London > Scotland : I need a pretty route!

dmstewart

Hi all,

Me and a mate are planning a bit of a road trip to go see some friends up in Scotland, but we would rather make the most of our cars on the journey and so we're attempting to find the most scenic route we can to get up there, without doubling the time it would take to get there via the somewhat boring motorways.

We're going to be leaving from Southend on Sea and arriving at St. Andrews, near Dundee - everything else in between is up for debate. The standard route would take approximately 9 hours non-stop and probably go via the M25, M1, M6, A74, M74...

On a map the A74 and upwards looks like it might be quite nice (although I've never been up there so the map may be fooling me), but obviously the M24, M1, M6 etc are about as enjoyable as the fuel bill.

So, has anyone got some ideas for a better route that would spice it up and give us a chance to enjoy some scenery and give the 350 a bit of fun?

Cheers all! :teeth:

P.S. Picked up my 350 a month or so ago and am absolutely loving it!!

As a suggestion if you do end up coming up via the A74, come off at Junction 15 for Moffat. The order of the roads to follow is then:

A701 - A72 - left on to A721 - right onto A702 - A720 - A8 - A902 - A90 - M90 - A92 - A921 - A915 - A918

Round about 100 miles to St. Andrews and probably about 2 hours

^ Chris's suggestion for X-country is a good one if you're coming up the west :thumbs:

If you want to get here fast come straight up the west as you have detailed - but if you want a :drive1 then come up the East and come off the A1 onto the A698 and head up through the Borders via Coldstream and onto the A68 and over Soutra.

Your sat nav will tell you to come up through Fife on the A92 - ignore it :lol: Once you're here you are within an hour of some great driving roads around Angus and Highland Perthshire :teeth:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=41649&hilit=mini+hoon

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=42322&hilit=mini+hoon

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=24000&hilit=glenshee

Some of the best scenery in Scotland is.... in the opposite direction of where ur going :lol:

When I opened the thread I was hoping u were going somewhere on the northwest cos the drive up the west coast is phenomenal... But I'm not helping :lol: so listen to the other guys who know that area

between the M6 and the A1 the A1 is a nice route. its the costal road from about yorkshire up. but it takes longer a fair bit due to single carriage ways etc.

if you can do it cross country its worth a go. but you'll find it an incredibly long drive.

Try the A1 up to Wetherby,A19,through the Tyne Tunnel,back onto the A1 up to Stannington/Morpeth then hit the A697 which takes you over the borders up to Edinburgh and the Forth bridge for Dundee. :thumbs:

Agree but you could try the A68 up to edinburgh

Travel regularly back to Kinghorn Fife, you'll go pass that way to St Andrews. I always take the A68 about 10 miles or so after Scotch Corner on the A1. Lovely scenic route through the lowlands of Scotland approaching from Carter Bar the border of Scotland and England.

I wouldn't go on M1, too crowded and too long to be any fun.

My suggestion would be to go from Southend on Sea to A1 (via M11, A14 maybe) and stay on A1 all the way up to Scotch Corner. Not the most exciting scenery but there are quite few changes in the roads that should make things more interesting.

From Scotch Corner take the A66 to Penrith, great scenery along the way and wide open road.

From Penrith the M6, A74 and M74 should be good too. North of Glasgow you can't go wrong either way.

From Scotch Corner take the A66 to Penrith, great scenery along the way and wide open road.

From Penrith the M6, A74 and M74 should be good too. North of Glasgow you can't go wrong either way.

But why cross over to the other side of the country to have to come back?

A must, once you in Scotland, is the A821 around the Trossachs :D

And you should try and get up the west and north coast of Scotland where the roads and scenery are a pure delight, as is of much of Celts domain :thumbs:

In 2008 in UK56 ZED we drove from Surrey to Mid Wales - stayed at Bala for a night, then on around to the Lakes and stayed a couple of nights and then into Scotland for the Hoon. About 2.5k miles in all covered but one of the best drives we have done. But steer clear of the A1/M1 IMO :thumbdown:

Looking at some of these replies there is a distinct lack of geographical knowledge going on? St Andrews is on the east coast in the Kingdom of Fife. :boat:

They are southerners, think england stops at Potters Bar :p

But why cross over to the other side of the country to have to come back?

Yeah, sorry missed the part about St Andrews. But the OP did mentioned going on the A74/M74 so it's just another way to that route. And according to Google A1/A66/A74/M74/A80 is 478 miles when M1/M6/A74/M74/A80 is 490 miles, so a bit shorter in fact.

Otherwise the shortest is A1/A696/A68 to Edinburgh which was also recommended.

Looking at some of these replies there is a distinct lack of geographical knowledge going on? St Andrews is on the east coast in the Kingdom of Fife. :boat:

I know - it is appalling :lol:

east coast - A698 - A68 FTW :thumbs: But would still avoid the A92 when you get to Fife unless you go right accross onto coastal tourist route up via Leven / Largo/Elie/Crail etc which will add another hour on :)

I work in Tilbury and Dundee at the moment but live in the Lake district so have tried a few routes.

My suggestion is A13, M25, M11 then A1. If you want to really add to the route try the A66 across to the west coast onto the M6 then head north to Moffat and take the tourist route over to Edinburgh. Wave to the tugs as you cross the Forth road bridge. :)