Times when you just wish you had a Z...

AMT

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8secs?... :sly: that must be a joke...I really hope not.m It'd mean its not much fast than my Hyundai coupe to 60.. lol A celica will do 7... also seen this. If a 350Z was near 7 secs that would be a disaster. Fair nuff you need to get it just right for manufacture claims, but it should still be doing it in 6secs dead'ish with an average joe. :shrug: ...surely.

Not done a proper 0-60 in mine...

Did semi-proper one... but only using the BMW M Power meter... Ended up with 8.44s. I must just be driving like a grandad... either that or mine is so old it had lost more horses than everyone elses :D

Has only done a "real" 0-60 in theirs? pre-06 and post-06? :shrug:

But jesus the tax and insurance jumps so high... all because of 20bhp :dry: .. grr.

Not just 20 bhp

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... mbers.html

I have gone from a DE (276 bhp) to a HR (313bhp) engine, I would never go back. You also get 1000 more revs to play with as well.

In my humble opinion, save/wait for the HR.

The Half-way house is to do what i did, and use the money you'd spend on an HR to get a nice DE and spend a few grand tuning it. Admittedly it's still only 307bhp instead of 313, but the torque delivery is now in another league, and you get the soundtrack of the Milltek/Berks combo as well which more than makes up for the 6bhp :cloud9:

DB

At the end of the day, any hot hatch is tainted by the fact its based on a mundane hatchback.

A Focus ST is, at the end of the day, a Ford Focus. :yawn:

A Civic Type R is... well, its a Honda Civic. :disguise:

and an Astra VXR is... lets be honest, an Astra. :yuck:

Anyone can make a fast car by whacking a turbo on it - thats Fast and furious 101. however, a zed does it properly - a naturally aspirated silky smooth, torquey V6, driving the rear wheels of a 2 seater sports car. :thumbs::yahoo::#1::clap::cloud9:

Not done a proper 0-60 in mine...

Did semi-proper one... but only using the BMW M Power meter... Ended up with 8.44s. I must just be driving like a grandad... either that or mine is so old it had lost more horses than everyone elses :D

Has only done a "real" 0-60 in theirs? pre-06 and post-06? :shrug:

Haven't timed mine but might have a go tomorrow, pretty sure its not 8 seconds though :scare:

At the end of the day, any hot hatch is tainted by the fact its based on a mundane hatchback.

A Focus ST is, at the end of the day, a Ford Focus. :yawn:

A Civic Type R is... well, its a Honda Civic. :disguise:

and an Astra VXR is... lets be honest, an Astra. :yuck:

Anyone can make a fast car by whacking a turbo on it - thats Fast and furious 101. however, a zed does it properly - a naturally aspirated silky smooth, torquey V6, driving the rear wheels of a 2 seater sports car. :thumbs::yahoo::#1::clap::cloud9:

...what he said :thumbs:

And that is why you will get comments about the Zed when a 300bhp Focus ST sits unnoticed behind you...unless its Iains orange 'Asbo' focus :lol:

But jesus the tax and insurance jumps so high... all because of 20bhp :dry: .. grr.

Not just 20 bhp

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... mbers.html

I have gone from a DE (276 bhp) to a HR (313bhp) engine, I would never go back. You also get 1000 more revs to play with as well.

In my humble opinion, save/wait for the HR.

The Half-way house is to do what i did, and use the money you'd spend on an HR to get a nice DE and spend a few grand tuning it. Admittedly it's still only 307bhp instead of 313, but the torque delivery is now in another league, and you get the soundtrack of the Milltek/Berks combo as well which more than makes up for the 6bhp :cloud9:

DB

It's true - i got my 53 plate DE sorted with a plenum, intake, exhaust and UpRev. It ran as quick-as-dammit as my newer HR Zed does.

Make sure your Zed has lighter alloys (RAYS) or the 19" Nismo's and you reduce corner weight. Get the suspension lowered slightly with some Tein S or similar and the Zed is a weapon around corners etc, and will happily accelerate smoothly thru to the redline on a straight.

So to recap:

DE with mods

HR

or a 370z :teeth:

I think they are your options in terms of power lol

The second time someones mentioned 8!! :blink: C'mon! lol Its not that hard to pull off a time without wrecking your clutch, 8... omg no, I won't accept that lol :p Yep if anyone can give it a bash, would be greatful.. don't go mental and break something for the sake of a question though lol... as its not that hard...stop... use a stopwatch on your fone for an approx time.. (preferribly with a passenger for safety lol) and go... Just ease out the clutch quickly but smoothly, might knock a few tenths but not that bad, done it in a good few cars. I've cracked 9 in mine...which is 3tenths better than claimed...and if your near that... be ashamed :p It's not all about being a C**k but for a car like this you would expect nothing less (Let me know how you get on! And thanks! Put some faith in the Z... :)

I said this to Will the other day, the best of the Zed performance lies outside of legal road speed limits :lol:

The Zed is quick, its quicker than 90% of cars on the road. It gives you a fair load of grunt compared to most cars - it's got a 3.5litre V6 in it. It looks fantastic and has exclusivity. If you really want to beat the kids away from the lights buy a cheaper version and bolt a supercharger on....take it from an Essex boy who has owned various Fords over the years, that there is nothing more satisfying that sitting in your Zed and having some chavved up Ford or Vauxhall want to race you then letting them tear off down the road and you just cruising - I can't explain it but it definitely puts you one up. The only times I put peddle to metal is when I am on my own and I am doing it because I want to, not because some 17 year old wants to show off to the giggling girls in the back.

To be frank if you are after beating your 17yr old friends in a maccy d's car park drag race, there are better options than the zed, especially when you consider the potential to buy cheap & easy-to-tune light cars. I have a boyracermeter way of evaluating a car's ownership profile which includes going to said car's owners' club forum, taking the top 50 threads and tallying up the number of "0-60", "quarter-mile", "how far do your wheels stick out", "how to chop your springs & roll your arches", "best sticky tape for holding your rear bumper in place" & "guide on how to drill holes & hang your massive exhaust on a piece of string" threads as a proportion.

You'll find that stuff like VXRs and suchlike have a boyracermeter score of around 80% compared to somewhere around 2-4% for something like an Aston Martin/Classic Car club. Says it all really.

Do you really want one? It's your money and it's your choice but I think you will be dissapointed.

The second time someones mentioned 8!! :blink: C'mon! lol Its not that hard to pull off a time without wrecking your clutch, 8... omg no, I won't accept that lol :p Yep if anyone can give it a bash, would be greatful.. don't go mental and break something for the sake of a question though lol... as its not that hard...stop... use a stopwatch on your fone for an approx time.. (preferribly with a passenger for safety lol) and go... Just ease out the clutch quickly but smoothly, might knock a few tenths but not that bad, done it in a good few cars. I've cracked 9 in mine...which is 3tenths better than claimed...and if your near that... be ashamed :p It's not all about being a C**k but for a car like this you would expect nothing less (Let me know how you get on! And thanks! Put some faith in the Z... :)

Haha this is turning out to be a very! interesting read :D

As for the £500, driving it every day round town tip of trips . id do 180 miles to Bristol twice a once or twice a month where id see about 28mpg maybe 30. but those trips were etc money on top of the 500. ive spoke to a good handle full of people who were spending around the same :) they only get 15-18 round town.

Great car! really is would defo have another. but for me would want it turbo'd I personally think it is not fast enough for the way it looks :)

Good luck in deciding whats right for you :thumbs:

I've prob not worded or hard to explain but I think coldel has got it for me, hes in the area of my thought. NO... I do not want to race kids at lights... I would.. indeed, let them fly off and cruise on down, knowing I'm in the..better car B) But just general overtaking, grunt...the odd time when a ...**** of a BMW, Audi driver wants to sit on your tail.lol I have test drove a couple and put the foot down, it was fast enough, but that short time doesn't give me an idea of real situation performance. you don't buy a car like this not to use it once in a while (DO YOU... :sly: )... a blast down forth roads to moffat etc (if your around here) is stunning on a nice day. I just want to make sure it GOES for the insurance im gonna pay on it and that it is gonna be worth while. You all have one I'm, after your experience... (its slow...does not help, useful but somehow I think thats a lie lol). I'm, thinking... waterproof watch... you'll never take it to its limit, but its nice to know it can perform when needed... prob quoted topgear i think there, my mind sets off an alarm with it .

The Zed is quick, its quicker than 90% of cars on the road

Thats all I wanted to hear plus a little bit of detail ;)

30-100 will show you how the car actually works when you want it to

So... does it do it well then? :p

Beast of a thread this lol.

The liners in the Focus are well known for cracking over 300bhp. The forge intercooler is a nice piece of kit and we have fitted loads. I am guessing your on 444 injectors too? :thumbs:

I have had both and still have the ST

350ZLASTEVER042.jpg

How she looks now.

114.jpg

Mine is running 309BHP with 425lb/ft, Although its more now as i have fitted a forge actuator with yellow spring and a forge recirculation valve, so prob close to 330BHP with 460lb/ft.

Its a rapid machine, but with being 2wd it does struggle a little off the line but when you are going its amazing what you can leave for dead.

Very cheap to mod, gone from 225BHP to 309BHP for under 2k, which would cost you about 12k in the Z to get 80BHP, I miss my 350 dearly but the modded ST is a more than capable of the same thrills.

Next mod is an uprated Clutch, LSD and then I will be able to put the power down. Will be looking for some Brembos at some point too. When i win the lottery!

Most people won't sit on your tail ad the 350 looks like a sports car. Where as in my Clio they get a shock when hit the 70zone. Test drive one see what you think.

I've prob not worded or hard to explain but I think coldel has got it for me, hes in the area of my thought. NO... I do not want to race kids at lights... I would.. indeed, let them fly off and cruise on down, knowing I'm in the..better car B) But just general overtaking, grunt...the odd time when a ...**** of a BMW, Audi driver wants to sit on your tail.lol I have test drove a couple and put the foot down, it was fast enough, but that short time doesn't give me an idea of real situation performance. you don't buy a car like this not to use it once in a while (DO YOU... :sly: )... a blast down forth roads to moffat etc (if your around here) is stunning on a nice day. I just want to make sure it GOES for the insurance im gonna pay on it and that it is gonna be worth while. You all have one I'm, after your experience... (its slow...does not help, useful but somehow I think thats a lie lol). I'm, thinking... waterproof watch... you'll never take it to its limit, but its nice to know it can perform when needed... prob quoted topgear i think there, my mind sets off an alarm with it .

The Zed is quick, its quicker than 90% of cars on the road

Thats all I wanted to hear plus a little bit of detail ;)

30-100 will show you how the car actually works when you want it to

So... does it do it well then? :p

Beast of a thread this lol.

I've got a feeling when I get one, people will sit on my tail lol Despite having a Hyundai Coupe (even sounds like a hoover when you say doesn't it?) cos' its a classy lookin' old girl people sit on my tail quite a lot actually :dry: Some of them don't realise they could nuke my weedy 2.0L into the woods lol. Always wondered why some people chose to move over (and no its not cos I sat on their tail). They do look a bit lower and wider than they are when viewed through a rear view mirror. I also took it to a bentley garage once when looking at a TT (don't worry it was a depressing time in my life :p ) and the guy thought it was rear wheel drive and had over 200bhp... I laughed... obviously lol. I'm buying the Z mainly for the look and sound, but I want to have a ..what I call "peak" car in my life while im still young'ish, so I want the pace a bit. After this I won't get anything faster, unless I win the lotto... although after it the 370's prob be down in price after a good few year hehe B)

I honestly thank you though for ALL the replies, everyone on this has been awesome, helpful and honest in their opinions, which helps me get by the head vs heart thing. Heart wins obviously... you can charge all you want tax man, insurance man ..or woman ;) and I'll still pay it to make sure I'm not driving a 1.whatever corsa, astra, focus, 3series, A4...etc (although i like A4s...lol).

Ta much :thumbs:

Keep me posted if you do decide to time a 60 though... what?.... :D

The liners in the Focus are well known for cracking over 300bhp. The forge intercooler is a nice piece of kit and we have fitted loads. I am guessing your on 444 injectors too? :thumbs:

Yes lee, im running the RS Injectors with map to suit from Jamsport, as for the liners, I have done everything i can to stop the chances of cracking the liners. I fitted an oil cooler and the intercooler, RS injectors. Fingers crossed. It is really something else to drive, the Zed was a quality build and had an immense engine, but for me was unpractical as We are due the 3rd baby in the next few days, wanted something quick and i like to be noticed,lol. You do quite a bit on the ST's then?

As someone said, 30-70 (well 100) is where it really matters, 0-60 is nothing and pretty pointless.

Without being a c*nt, I find it really hard to read what you posting AMT. The only way I can read it, is that your frantically typing into your keyboard trying to complete the post as fast as you can as your so excited about getting a Z but upset that your not hearing all the answers you wanted :blink:

End of the day, go test drive one. If you like it, buy it.

Everyone's experiences are different in life, some people prefer different things and have different perceptions.

AMT250 M350ZB....... Not that much difference! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

In all honesty, go drive one. It all very well us sitting here telling you it's great (we are an owners club so we will) but until you actually get behind the wheel will you know if it's for you or not. It's linear, not thump in the back and it's a GT car rather than a proper sports car.

My advice is to go and test one out to answer your own questions.

As for being quick enough to pull away from motorway tailgaters...... it's a 3.5 V6 with on average 300bhp. If you're in the right gear you'll lose them (and your license) quickly. If it's someone in a quicker car that's ready then you wont. Simple as that.

I agree whole heartedly with Dan (Ekona) about 0-60 times. I hate them being used in an argument. Load of rubbish. In gear times or like he says 30-100 is far more important to me. The Zed performs brilliantly in gear as this is linked far more to torque. My pick-up will smoke a little corsa with a boyracer behind the wheel if I'm rolling, Standing start a G Whiz would thrash me.

I agree with CMR, in the nicest possible way it's boy racer talk - you have to be if you really care what Focus ST drivers think about you on the road. It's scary that Zed's are so accessible, I can see the attraction when the alternatives are hot hatches.