High Octane..really?

DaJimstar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought HR's had knock detection all the way to the redline. Also I think its a far smaller problem than people think it is. Would you rather a well looked after never drove hard properly warmed up 350z thats run on standard or a ragged the hell out of tatty run on super?

Depends how he's driven it really. I've probably put about 10-20% 95RON in over the years, the local garage doesn't always have 98RON and I don't lose any sleep over it but then again I don't often go over 4k revs :shrug:

Pete

He said Nissan told him it was ok.. :scare: he stressed he hardly drove it fast... 14k miles?? its a bit of a deal breaker for me... mixed opionions.. on searches? it was lovely other than that... :):thumbs: It just concerns me he alternated usage? :wacko::wacko:

To be fair the the seller, he's being honest. Any seller could easily say it's always been run on Super when in fact it's never seen the stuff. I'd say the car is probably fine and hasn't been driven hard except maybe the odd couple of hundred meter dash on a straight, like most of these cars. Unless of course it's done to the balls for the track, in which case, you may have something to worry about.

He said Nissan told him it was ok.. :scare: he stressed he hardly drove it fast... 14k miles?? its a bit of a deal breaker for me... mixed opionions.. on searches? it was lovely other than that... :):thumbs: It just concerns me he alternated usage? :wacko::wacko:

If you do buy it will any sound the car makes bother you?

It just concerns me he alternated usage? :wacko::wacko:

The sensible way to alternate would be to fill up with 95RON when it had half a tank of 98RON already in it (and vice versa), keep the RON around 96.5 that way. To run it to empty between alternations would be pointless really.

Pete

As others have said above, it's probably not a problem if the car hasn't been thrashed on a daily basis. It's probably not a problem even if it has. Who knows ?

Thing is, if you have any doubts in your mind just walk away from it. There are plenty of Z's out there. However, it doesn't matter what you end up buying, you will never know how its been driven or what fuel has been used. It's all a gamble buying a 2nd hand car but most of us will only ever be able to do that due to new car prices.

In fairness to the seller, at least he was honest. I bought my Z from a very reputable 'Lotus' dealership and part of the deal was that they threw in a full tank of fuel. I bet they didn't put V-Power in it.

I only ever use high octane fuel but thats only because of the scare mongering that goes on. For all i know the original owner could have run it on premium unleaded sine day one :shrug:

As others have said above, it's probably not a problem if the car hasn't been thrashed on a daily basis. It's probably not a problem even if it has. Who knows

I only ever use high octane fuel but thats only because of the scare mongering that goes on. For all i know the original owner could have run it on premium unleaded sine day one :shrug:

That my good man is exactly what I am thinking better to get a low miler (13k) which I am aware of rather than one which is a compelte gamble at 20k miles, he has since text and said changed/switched at around 1/4 of a tank..

Most modern Porsche's can tell you how many times the car has been redlined, fuel cut and so on. I'm not sure if the 350 ecu would log these things. Even if it did it still wouldnt show you any damage.

My log file will have exceeded the size limit by now then :D

I would probably walk myself, I really dont think it would be an issue but there are plenty of others around :thumbs:

Most modern Porsche's can tell you how many times the car has been redlined, fuel cut and so on. I'm not sure if the 350 ecu would log these things. Even if it did it still wouldnt show you any damage.

I would probably walk myself, I really dont think it would be an issue but there are plenty of others around :thumbs:

I have been looking for 2 months :headhurt: I want a 313 engine.. and thats it, from that just has to be low milage, maintained properly and mint..

It'll be fine; I've known several cars over the year that have been fresh imports, tuned to japans higher spec fuel and ran on 95ron, they've all survived.

I'd never even consider asking about fuel tbh but do run mine on super :)

It'll be fine; I've known several cars over the year that have been fresh imports, tuned to japans higher spec fuel and ran on 95ron, they've all survived.

I'd never even consider asking about fuel tbh.

Just spoke to Lockwood and greenwood in Manc, and they said should be fine, you wont know for sure but wont with any, but should be fine...

Sounds like you are soooooo close to finding your dream zed.

No way of ensuring a 313 zed has consumed only super unleaded unless all the previous owners are well known OC members who have cherished their engines with posts on the forum indicating their prefered JUICE. Or even better one careful forum member from new.

I suppose you could look to other clues to extended spirited use such as if it's on it's 5th set of tyres and pads since new :shrug:

Must be a nail biting time when the car ticks ALMOST all the right boxes and you feel on the edge of closing the deal.

On a positive note I haven't heard of many DEAD ZEDS due to cheap fuel unlike the greater number of zeds afflicted with

-clicky axels

-busted Bose

-iffy tailgate struts etc

although much more minor compared to a dead engine, like I said, unless I'm wrong there haven't been that many posted cases since I've been on here in the past 4/5 yrs (i was a lurker for a couple yrs) and i'm sure alot of older zeds have been running mixed fuels since 2002/3 with some going over the 4k rev mark too.

Easy for me to say not to worry, but I would probably be just as para in your situation :lol:

Good luck with whatever happens anyway :wave:

I can't believe people are saying walk away from a car that the owner has said that he has used SOME 95ron fuel, especially at such low mileage. Unless you've owned your car from new, you have no idea what it has been ran on, full stop. Never mind how it's been driven.

I'd be MUCH more concerned about Price, Condition, Mileage, Service History, Clutch, Tyres and brakes. In that order.

I wouldn't even bother asking what fuel the owner has run it on, as the answer is largely irrelevant unless you can be provided with some sort of a graph to show how it's been driven whilst on 95ron.

All this scaremongering is bloody annoying. There has been one reported issue of piston failure on a high mileage 04 car, this does NOT mean all 350z's are going to blow up. High Octane fuel is recommended, not mandatory.The oil consumption on the rev up engine was a MUCH bigger problem that affected a HUGE number of cars, but people don't seem care about that.