Whump whump whump sound coming from front end

alanmc

Hi lads and lassies,

Lately my 2004 Zed has been exhibiting a "whump whump whump" sound when driving along. It sounds very much like the classic flat tyre sound. Or like a car driving over the segment gaps of a long bridge. A rhythmic "whump" that increases in speed with road speed.

The sound was originally only prevalent when taking corners, but lately it happens in a straight line as well ... and seems to get worse when the car gets warm. The sound doesn't go away when braking, so I'm pretty sure it's not brake related.

The tyres are in good nick. All 4 brake discs were replaced in the last 4 months (with new pads of course).

I've tried the classic wheel shake test to test the bearings and all seems tight. Spinning the wheels by hand don't seem to produce any weird sound either ... but I'm not ruling out bearings.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody?

I'm probably going to bring the car in to Nissan in the next few days because I can't diagnose this sufficiently. But I thought maybe some of you good people might have an idea what it is, or maybe able to suggest some more tests I could perform to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for reading,

Al.

Hi lads and lassies,

Lately my 2004 Zed has been exhibiting a "whump whump whump" sound when driving along. It sounds very much like the classic flat tyre sound. Or like a car driving over the segment gaps of a long bridge. A rhythmic "whump" that increases in speed with road speed.

The sound was originally only prevalent when taking corners, but lately it happens in a straight line as well ... and seems to get worse when the car gets warm. The sound doesn't go away when braking, so I'm pretty sure it's not brake related.

The tyres are in good nick. All 4 brake discs were replaced in the last 4 months (with new pads of course).

I've tried the classic wheel shake test to test the bearings and all seems tight. Spinning the wheels by hand don't seem to produce any weird sound either ... but I'm not ruling out bearings.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybody?

I'm probably going to bring the car in to Nissan in the next few days because I can't diagnose this sufficiently. But I thought maybe some of you good people might have an idea what it is, or maybe able to suggest some more tests I could perform to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for reading,

Al.

I immediately though wheel bearings. Is it coming from one side of the car?

I immediately though wheel bearings. Is it coming from one side of the car?

I want to say the drivers side .... but I think that's just because I'm sitting on that side. I can sort of feel the whump whum throught the steering wheel as well. Very faint though.

Definitely from the wheel? Not a splintered belt in the engine bay?

Definitely not a belt problem. I replaced the Alternator belt a few months ago as well. Besides the rhythm quickens with road speed. If it was a belt, I would have expected it to match engine speed.

Or could be a screw stuck in your tyre.

Now that's a point. This I did not check! Cheers, I'll check that out.

Definitely from the wheel? Not a splintered belt in the engine bay?

Definitely not a belt problem. I replaced the Alternator belt a few months ago as well. Besides the rhythm quickens with road speed. If it was a belt, I would have expected it to match engine speed.

Or could be a screw stuck in your tyre.

Now that's a point. This I did not check! Cheers, I'll check that out.

I've had the screw in tyre problem a few times and I find the best way to spot it is to have someone drive really slowly while you walk alongside and try to see if you can pinpoint at what point the noise occurs. Good luck mate.

I've had the screw in tyre problem a few times and I find the best way to spot it is to have someone drive really slowly while you walk alongside and try to see if you can pinpoint at what point the noise occurs. Good luck mate.

Cheers mate. I'll post back here when I get to the bottom of it. :thumbs:

Sounds like it one of your hankooks may have a bulge on the tread or perhaps developed tread separation.

Get the wheels off and have a good look :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Really? How would this happen? I do indulge in the odd session of spirited driving. But nothing too serious.

Damn, and they're expensive tyres (here anyway) as well. €165 a corner.

Sounds like it one of your hankooks may have a bulge on the tread or perhaps developed tread separation.

Really? How would this happen? I do indulge in the odd session of spirited driving. But nothing too serious.

If the tyre does have a bulge, it's basically a layer delaminating or separating. If a bulge you need to get it sorted immediately. As Alex says get the wheels off to check out.

If you have a lump out of a rim, you'll feel it through the steering wheel and in your seat as the vibration travels.

Regarding tyres in the past I have had vibration simular to wheel out of balance ..eventually I found both front tyres had gone out of round...to the point if you jacked it up and spun the wheel you could easily see it. Tyres wernt that old and had loads of tread life. Maybe worth checking this too?

I know what it is! It's that sarcastic anti-ditchfinder-tyre dwarf who resides in your dashboard shouting at you - the noise is actually 'chump chump chump'!

On the other hand, if it isn't a wheel bearing or tyre bulge it might be a wheel arch liner?

I think this may well be a song by Englebert Humperdinck if memory serves. It begins with the back up singers going whump whump whump whump into their mics while he comes in with “Please release me let me goâ€. Yes Im nearly sure that’s it alright! :lol:

Sorry for not taking this seriously but I’m sat here, lap top on my knee, watching some daft ballet the wife wants to see on TV.

Ho hum----please release me let me go for I don’t love you anymore ---- :wacko:

My old man many many years ago had that happen to a brand spanking new tyre himself - dirty great egg shape started to form but this was in the tyre wall.

My old man many many years ago had that happen to a brand spanking new tyre himself - dirty great egg shape started to form but this was in the tyre wall.

Back in the days when cheapo tyres meant remoulds this happened frequently and quite often in the tread too...Happened to me on the M1 near Northampton, I had to limp along for a couple of miles on the hard shoulder before I came to a service area to change it, bloody great egg right in the middle of the tread :blush:

Pete

I've had the whole tread come loose off the carcase.

You could only see it from the inside as the outer edge was still attached.

You could slip your whole hand under the tread :scare:

Many years ago though, and I think things have moved on a bit, but as Zman said take off the wheels and have a good look!

I'd agree, except mine now knocks over bumps in a straight line, and I'm currently waiting for the part to arrive at Nissan for it to be replaced :)

Didn't know if original poster was getting constant noise or just intermittent thumps......

Given that your other thread helped me out though I'm sure you know better than me :)