The Apple Thread

Ekona

Anyone here got any opinioins on the iPad2...

Im looking at bringing one back from New York next month, however i've been sat thinking about what i'd actually use it for.

The top 2 uses are going to be watching movies/tv show's that i've downloaded from the net on my laptop (I have about 1TB of movies/shows), and watching and editing video's i've recorded on my camcorder.

It struck me that the iPad obviously doesnt have USB so i'll need to convert/sync everything i want to watch to get it on there, which is going to be a complete waste of time... therefore a different tab with USB and .avi support might be the way to go... but then they're just not an iPad. :thumbdown:

...not sure what to do. :shrug:

If you want to do actual work, why not just take your 500 sheets and get a laptop?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do actual work, why not just take your 500 sheets and get a laptop?

I've got a laptop... i want a tablet for if im travelling on the train for work, or for watching a tv show in the bathroom when im shaving my head/having a shave etc... :lol:

...and the video editing would just be a bonus, as my laptop's 4 years old now so is a bit on the slow side...

They're f*cking sh*t. If you want a tablet, get an iPad. The others are pure evil and I hate my Galaxy Tab as much as I hate things like chavved up riceboxes, mixed tyres and damp farts in packed lifts. I miss my iPad so much but the missus won't give it back to me now. :(

Been having the iPad vs 'other' tablet discussion with a friend, he just bought an iPad2 im looking as an asus epad.

Fair enough he has an iPhone, Apple TV and an Air Book, but almost twice the price of the tablet im looking at?

I only want it for surfing when the missus is watching Emmerdale, i use a laptop now but it melts my plums :blush:

I've got a laptop... i want a tablet for if im travelling on the train for work

I'm commuting into London at the moment and there's so many idiots on the train waving iPads around. You'll spend more time re-coding downloaded video than watching it, then have to watch widescreen video letterboxed. Meanwhile I can comfortably watch 720p videos full-screen on my ancient HTC Desire.

Combine this with a 32GB card and you've got a 5 inch player you can drop 40GB of video onto for £200: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Wifi-Inch-Player/dp/B005BD5BG4/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

When my friend upgraded iOS it lost all her contacts and used her data allowance in hours.

Same thing happened to my missus`s iphone. We fixed it in the end by turning off icloud sync and "restoring" the phone twice.

Been having the iPad vs 'other' tablet discussion with a friend, he just bought an iPad2 im looking as an asus epad.

Fair enough he has an iPhone, Apple TV and an Air Book, but almost twice the price of the tablet im looking at?

I only want it for surfing when the missus is watching Emmerdale, i use a laptop now but it melts my plums :blush:

I bought a acer aspire netbook earlier in the year for exactly this. It cost me £200 all in, has dual core processor, huge hard drive and 2gb ram. I find myself using it more than my desktop or my top of the range sony laptop. It boots in about 2 seconds, is surprisingly fast, I can watch tv shows on it an surf whilst the missus is watching Glee or Eastenders and cos its got a proper keyboard I can do emails and work etc if needbe. Battery lasts about 12 hours, it weighs next to nothing and is ideal on the train etc.

The iPad responds exactly when you touch it, and exactly where you touched it. I have to second guess my Galaxy Tab every single time, as well as wait for it to have a cup of tea before it decides to respond or not. It's the exact same issue I have with all Android touchscreen stuff, their screen and tech just simply isn't a patch on Apple, regardless of how much more you can theoretically do with it.

That said, pop into a shop and try them both out, you may find the trade-off in price worth it. I'm probably going to flog my Galaxy Tab cheap soon anyway because I can't be doing with it any more.

The iPad responds exactly when you touch it, and exactly where you touched it. I have to second guess my Galaxy Tab every single time, as well as wait for it to have a cup of tea before it decides to respond or not. It's the exact same issue I have with all Android touchscreen stuff, their screen and tech just simply isn't a patch on Apple, regardless of how much more you can theoretically do with it.

That said, pop into a shop and try them both out, you may find the trade-off in price worth it. I'm probably going to flog my Galaxy Tab cheap soon anyway because I can't be doing with it any more.

This is my biggest concern. If the UI really is that @*!# on all but the ipad then the ipad is the only way to go... but then the ipad doesnt do what i want it to do.... so the answer must be to not get any of them then. :wacko:

If the UI really is that @*!# on all but the ipad then the ipad is the only way to go...

Claims that "all Android touchscreen stuff" is non-responsive are of course utter garbage... I guess swishing a static grid of icons backwards and forwards gives some people a boner :wacko:

Sure the Android UI and scrolling aren't quite as smoothly animated, but for major functionality like browsing it can match Apple's latest and greatest:

41360.png

41770.png

If the UI really is that @*!# on all but the ipad then the ipad is the only way to go...

Claims that "all Android touchscreen stuff" is non-responsive are of course utter garbage... I guess swishing a static grid of icons backwards and forwards gives some people a boner :wacko:

Sure the Android UI and scrolling aren't quite as smoothly animated, but for major functionality like browsing it can match Apple's latest and greatest:

So basically you're agreeing with me then? The screens aren't as smoothly animated and they simply aren't as responsive, but they do just as much if not more. If that's what you want then an Android tablet is clearly the way forward, but for the vast majority who aren't as tech savvy and don't need the faff then the iPad seems the better buy to me.

Glad that I grabbed VLC Player for iOS when I did.

Shame they took it off the Apps list cos its really handy for .avi files without the need to convert them

Do you have to convert video files to a certain format for them to work on the iOS then? Doesnt it play stuff like divx and xvid as standard? Handy to know as the missus is on about putting Glee on her iphone. (sigh!)

The screens aren't as smoothly animated and they simply aren't as responsive, but they do just as much if not more.

Instant and perfectly smooth scrolling/zooming are certainly nice to have but not exclusive Apple tech... It's simply hardware acceleration and Windows Phone 7 has it too. Animations and zooming easily match iOS despite a feeble 2 year old processor.

Android has to support a huge range of GPUs from many manufacturers so hardware acceleration is difficult but things are supposed to be improving with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Android has to support a huge range of GPUs from many manufacturers so hardware acceleration is difficult but things are supposed to be improving with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

The bigger issue will be that phone manufacturers arent writing good enough drivers for it, I doubt its Andriods fault too much. They'll get there eventually, look at how Windows has progressed on the UI front. It will seemingly always lag behind Apple though as they have very tight coupling of the hardware and software. Not something easily achieved by OS's that support multiple hardware configs. Google may make this better now they have a phone manufacturer in their pocket though ;)

Glad that I grabbed VLC Player for iOS when I did.

Shame they took it off the Apps list cos its really handy for .avi files without the need to convert them

Do you have to convert video files to a certain format for them to work on the iOS then? Doesnt it play stuff like divx and xvid as standard? Handy to know as the missus is on about putting Glee on her iphone. (sigh!)

If you have them in mp4 format then it will work with apple iOS, any other format will need to be converted.

The VLC player does play .avi and .mkv files without needing to convert

The bigger issue will be that phone manufacturers arent writing good enough drivers for it, I doubt its Andriods fault too much.

The drivers are written by the GPU vendors but until now most Android apps couldn't take advantage of the hardware. Android 4.0 requires hardware acceleration and looks pretty snappy to me (@1:30-2:00) if not quite up there with iOS and WP7:

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would add to this thread...

I've found an App today that seems to let you play almost any video format. It's called Ace Player and you transfer videos to it via iTunes (in a really simple manner - not your usual itunes shite).

I've tried it with a couple of episodes of the sopranos in .avi format and it works a treat. :thumbs:

Oh, and last night i found out that my Dad's bought me an iPad as im staying with him in New York over christmas :yahoo: (First present i've EVER had off my Dad, before you all call me a spoiled brat :lol::blush: )

• 1 month later...

Looks like its for females only, well at least for the sitting down part...

I know it’s a bit puerile, but I thought it was funny, and quite nice to look at, as far as bogs are concerned :lol:

Also the name of it sounds a bit like the Quicky Mart owner from the Simpsons :dry: