Keeping running costs down!!

rhys1344

Has anyone got any good money saving tips for using the zed? I have a 1 mile trip to work so immediate answer would be to walk / cycle. I feel that I get pretty awful fuel economy due to the amount of "urban" driving I have to do (and that loud pedal sounds so good!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: )

Does anyone have any good money saving tips, I would like to get myself a shed but insuring that alongside the 350z and taxing it etc will probably be more expensive!! (Trying to save up for a mortgage so every penny counts :p )

Hi Mate,

I think you already answered. I'm staying about 3-4 miles from my work so I'm buying a bike (Just waiting when shops will get more stock of 2012 models).

My plan is to cycle as much as possible.

1. I will save on petrol

2. I will reduce the weight of my Zed by loosing a few pounds Haha

3. ... yeah...;]

:drive1

I think it's the prospects that I will have to be spending about £800 sorting out my exhaust system too, along with insurance renewal soon.. just been doing figures and i'm out and about in it too much for my own good haha! Puts a smile on my face without fail :)

hmmm, doing the same as you, and i have been pondering the same thing... two ideas ive had...

use a different oil, for example 0w-30 as opposed to 5w-30 - hence gets warm quicker and helps with the short journeys

or... as the handbook says, switch to 'hot' spark plugs that are more suited to short journeys and lower running temps?

and another basic one from me... i've noticed that appearing to have a full tank week after week encourages me to just 'go for a drive', so now i only fill it a quarter of a tank at a time, which enough to go to and from work for like, 3 weeks! also you save 50kgs of weight, which contributes to better fuel economy anyways!

but its just soo good! seriously, if i dont drive my car for a few days i get withdrawl symptoms - have to admit ive been out for a drive on a sunday afternoon for no other reason than because i havent been for a drive that day :blush:

Maybe, just maybe... i'll walk into work once a week when the weathers nice. but only when i know i have a nice long drive on the weekend to make up for the lost days driving.

I live 20 miles from work and still cycle on nice days! Even when we drive (I car share), I still have a mile walk either way to get to work from the car.

If I was only a mile theres no way I would be wasting fuel on driving. Walk/cycle during the week and save the fuel for fun trips at the weekend :drive1 Added benefit is you get fitter too.

Ha, my catch is we have just got a puppy :yahoo::yahoo: and he needs letting out on my lunch break, only get half hour so no way I can walk or cycle home and back and have lunch and sort the dog out in that time :(

I guess when he is older and stops shitting in the kitchen he may be able to be left alone throughout the day... here's hoping!

385777_10151175002935714_635800713_22871003_235958992_n.jpg

I live 15 miles from work... so 30 every day... and I'd prob drive it sat/sun anyway.... so in the next 2-3 months when purchased ill go along with this previous comment....

When i bought my zed i gave up any hope of trying to save money. I accepted it was going to cost a lot and dont worry about it anymore. I just jump in and enjoy it, to do otherwise spoils it.

:lol::teeth:

But for a mile.... BIKE IT lol

Really struggling on how you can save money owning a zed here. If your doing 1mile a day to work, then just walk, that will obviously save you petrol money. I do nearly 100 miles a day, so that option isnt there for me. (well it is, but it would probably take me a month to get to work! :lol:)

Insurance... you used to be able to get discount for low mile use of cars. But I think in their greed insurance companies have kinda scrapped that, and it would probably cost you as much as "normal" miles these days.

Only other thing where you could save money is on servicing... do it yourself, which means you`ll save on the £50 an hour or so a decent garage would cost you.