The Apple Thread

Ekona

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siri is rubbish.

You know the really cool search feature where you can ask it if there's any good restaurants/Apple stores/sex parlours nearby? Only works in the US. Thanks for telling us that, Apple. :thumbdown: Sending texts via Siri is also very hit and miss, although I did confuse it by asking it to wipe my bottom for me :lol:

Got it :D

Just setting it up now. Tell you what though, I will definitely do another launch again, it was brilliant! I was number 7 in the queue after getting there at approx 6:40am for an 8am open, and I got chatting with another 4 or 5 chaps and we just had a right laugh over the whole thing, especially when the lady who was at the front of the queue (and had been since 5am) was clearly having difficulties getting her new phone. They only let 3 people in at once so while we were standing outside we could see but not hear what was going on, and this woman was getting more and more irate over the whole thing. 30 mins later they finally gave up and she left empty-handed, not looking particularly pleased :lol:

Definitely worth doing, it's a right geek-fest but all the more fun for it. Got free breakfast muffins and OJ too, which was nice.

+1 although i was number 1 lol :#1:

Just back in from a walk down the high street, and couldn't believe the line of people outside O2, waiting for the new Iphone. I have to say though, I do despair, as most of them (and I'm putting this as PC as possible), don't look like they have taken a day off work to get it. Lots of Chantelle's, Chardonays, caps and about 10 grands worth of Sports Direct merchandise. :rant::rant::rant:

Just back in from a walk down the high street, and couldn't believe the line of people outside O2, waiting for the new Iphone. I have to say though, I do despair, as most of them (and I'm putting this as PC as possible), don't look like they have taken a day off work to get it. Lots of Chantelle's, Chardonays, caps and about 10 grands worth of Sports Direct merchandise. :rant::rant::rant:

haha as it was a mid-night even I was casually dressed in my gym gear also haha. We looked like scumbags, so dont judge a book by a cover as you may find these people got up in middle of night, fired clothes on and went down to wait.

I got home from work last night and the missus couldnt wait to tell me excitedly about all the new features iOS5 has bought to her phone.

Conversation went something like:

Her: "It has a Friend finder - you can see where all your friends are on a map"

Me: "oh, you mean like Google Lattitude which came out a few years back does"

Her: "I can sync photos with the cloud"

Me: "Like google picasa / photos does?"

Her: "If I send emails via the icloud it stores them in the cloud so I can log into cloud and see them"

Me: "gmail?"

Her: "Theres a notification bar, you can pull it down to see things"

Me: "You mean like android does?"

Her: "I can wirelessly sync now"

Me: "Android..."

etc. etc.....

Have to say that these things are an improvement over the old iphone software and for someone like my missus who didnt know these things were already out there & being used for years, you would be really impressed with them!

Personally I think Apple are being quite cheeky, trying to sue Google / Android phone manufactorers for "stealing" their ideas when Apple is clearly doin the same!

I checked the 02 website for stock status before I left to go to the shop, and found that the H/Pool store has sold out of everything except the black 16gb, which isnt the one I want.

Oh well, will have to wait till they restock.

I got home from work last night and the missus couldnt wait to tell me excitedly about all the new features iOS5 has bought to her phone.

Conversation went something like:

Her: "It has a Friend finder - you can see where all your friends are on a map"

Me: "oh, you mean like Google Lattitude which came out a few years back does"

Her: "I can sync photos with the cloud"

Me: "Like google picasa / photos does?"

Her: "If I send emails via the icloud it stores them in the cloud so I can log into cloud and see them"

Me: "gmail?"

Her: "Theres a notification bar, you can pull it down to see things"

Me: "You mean like android does?"

Her: "I can wirelessly sync now"

Me: "Android..."

etc. etc.....

+1

I am now an android bitch. I'm wobbling on going to the Galaxy SII. Looks lovely!

Have to say that these things are an improvement over the old iphone software and for someone like my missus who didnt know these things were already out there & being used for years, you would be really impressed with them!

Personally I think Apple are being quite cheeky, trying to sue Google / Android phone manufactorers for "stealing" their ideas when Apple is clearly doin the same!

[mod]

I checked the 02 website for stock status before I left to go to the shop, and found that the H/Pool store has sold out of everything except the black 16gb, which isnt the one I want.

Talking to the other chaps in the queue, it looked like everyone wanted a white one. I went for a black 32GB in the end myself.

Talking to the other chaps in the queue, it looked like everyone wanted a white one. I went for a black 32GB in the end myself.

Yeah, I want black 32gb too.

I'll leave it till Monday now and hope they are re-stocked by then.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting an 4S today.

and I am immedietly annoyed with it.

Apple, why on Earth have you removed the option to toggle 3G on/off?!

When at work I am in an iffy area for signal, so when making a call on 1bar of 3G the call is garbled and crap. Switching it off and going to 2G works fine though.

And my flat is one of those places that 3G is iffy. Which means my phone says I have 2 bar of 3G signal, but people can try to call or text me and cant get through. Again, switching to 2G makes it work.

ARGH!

Welcome to the 21st century :p

To be fair to both them and you it wouldn't have hurt to leave it in, but then technology does need to move forward at some point.

No problem with tech moving forward, but I would prefer it if the 3G network coverage was half decent before they moved forward

My missus got her 4s about 2 weeks back now. So far she finding that she isnt really using any of the new 4s features. Siri seems very limited unless you are in the US. Unlike vlingo on android, apple dont like tying in things with google, so if you ask it to find nearest pub etc.. it just says "sorry, only avaliable in the US". She does use the front camera sometimes to check her make-up... :lol:

And she has also noticed a problem recently where the phone suddenly gets red hot and the battery drops from full to nearly empty in the space of a few hours. It seems to happen randomly. Some days its fine, others it does it. I have read of a known bug in iOS5 which is relating to the battery, so it may be that.

All in all as an apple worshiper, she`s very pleased with it, and having used it myself comparing it against her old 3gs the difference is extremely noticeable between them. The display on the 4s is so much sharper, the notification bar is great, the menus seem so much quicker etc. Its definitely a marked increase for old iphone 3gs users.

But, comparing it against my 12 month old Galaxy s2, there is nothing I can see which the iphone 4s does better, and those items on the 4s which i like over the 3gs are stuff which the s2 already has. So its not good that the latest iphone which took them 18months to develop is struggling to better a 12 months old samsung phone. You would have expected a new phone to blow all the competitors out of the water.

My missus is just hoping that apple will release a patch for the battery problem as until then she has to carry her charger around with her.

My missus got it on a 99quid for phone, 36quid a month 2 year tariff, which seemed one of the best deals she could find at the time - she spent ages comparing all the providers. Comparing that against the s2 - free phone, £25 a month for 18 months... I really couldn't justify that extra cost.

My missus is just hoping that apple will release a patch for the battery problem as until then she has to carry her charger around with her.

Under Settings > Location Services > System Services > Turn off "Setting Time Zone"

It seemed to me (and backed up by reports on the net) that its using Location Services to set the time zone all the time. I could tell as the little icon lit up all the time when you turn on "Status Bar Icon" in the same menu ;)

Oh, well looky here - hate to say "I told you so" - but ho hum :lol:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclus ... =mncol;txt

Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.

No problem with tech moving forward, but I would prefer it if the 3G network coverage was half decent before they moved forward

3G in the UK uses a higher frequency (2,100 MHz) that doesn't travel as far or penetrate through walls as well as lower 2G frequencies. In most areas 3G reception is as good as it'll ever get. Despite the "Apple-knows-best" spin, 2G isn't going anywhere and is the best option when you're indoors, far away from a cell tower, or want the best standby time.

When my friend upgraded iOS it lost all her contacts and used her data allowance in hours. A "genius" gave up trying to fix it and had to replace the entire phone, now the replacement has a dodgy volume button... Despite being a huge iPhone fan she accepts Apple is now more interested in profits than producing hardware or software that lives up to expectations, let alone exceeds them. Even her colleague (an iOS developer) is defecting to a Nokia Windows phone.

Anyone here got any opinioins on the iPad2...

Im looking at bringing one back from New York next month, however i've been sat thinking about what i'd actually use it for.

The top 2 uses are going to be watching movies/tv show's that i've downloaded from the net on my laptop (I have about 1TB of movies/shows), and watching and editing video's i've recorded on my camcorder.

It struck me that the iPad obviously doesnt have USB so i'll need to convert/sync everything i want to watch to get it on there, which is going to be a complete waste of time... therefore a different tab with USB and .avi support might be the way to go... but then they're just not an iPad. :thumbdown:

...not sure what to do. :shrug: