any idea why my insurance is so high?

LiamR

Ive read though alot of posts on here, trying to get a good idea of how much everyone is paying and from where, but i cant get my insurance down to less than £1600 though comparison sites, tried admiral that was about the same, and tried sky aswell but need to ring them as quick quote wont be accurate ( quoted 750 but cant enter a claim on the quote)

I'm 32 years old, live in a quiet area of Lancaster, will have 4 years no claims as of next month, car parked on street or in a secure car port when im at work, im a chef. I have no convictions but do have 1 claim from last year on my prelude of £475 with no other drivers involved- no claims was affected (6 years down to 3)

Car is 350z 2004 ( imported in 2007 so its technically the fairlady z ) worth 6k and no mods ( although it does have a nismo kit on it and 20" rims- should I be declaring these as mods? )

Please, if anyone can help/shed some light on what might be pushing the premium up so high I would be extremely grateful

Cheers,

Liam

The kit and wheels MUST be declared as mods!

Probably a combination of job, postcode and your claim last year I suspect, not that I'm trying to be derogative about any of them though, just one of those weird ways insurers work :)

I believe even with protected no claims you lose out on all of the discount, but when it's been 3-5 years after the accident you'll return to the normal amount of discount.

You should be declaring anything that is not fitted to the standard model (this includes optional extras) although TBH in my experience the insurance companies will more than happily use the cost of the mods to write off the vehicle quicker while only allowing you to replace with standard parts :rant:

You could for example, argue that you replaced your brembo pads with Ferodo ones as an OEM swap and same with your discs likely but not brake hoses, so with your wheels you'd need to declare them and likewise the body kit.

And TBH I would put your excess up as high as you can afford.

Amazingly, declaring the mods and changing my profession to computer technician brings comparison price down to 1200! Still looking for under a grand though....

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far by the way- you have been a great help already :-)

ok after a bit of searching it would seem admiral have come up trumps with a quote of £945, with my "new" career change and my girlfriend as named driver AND the bodykit and wheels declared as mods, I honestly cant believe that low quote compared to the £1600 I thought I was going to have to shell out!!

Obviously that will be slightly more as I want to pay monthly but I am well happy with that, I am however going to phone a couple of places tomorrow that dont offer online quotes to see if I can sqeeze it down some more.

Thanks to everyones advice, happy days :-D

With you being a chef and listing yourself as a computer technician, that is technically fraud and the insurance company could decline to pay out in the case of in incident. It's fine to play a little with your job title a little bit to try get the price down, but changing your job completely can invalidate your policy. If it was fine to do so, everyone would be a managerial director or something...

I'm sure he didn't actually change his profession on there to computer technician in the end though, just in the searches for an idea of how it can change. Liam, what did you put it down as in the end? Kitchen manager? Food assistant?

ok after a bit of searching it would seem admiral have come up trumps with a quote of £945, with my "new" career change and my girlfriend as named driver AND the bodykit and wheels declared as mods, I honestly cant believe that low quote compared to the £1600 I thought I was going to have to shell out!!

Obviously that will be slightly more as I want to pay monthly but I am well happy with that, I am however going to phone a couple of places tomorrow that dont offer online quotes to see if I can sqeeze it down some more.

Thanks to everyones advice, happy days :-D

Kyler is absolutely right Liam but I am hoping as Ekona said you just did that to check the variation. But otherwise lying for insurance is as good as having no insurance. Your claim would be declined as soon as they find out that you are a chef not a computer wizard!!

Im my familys resident insurance "expert" atm having on average halved their insurance premiums this year.

The 350z in general is a high risk car, mainly because its powerful and rear wheel drive. You`ll find some quicker, faster cars coming in cheaper due to the old "statistics" game insurance companies play.

The obvious things for cheaper insurance is to be old, have lots of ncb and live in an area insurance companies class as "low risk". Now, these areas arent those which you`d necessarily regard as being low risk areas. I live in a quiet town, in a cul-de-sac full of old pensioners. The only bit of excitement my street ever sees is when 96 year old Ethal fell over and broke her hip. And yet, because my postcode falls under a local larger town, its classed as a higher risk area than my previous house which was in a big city on a main road with a much higher crime ratio.

Outside of moving house, changing job title can reduce the premium slightly as you have found out, parking on the street rather than in your drive & garage drops it slightly, adding other drivers can help - especially if they are old experienced drivers like your parents or grand parents.

Things you would have thought would make a different dont always do. Such as saying its just a 2nd car in which you`ll only use occasionally - makes no difference. Having previous experience of driving such cars, rather than going from a Ford Fiesta straight to a 350z - makes no difference. Parking in secure garage, having extra imobilisers, even chaining a Rottweiler to the car when not in use etc. etc. all makes no difference.

Thanks again guys, and just to clarify- I'm not about to lie about my job to get it cheaper, yeah its about 150 quid more but hell, if worst case happens and I have to claim I want to know they will cover me.

Best quote so far was admiral around the £850 mark but they wanted that upfront as 1 payment.

I have decided to pay a premium to my current insurer to see me though till july when my policy runs out, it was 200 quid but in July I will have another years no claims, hopefully :-)

Ive read though alot of posts on here, trying to get a good idea of how much everyone is paying and from where, but i cant get my insurance down to less than £1600 though comparison sites, tried admiral that was about the same, and tried sky aswell but need to ring them as quick quote wont be accurate ( quoted 750 but cant enter a claim on the quote)

I'm 32 years old, live in a quiet area of Lancaster, will have 4 years no claims as of next month, car parked on street or in a secure car port when im at work, im a chef. I have no convictions but do have 1 claim from last year on my prelude of £475 with no other drivers involved- no claims was affected (6 years down to 3)

Car is 350z 2004 ( imported in 2007 so its technically the fairlady z ) worth 6k and no mods ( although it does have a nismo kit on it and 20" rims- should I be declaring these as mods? )

Please, if anyone can help/shed some light on what might be pushing the premium up so high I would be extremely grateful

Cheers,

Liam

1) your occupation

2) your postcode

3) the vehicle

4) the recent claim

5) street parking (with some insurers)

6) import car (effects price with some insurers)

And yes, of course those modifications need declaring!!

• 2 weeks later...

work that one out! :bang:

They pay out more for claims for garaged cars than they do for cars kept on the street.

Which is utterly ludicrous, so your telling me someone keeping their prize possession in the garage should pay more for insurance than leaving it on the street for any drunk 15 year old to come key/stand on....

:thumbdown:

Which is utterly ludicrous, so your telling me someone keeping their prize possession in the garage should pay more for insurance than leaving it on the street for any drunk 15 year old to come key/stand on....

:thumbdown:

:headhurt: No, I'm not saying that at all, I agree with you but I am answering the question you posted on the forum 'work that one out' . This particular insurer pays out more for garaged cars than cars kept on the street, this isn't the case with all insurers and for the record, isn't the case with the company I work for .

Cheers

Ollie

It's because clumsy buggers reverse their car in to the garage wall rather than the garage itself :doh:

Also thefts from garages are higher as once a theif is inside a garage he is out of sight.

Were as on a street they are in full view at all times. So in theory your car is "safer" from theft.

It's because clumsy buggers reverse their car in to the garage wall rather than the garage itself :doh:

Also thefts from garages are higher as once a theif is inside a garage he is out of sight.

Were as on a street they are in full view at all times. So in theory your car is "safer" from theft.

Thats my understanding on it.

The fact that in my case a thief would have to break through heavy duty steel security gates to get into my drive, then hotwire and move 2 cars out of the way, before then breaking into the garage in order to get to the car. Then have to break into the zed, start it up (waking the entire neighbourhood incl myself) and drive it out of the garage actually makes my premium more expensive than if I left the zed on the street outside.