The berks effect - video

Will370z

Recently i had my Stillen exhaust installed and absolutely loved it. Sounded great and was far better than the 370z stock. But it wasnt enough. I wanted more so I got back in touch with Tarmac to order some berks. I put together the berks group buy but a few people didnt know what the Berks was going to be like so i decided to be a guinea pig and try it out. I contacted Tarmac and asked if he could send me the Berks HFCs and i could report back for those interested.

All i can say is O.M.G. - but before we get into the review:

First off i'd like to say two big big thankyous to 2 of the members on here.

Firstly Tarmac - what fantastic service. He managed to get my Stillen exhaust over from the USA in just under 3 days ready for the install - what a guy. Then managed to get the berks out in less than a day ready for install on Saturday morning

Secondly a huge huge thankyou to Darren-B - knight in shining armour on this forum. He really does go above and beyond to help out a friend. I contacted numerous garages i trusted and none could install on such short notice. I pm'd some friends on the forum about being totally gutted and Daz offered to do the install and Spursmaddave offered a helping hand - you stars :)

So i turn up at 9.30 and i think poor darren was expecting a quick and easy fit.........oh nooooo Rosie put up quite a fight. The bolts were refusing to budge and getting to the top bolts through the engine bay was crazy. We had to remove the air boxes and move wires so we could even get close. I would not advise doing this job at home - get a garage to do it. We were lucky as Darren has his own pit but it was still a big job.

Heres some pics

The berks:

IMG_0307.jpg

Another Zed shed in the making :)

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Then we fired her up. Oh my. We all thought the same thing - she sounds like a V8. It was a lot deeper and had more volume.

Darren and Dave took her for a spin and they both had the same child like huge grin on their face. You get quite a burble low in the range and it is still quite civilised. There is no distortion or resonance that i was worried about. Cruising at any constant speed is comfortable and there is no droning on the motorway at all.

However put your foot down and the world changes - its Jackal and Hyde. She literally turns into a racing car. Its amazing. I was worried it was too loud but she just sounds fantastic. For me whilst at speed if you put your foot down i couldnt hear that much from the Stillen, i know behind it sounds amazing but in the roadster i couldnt get enough of it, now i hear a whole lot :cloud9:

I know when i added the berks to the Milltek it sounded nice, a mellow burble that got throaty as you accelerated. The Stillen is different, its had more of an impact, it sounds very much like a V8.

The syncro rev on downchanges - oh boy. I will admit Darren seemed to enjoy it far too much going from 4th down to 2nd in traffic which i think shocked Dave behind.

I will admit the volume does worry me a little for an every day car. If you boot it all the time shes going to make a noise, but if i take is wasy as i would normally shes quite civilised, and if im not juvenile with the syncro rev or turn if off in traffic its ok. The car really does have 2 flip sides now - the next few weeks will be interesting as i get to know the berks and it starts to settle in.

There is a vibration coming into the car at present but that is due to a fitment issue with the Stillen, due to the welds and the angel of the tubes, as the exhaust is sitting on the brace. Darren couldnt sort that but i'll take it back to the Garage who fitted it to see if they can sort the problem. But Tarmac is on the case and very supportive which is great :#1: Another reason for me to use someone like him rather than go it alone.

Met Zugara earlier today who rather liked the new Rosie. I got the biggest compliment ever as I heard him say it sounded better than his old HKS exhaust - now that is something. We did a run through the hindhead tunnel and i'll post a vid up later.

Then over to Glrnet so he could try out Rosie. He smiled just like the others :teeth:

Have to say Graham your car looked stunning, all that hard work paid off shes looking great. And Dave i love what you've done with your roof - it really does look professionally done.

Anyways enough of me rambling - heres a video comparing the stock, stillen and Stillen + Berks.

Hope all you guys in the group buy like it :)

I'll post up the hindhead run when its uploaded.

I drove the beast for about 15 minutes or so and I couldn't stop smiling :D:D Even when Will pulled sedately off out driveway to leave I was quietly grinning to myself as I went back to sorting out the airbox on my car, about a minute later I literally burst out laughing as Will gunned Rosie down the lane a the back of the house. :lol::lol: happy days :thumbs: Will, it sounds absolutely great, hope you get used to it :):thumbs: Thanks for popping round and letting me have a play, I love this place. :yahoo::yahoo:

MUCH MUCH BETTER!

I thought the Stillen sounded reserved, almost 350z stock. But those HFC's really make a massive difference and really let those sounds exit as they should.

No wonder you were all smilling B)

good lord that sounds yummy lol, pleased that your happy with it. I assume on the autoblip downshift it sounds awesome too. Just imagine it decatted ;)

I also massively wish I had a pit in my garage, I need to make friends with some of you lot that have these awesome home garage setups :blush:

good lord that sounds yummy lol, pleased that your happy with it. I assume on the autoblip downshift it sounds awesome too. Just imagine it decatted ;)

I also massively wish I had a pit in my garage, I need to make friends with some of you lot that have these awesome home garage setups :blush:

Yup the autoblip is so much fun - you can hear Zugara doing it in the distance as he slows during the last drive by. :cloud9:

The solution to the vibration against the brace is an easy fix, put a washer on each bolt between the brace and under body :thumbs:

Your set up sounds awesome B) Nearly as good as the Akro/Berk combo :stir:;)

Its all your fault mate - ever since you posted your review of the berks i had to have it on the milltek and now on the Stillen :)

Thanks for the tip, good idea

That sounds very dirty Will... and I like dirty :cloud9: You must be chuffed with that! :thumbs:

Dirty is a good word :lol:

Rosie isnt so innocent any more

Haha! Yeah to be honest mate I was being polite to Rosie, she is one filthy little monkey ( still being polite ) :lol:

Im going to make sure Im not near you on the Wales meet, im wanting to hear my exhaust not yours :p

That sir, is a very wise observation :surrender: You definitely won't hear your own zorst :wacko:

That sounds very dirty Will... and I like dirty :cloud9: You must be chuffed with that! :thumbs:

Dirty is a good word :lol:

Rosie isnt so innocent any more

Haha! Yeah to be honest mate I was being polite to Rosie, she is one filthy little monkey ( still being polite ) :lol:

Im going to make sure Im not near you on the Wales meet, im wanting to hear my exhaust not yours :p

That sir, is a very wise observation :surrender: You definitely hear your own zorst :wacko:

Dont know my zorst now has a bit more of a bark to it ;) Though still will keep afar from Will and and Rosie ;)

Look forward to seeing Rosie down Port Solent Will :thumbs: