Newbie with a braking issue

Nolly227

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and new the ZED experience! Went on a driver skills days at Silverstone last week and absolutely loved it!

Up until the brakes failed :lol: and I had to resort to using the demo cars. Seeing as this happened I took the opportunity to have new front discs and pads (which I supplied) put on and the brake fluid replaced.

Problem I have is ever since I have had the car back from garage (Independent), the car feels even more spongy than it was after the brakes failed. So bad infact that when I start the car up the pedal will go 3/4 of the way to the floor with little effort.

There just not right. I spoke to the garage and they said the mechanic thought they were spongy and therefore bleed them twice for good measure and they think it may be the master cylinder which is going (I hope this is not the case). But after reading the threads I'm thinking it may be the fact that they haven't bleed all 8 nipples, or in the correct order?

Anyone had the same issue before??? If so what is the correct procedure for bleeding the brakes (Standard Brembo calipers front and Rear)? Just hoping its not the master cylinder!

:welcome:

Then bleed them again!

My guess is they have air in or you boiled the fluid when you killed the brakes and is hasn't all flushed out.

If a long bleed and flush fails then I may start thinking the master cylinder has a problem.

Edit: tip wedge the brake pedal hard down overnight with a piece of wood from the drivers seat. See if that helps if it does bleed them one more time and you will be sorted ;)

Thanks for responding guys,

Just been sitting in the car and when starting it and depressing the brake pedal, it will go down 3/4 then stiffen and If I do that several times it will eventually start to get hard. So i'm hoping it just needs a good bleed. Going to take it back to the garage tomorrow and ask them to do it again. Do you know the correct procedure to efficiently bleed these brakes? I've heard there notoriously tricky!

I’ve had the same problem. The brake pedal used to be ok until I changed my pads one year. I can’t understand why but it seemed to have happened when I pushed a brake cylinder back and noticed I'd spilt some fluid out of the reservoir. Anyway afterwards the brake seemed spongy. Took it to Quick fit, nearest place to me, who bled them for me. When I picked it up they were just the same. I complained and to cut a long story short they bled them several times again but with the same result. Contacted the main dealer who said they may have got air in the servo and they should power bleed them (I think that was the expression) anyway some kit that forces the fluid through the lines). The Quick Fit guys took it to another branch that had the kit and bled them again. This time they were much better but still not spot on and since then the pedal feel has never been quite the same as before the fiasco :angry: . I fitted new pads in November last year following which the pedal felt rock hard. However the pads have worn down a bit now and the pedal once again feels a bit spongy :thumbdown: . Its going in for its P3 on Thursday so I’m going to get the stealer to have a go.

Good luck with yours though. :thumbs:

I’ve had the same problem. The brake pedal used to be ok until I changed my pads one year. I can’t understand why but it seemed to have happened when I pushed a brake cylinder back and noticed I'd spilt some fluid out of the reservoir. Anyway afterwards the brake seemed spongy. Took it to Quick fit, nearest place to me, who bled them for me. When I picked it up they were just the same. I complained and to cut a long story short they bled them several times again but with the same result. Contacted the main dealer who said they may have got air in the servo and they should power bleed them (I think that was the expression) anyway some kit that forces the fluid through the lines). The Quick Fit guys took it to another branch that had the kit and bled them again. This time they were much better but still not spot on and since then the pedal feel has never been quite the same as before the fiasco :angry: . I fitted new pads in November last year following which the pedal felt rock hard. However the pads have worn down a bit now and the pedal once again feels a bit spongy :thumbdown: . Its going in for its P3 on Thursday so I’m going to get the stealer to have a go.

Good luck with yours though. :thumbs:

According to a very well known expert on here we shouldnt powerbleed the 350z dont know why but thats what i've been informed

Yep sounds like air. I bet they didn't bleed the inner nipples.

Make a point of telling them that there are two nipples on each caliper - one inner, one outer. And make sure they do it the old fashion way (one person on the pedal and one doing the bleeding)

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem after fitting discs, pads, lines and new fluid all round at the weekend. Bled each nipple SEVEN times to get the new fluid all through the system. Even from the first bleed there was no air coming out but I did let the fluid run through the HEL lines before attaching to the caliper to minimize the amount of air I would have to get out when it came to bleeding.

I don't see how it could be the master cylinder in my case as the brakes were working fine before I swapped everything out, so it must be air in the system. But if i've bled all 8 nipples in the correct order (N/S/R, O/S/F, O/S/R, N/S/F, INNER NIPPLE FIRST) 7 times each and went through nearly a liter of fluid, how could there still be air in the system somewhere?