M5 Motorway Crash

geoff-r

Sorry to hear about those who died and are injured but why don't people drive to the conditions like we are all taught.

It's people's inability to drive correctly that caused such a horrific crash. I really hope no one here or your families have been affected by this. A very sad day

That looks pretty horrific. :scare:

Driving too close together no doubt. Speed becomes less of an issue if you keep a 'safe zone' around you and a safe distance from the car in front. If the car behind is too close you can still end up in trouble....

As a side note.... Their eye witness is operating his phone while driving by the looks of it. :blush:

hopefully this will make the government think again raising the speed limit to 80mph.

And what difference will that make in this case when you have fog and heavy rain and darkness? There will be the same accidents on the motorway regardless with the odd biggy like this one now and again. I dont drive on the motorway that much but the odd times i have in recent months i can honestly say the standard of driving in general is atrocious :surrender: Poor lane discipline, driving to close to the car infront are the main problems i noticed and people not paying any attention to the driving conditions they find themselves in and chuck in the fact that most cant use indicators or the mirrors in their vehicles i am surprised there are not more accidents on this scale. What is it with Friday's and motorways? every friday afternoon the M6 near me is generally closed for several hours even in good weather between J15 and J20 because of a big accident!! :wacko:

:edit: And forgot the fantastic standard of driving of some foreign lorry drivers using our motorways as well! :headhurt:

I do agree the limit should be raised in general too 80mph but that would not have averted last nights accident. :) Hope not too many people were killed last night or injured in this horrible crash though. :(

That's a shocker! Bit speechless really, "Conditions on the road have been described as "difficult" at the time of the smash."

Feel for the famalies all involved, can't be nice at all :thumbdown:

Driver education isssues again probably!

I know the weather probably played a huge contributing factor but the standards of driving on the motorway is shocking, although I find 70mph to be tedious at times considering it was a limit brought in when your average car would have wobbled up to that speed and struggled to get back down I believe raising it to 80 would cause chaos. There really needs to be proper education, motorway driving should be a compulsory part of learning to drive (possibly incorporated the same way pass plus is once your test has been passed). It's amazing you can pass a test without using a motorway, utter madness.

As mentioned the fact that general driving ability is so shockingly poor, there has to be better driver training made compulsory.

Also if they can make speed cameras so effectively, why can't they develop a camera that can capture drivers who do not follow the 'two second' and instead sit a meter off the bumper of the driver in front. Surely it cannot be that hard to implement and enforce. And while its not going to avoid all crashes it would surely help avoid a lot of them. The countless times I've seen hold-ups and crashes caused by people sitting so close to others that they don't have time to brake or when they do they slam them on causing others to crash.

Very sad to hear this news, I feel sorry for all those injured and the friends and families of those involved.

I'm staying at a hotel right next to J25. Police and ambulance were around ready to use the hotel for those caught up in it if needed.

Heard a loud boom last night and thought it was a big firework, but soon found out that it was more likely something exploding as it was right at the time the crash happened...

I'm no accident investigator, but the crash was right next to the slip road on to the M5, its my guess is that someone joined the motorway and some evasive action had to be taken resulting in the trucks jack-knifing.

It's an uphill slip road and two lanes merge into one before joining the main carriageway. It was a bit foggy and the road was wet but it wasn't raining at the time. Also there was a lot of traffic due to Bridgwater carnival. Its not a good junction at the best of times.

Was a terrible accident and my thoughts go out to those affected

So they are investigating the M5 motorway crash and think smoke from a fireworks display is to blame.....

Sorry, this maybe didn't help but if the cars were driving at an appropriate speed for the smoke and at a safe distance then surely this would never have happened?

So they are investigating the M5 motorway crash and think smoke from a fireworks display is to blame.....

Sorry, this maybe didn't help but if the cars were driving at an appropriate speed for the smoke and at a safe distance then surely this would never have happened?

If it was the smoke from fireworks it wouldn't have been a mile thick so you can't blame people not driving at an inappropriate speed. Maybe it was people slowing down suddenly after hitting a surprise section of smoke and a concertina affect happened with some not slowing as much as the traffic in front? You wouldn't see smoke at night until you are right up to it.

Speed becomes less of an issue if you keep a 'safe zone' around you and a safe distance from the car in front. If the car behind is too close you can still end up in trouble....

Yeah, I'm famous for the gaps I leave and don't get too concerned if someone starts tailgating me....some years ago I was behind a seven car pileup on a humpback bridge on my way to work in the dark, saw the brake lights come on in front of me and gradually slowed down as there was someone right on my bumper, he backed off when I slowed down and was promptly rear ended by the next car in the chain, luckily he didn't get pushed into me.

There seem to be conflicting views if this was fog or smoke, one motorist has said it was definitely fog. If it was firework smoke then I can't see how you can lay the blame the organisers as they had permission and nothing like this has happened in the 50 years that the U.K has had Motorways.

Pete