Anybody get married abroad?

AK350Z

Just wondering if anybody tied the knot abroad, especially if it was somewhere a bit warmer! :sun:

I'm especially interested in your experiences, cost, and how much hassle it was to organise.

Thanks! :teeth:

My brother got married in Tenerife last year but you can't officially get married over there without being a resident for a number of years, so they had a registry office do in London the day of the royal wedding, my brother had booked it before the royals did! They were then on million pound drop that day and won £25k.

Her dad has a holiday home in Tenerife so I think that helped in that he knew the places to go etc.

:snack:

Will be following this as we're looking at getting married abroad in July 2013 in the maldives i think.. or Bora Bora if i can save up enough B)

Thought you said Tora Bora for a minute there! :blink:

bin_cave_beer.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can't get married in the Maldives. They only do blessings for non Muslims I'm sure.

We looked all over but Jayne knew what she actually wanted so we had to find that rather than the actual place. Plenty nice places in Europe though! My mate got married in Italy actually - all was fine until he got divorced, then there were issues with translation and it turned out he wasn't divorced at all! :lol::lol:

I felt that some of the 'package weddings' looked a little like a production line in some of the places so it's something to look out for if you decide to do it that way.

Im getting married in Cyprus in Oct this year, only got engaged in Zante in sept last year, i was was told we wouldnt rush into getting married! :doh:

The wedding is all booked and paid for, we have a wedding planner over there sorting that side of things. Hotels and flights are booked for 15 people, misses has chosen a dress last week...

If anyones thinking about it, i say do it! works out cheaper than doing it in uk and its a break/holiday aswell!

We are having a pish up the weekend after we are back, booked a function room :thumbs:

Don't think Vegas really appeals to us. I was thinking more Europe really, but who knows!

My m8 had has stag do in Vegas, he ended up meeting a stripper over there and finished with his misses the week before the wedding!!

We are having a pish up the weekend after we are back, booked a function room :thumbs:

This is what we did.

We originally had planned the whole white wedding thing and had booked a stately home/hotel that had a church on site. It would have been amazing. However, once the invoices started to roll in the total price was getting stupid. I got an invoice from the venue for £31k, that covered hire of the venue (church & marquee), wedding breakfast and evening buffet, evening disco, champagne reception and rooms at the hotel. We had 200+ guests and once you start looking at food it's easy to get to £100 a head and at almost every wedding there are people moaning about the food, and if I'd have heard this I would have chopped their heads off :scare::lol:

That was also without anything such as rings, her dress, flowers for the venue, car hire, suit hire, photographer or honeymoon! It would have easily spiralled over £50k!!!

Then I had a falling out with some close family members who threatened to boycott my wedding. It suddenly dawned on me that I was going to spend over £50k to feed and room other people. It also concerned me that if anyone ruined my day (like not turning up, getting drunk, causing a scene etc) that I would have spent £50k to have it ruined by someone!

So we binned off all those plans, and instead of having 200+ guests, me and Laura, booked flights to Vegas for just me & her and spent about £6k on getting married there, staying in a suite at the MGM, helicopter rides over the strip and generally had an amazing time as we focused on what it was actually all about, me & Laura, and not feeding a load of people that we probably hadn't seen for years.

We then booked a marquee at a nice hotel in the UK the week after and spent about £10k on that and had a great time as there was no pressure etc.

Looking back I would be really annoyed with myself if I had spent £50k+ on a single day. I know we could have done it cheaper but it was either all or nothing for us and I'm glad we did it the way we did it now as we have only positive memories :)

I'm going to Mexico next month for my sisters wedding.

Two weeks all inclusive :D

Not too much hassle as she got a wedding package through the hotel we are staying in. Hotel is called The Royal in Cancun. Cost about 2000 per person but thats a 5 star hotel on inclusive for two weeks.

As you've mentioned Europe this is a bit off the mark, but for much the same reasons as Sarnie we decamped to Antigua in 2002 and got hitched by the beach. Gloriously sunny and warm in November and nice quiet location in the hotel we chose - we don't like being the centre of attention...

It would have been just the 2 of us but my folks had been stiffed by my brother when he got married in Australia so they came too!

Liams got the right idea :lol: Albeit with a budget about 10 times ours!

The main problem seems to be the costs in england seem to spiral out of control very quickly, even if you just have a handful of guests, don't know what it's like in scotland you can get married anywhere can't you?

The main problem seems to be the costs in england seem to spiral out of control very quickly, even if you just have a handful of guests, don't know what it's like in scotland you can get married anywhere can't you?

I know a great place not to far from you, you can come try it out in about 8 weeks ;):lol: None of this £100+/head crap either, good food and venue at a reasonable price. Helps having an event organiser as a fiancee (and shes only 10% over budget, and within contigency!)

I know a great place not to far from you, you can come try it out in about 8 weeks ;):lol: None of this £100+/head crap either, good food and venue at a reasonable price. Helps having an event organiser as a fiancee (and shes only 10% over budget, and within contigency!)

You didn't seriously think that the contingency wouldn't get used did you???? :lol: