reversing cameras

wesmin

I would like to guage forumers views on reversing cameras, I don't have one on my 370 and have never driven a car with one. My best buddy owns a mazda franchise and his view is that they are a waste of money bought as an extra. :headhurt:

other than the fact that when reversing - you can get within millimetres of any rearward offending articles ie a tight garage or parking in a limited length slot

I'm all for them :thumbs:

don't get me wrong though - I use all available tools at my disposal ie my eyes, wing mirrors, open the door if necessary ;)

Not sure I would spec one on a new car but seeing as on the Zed it cost less than £20 and about half an hour to fit then why not :thumbs:

Can't see how the size of the vehicle makes much difference, I always reverse into parking spaces now and give it a quick look, if it saves me hitting a low post that I can't see or something of that nature then I will be happy :)

On some 4x4s or vehicles with limited rear view, I think they are a good safety measure. If people don't actually look behind their vehicle before getting in it with the intention of reversing, objects such as prams/puschairs and small children are not visible from the drivers seat using any of the mirrors. Its worth noting that for this very reason, in the US there are plans afoot to make the installation of reversing cameras compulsory on all new vehicles from 2014. Similar suggestions are also being made in Australia.

I doubt it will be long before our country follows suit. Indeed as the US is such a large market for many manufacturers, we will probably see all cars here having reverse cameras by default anyway, as they will just form part of the standard spec.

If you actually walk/look behind your vehicle before reversing it, then they not be that useful for you, but for that one time it prevents you hitting something that you didnt know was there, they could prove useful.

I can take them or leave them. I spent about £200 on mine and would prefer that to claiming on my insurnace if I ever hit a post. But before I had it, I wasnt desperate for one, nor do I miss it when driving cars without them. As with ioneabee - I use all the tools I can to do the job, so if its there use it, if not, no biggie.

However, not so much a dilema for new 370z owners as reversing cam is now part of Connect Premium, which is well worth the money with or without the camera.

If you have a 2010 car then a cam can be fitted quite easily and is nice to have, just depends how much cash you have kicking around. I'd be worried personally if a few hundred quid breaks the bank in a 370z owners mind as they are expensive cars to run! Will cost you way more in insurance should you bump into something ;)

However, not so much a dilema for new 370z owners as reversing cam is now part of Connect Premium, which is well worth the money with or without the camera.

If you have a 2010 car then a cam can be fitted quite easily and is nice to have, just depends how much cash you have kicking around. I'd be worried personally if a few hundred quid breaks the bank in a 370z owners mind as they are expensive cars to run! Will cost you way more in insurance should you bump into something ;)

Indeed. Just seen the cost of a replacement connect premium hdd and nearly had a heart attack :scare: . £10k!

I think they are rather good and much more discreet than the parking sensors.

I have it on good authority that XVision are planning on launching a good aftermarket one but I don’t have any details as yet.

I might be tempted on the basis that it would be another way of avoiding a nasty bump on the bum and I don't like the look of parking sensors.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know (or know where I get get) the details of the pin-outs on the 2010 Connect Premium Nav Unit? I'd like to fit a reversing camera - and possibly side cameras if it's doable - on my 370.

From the pics I've seen (and I haven't dismantled my unit, yet), it looks like a 24-pin DIL with a few unused - presumably for accessories like a camera.

I've seen pretty expensive harnesses for sale to T-in a camera, so the info must be out there somewhere. Have to say, I've drawn a blank so far :shrug:

Thanks,

Jerry, Cambridge.

Here's the 360 camera view on a 2012 QQ+2 (as supplied by our very own Toby :thumbs: ). It is quite confusing, still getting used to it, but very good once you've got your head around it (a bit un-nerving as you obviously can't use your eyes & look at the screen at the same time if you know what I mean!!).

In fact, my wife really missed the 'beeps' from her X3, so I've bought her that XVision kit Toby eludes to above (but just the basic rear bumper beep version). Just need to get it fitted. So, she'll have 360 degree cameras, and beeps. I'll fecking kill her if she still bumps it :bangin: .

This was taken on my first attempt, hence still being crooked (mmm :blink: ).

I've seen pretty expensive harnesses for sale to T-in a camera, so the info must be out there somewhere. Have to say, I've drawn a blank so far :shrug:

The harness I have is from a chap in the States on the US forums. It was expensive for what it is but the pin-outs arent common knowledge and he uses the actual Nissan connectors so its 100% plug and play. Well worth it for the hassle it saves and still cheaper than most aftermarket solutions. Technically I could just go rip out my connectors and post a pic, but Brian put a lot of effort in to getting it to work so wouldnt rip off his work. Also you will have to work out all the values to programme the Nav unit to display the grid lines properly which Brian gives you the figures for. Again I could reproduce them but its belittling his very good work.

This is the kit I have - http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-370 ... -camera-ho

And it in action:

55dd1d5d.jpg

The harness I have is from a chap in the States on the US forums. It was expensive for what it is but the pin-outs arent common knowledge and he uses the actual Nissan connectors so its 100% plug and play. Well worth it for the hassle it saves and still cheaper than most aftermarket solutions. Technically I could just go rip out my connectors and post a pic, but Brian put a lot of effort in to getting it to work so wouldnt rip off his work. Also you will have to work out all the values to programme the Nav unit to display the grid lines properly which Brian gives you the figures for. Again I could reproduce them but its belittling his very good work.

This is the kit I have - http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-370 ... -camera-ho

And it in action:

55dd1d5d.jpg

I've been looking at this site. Did you buy the camera separately? And was it easy to install and set up?

One fitted as standard on my Navara, But its only a 4 month old vehicle. Wasn't that fussed about it to be honest, but it proved invaluable the other day when i backed into a supermarket bay, only to see the woman in the car next to me loading her boot and her 5 year old wandered behind my reversing truck!!!! Without that camera God knows what might have happened!!!

I've been looking at this site. Did you buy the camera separately? And was it easy to install and set up?

Yes bought the camera seperately off eBay. Saves on paying duty on it then. Very easy to install, if you get it from Brian he includes instructions and settings for the headunit.

One fitted as standard on my Navara, But its only a 4 month old vehicle. Wasn't that fussed about it to be honest, but it proved invaluable the other day when i backed into a supermarket bay, only to see the woman in the car next to me loading her boot and her 5 year old wandered behind my reversing truck!!!! Without that camera God knows what might have happened!!!

That is exactly why I have one, those who say they are for women or for people who can't park are missing the point, it is one of those things that you don't know you need until it is too late :thumbs:

I have it on good authority that XVision are planning on launching a good aftermarket one but I don’t have any details as yet.

I have popped an e-mail in to chase up the progress of this with XVision. I will post as soon as i hear somthing :thumbs:

I have popped an e-mail in to chase up the progress of this with XVision. I will post as soon as i hear somthing :thumbs:

Nice one Toby!

Defo on the list of things!