as preventing unwanted pregnancies neutering helps to prevent disease (neutered rabbits are also calmer).

3. Rabbits are social animals – they will be much happier if you get them a friend to live with.

A neutered male/female couple is best. Most rescue centres will let you pick a pair and then “bond them†for you (rabbits can be aggressive on first meeting, so need to be carefully introduced). While not impossible, putting male rabbits together is not a good idea - fur will fly!

4. Proper diet is essential .

Rabbits should have fresh hay, fresh veg and rabbit pellets every day. And lots of fresh water. Rabbit health is very much linked to diet - bad diet = bad health.

5. Get pet insurance.

Rabbits can live for well over ten years. Even the smallest health complaint can lead to expensive vet bills. And if you are not prepared to look after you bunny when he gets ill (almost all do at some point) please don’t get one in the first place!

6. If possible, rabbits are better off kept indoors.

Domestic rabbits are not as hardy as their wild cousins and can die easily in extreme temperatures, especially hot weather. It is possible to buy very large indoor cages or you can keep allow them to be “free-range†(but they are very destructive!). If you keep them in an indoor cage, you must let them out to exercise every day. This is an example of a large indoor cage which is suitable for two rabbits http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp?cage=30

7. If you keep your rabbits outside, make sure they have plenty of shade and a lot of space.

A large hutch with a secure run attached to it is best.

8. Outside accommodation for rabbits must be like Fort Knox.

Many rabbits die horrible deaths because their hutches and runs are not fox-proof.

9. Rabbits need to be vaccinated against a number of diseases such as Myxomatosis, especially if they live outside.

Ask your vet for advice on this and common health problems e.g. fly strike. If rabbits stop eating or display unusual behaviour, such as holding their head on one side, take them to the vet immediately.

10. Rabbits do not make good pets for small children.

There are two reasons for this; firstly they can easily be injured by incorrect handling and secondly they often do not like to be picked up. This can lead to them scrabbling to get away, which in turn can lead to nasty scratches for the unfortunate child.

Feel free to PM me if you are thinking of getting a rabbit and need advice.

Here are a couple of our buns - Piper and Bobbie.

PiperandBobbie2.jpg

:wave:

Good advice :thumbs:

I would also add that if you keep them outside in an area where there are wild rabbits then there's a huge risk of them catching mixy. Even if your hutch and run area are 100% secure, wild rabbits and domesticated rabbits are highly likely to make nose to nose contact through the wire mesh. This is sadly what happened to my pet rabbits a few years ago. My rabbits had been vaccinated for mixy, but it isn't 100% effective and needs to be done twice a year, something I hadn't considered.

Pete

Good advice :thumbs:

I would also add that if you keep them outside in an area where there are wild rabbits then there's a huge risk of them catching mixy. Even if your hutch and run area are 100% secure, wild rabbits and domesticated rabbits are highly likely to make nose to nose contact through the wire mesh. This is sadly what happened to my pet rabbits a few years ago.

Pete

Really good point Pete. :thumbs:

Any advice on keeping snakes?

My Mrs always says ' Keep it in your trousers ' :blush: Sorry no use at all but think the sun has gone to my head today :lol:

I do keep it in my trousers, what you trying to say I'm cheating man whore? :boxing:

My Mrs always says ' Keep it in your trousers ' :blush: Sorry no use at all but think the sun has gone to my head today :lol:

I do keep it in my trousers, what you trying to say I'm cheating man whore? :boxing:

No its what my Mrs says to me hence why I said ' My Mrs ' :p:boxing:

No its what my Mrs says to me hence why I said ' My Mrs ' :p:boxing:

If you want to hide behind you Mrs then you do it. Did she catch you? :p

Anyway I hear it's not good to keep snakes on a plane.

I was going to say that they would be nice in a pie....but I wont :lol:

We tried a giant house rabbit once, man, could that thing p1ss......and next morning it had chewed through all my CCTV camera cables.

So it had to go back to the shop. Pets at home....

You need to add, keep all cables tucked away else they will go sparko.....

I was going to say that they would be nice in a pie....but I wont :lol:

We tried a giant house rabbit once, man, could that thing p1ss......and next morning it had chewed through all my CCTV camera cables.

So it had to go back to the shop. Pets at home....

You need to add, keep all cables tucked away else they will go sparko.....

I think that illustrates the value of prior research! :)

I was waiting for the pie joke - quite surprised it took so long to come actually :lol:

Yes - you are right about the cables - rabbits will chew through absolutely anything and are very partial to cables. My other half is bringing a new plug home because she accidentally forgot to wrap the cable around the hoover she keeps in the same room as the bunnies - few minutes and it was done for - they have teeth like razors. It's also best to avoid carpet if you have indoor rabbits. You can litter train some, but they do like to "go". Rabbit poop is pretty inoffensive, but their wee is quite whiffy and it will ruin a carpet. We have wooden floors, so it's an easy job to clean up. (Also means you need to clean out cages and hutches very frequently - preferably every day)

Another tip for keeping a rabbit: Never steal the batteries for use in the TV remote. The missus goes mad when she finds out.

;)

Great post by the OP, I've had loads of pets over the years (including rabbits) and that's some great advice there :thumbs:

My parents bought me a rabbit at the Dagenham town show, it hopped up and down in its box, so I called it Bob. I was 6 at the time.

I was 21 when Bob passed on - that was one wise old rabbit!

The funny thing was we also bought a Jack Russell, and rather than want to eat the rabbit which is what those dogs tend to do, he used to guard it religiously - got into loads of scrapes with cats - not sure if he was guarding a friend or just making sure no one else had his lunch away though...

My parents bought me a rabbit at the Dagenham town show, it hopped up and down in its box, so I called it Bob. I was 6 at the time.

I was 21 when Bob passed on - that was one wise old rabbit!

The funny thing was we also bought a Jack Russell, and rather than want to eat the rabbit which is what those dogs tend to do, he used to guard it religiously - got into loads of scrapes with cats - not sure if he was guarding a friend or just making sure no one else had his lunch away though...

That's a very good age for a bunny! :)

Our cats are scared of the rabbits!

Type Jack Rabbit into your favourite search engine.......

Rabbits.... just replace the batteries when they run out :shrug:

:lol::lol:

What does he mean? Can someone tell me where the batteries go? :wacko:

I dare not, it's my work compooter! :blush:

Type Jack Rabbit into your favourite search engine.......

Rabbits.... just replace the batteries when they run out :shrug:

:lol::lol:

What does he mean? Can someone tell me where the batteries go? :wacko:

I dare not, it's my work compooter! :blush:

There is a very good range of hand tools, spanners, etc made in the USA by a company called King Dick. So far, at work, I have never tried to access their web site :lol:

There is a very good range of hand tools, spanners, etc made in the USA by a company called King Dick. So far, at work, I have never tried to access their web site :lol:

it's easily done, one slip of the keyboard and you're up to your neck in filth!