Project Zee Business - Update 25th July

Keyser

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found a few bits that needed sorting out this week and started the strip down on the engine.

Had a few bolts sheer on the way out - to be expected on a 2003 car really,

Strip62.jpg

A Vice and a lot of swearing later

Strip63.jpg

Gotta find someone that can repair this - See what happens when you lower your car!!

Strip60-1.jpg

Have done as much as I can on the car until next week as the Zedshed has a visitor on Sunday and mine will need to be pushed out.

Strip61.jpg

Onto the engine then - gearbox first

Strip68.jpg

Strip69.jpg

I did think the clutch may just be starting to go

Strip65.jpg

Strip66.jpg

More to follow,

That's all folks.......................

Looking good mate. Why not go for a replacement y pipe such as motordyne, high flowing and you can even bung in a race cat and shove in decats. An option? (not sure what exhaust mods were on in the first place?)

Yup nvidia dual on her at the moment I have Decats on at the moment and a set of Berks HFC waiting as an option ;)

We have a local sports shop that may be able to weld in a replacement .... yes its leaking :dry:

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Chris, I have the Invidia G200 true dual on mine, I had one flexi pipe replaced in july because it started blowing, and the other one last month because that one went soon after so get them both done mate.

I cut the old ones out with an angle grinder, bought new ones from my local motor factor for about 20 quid each and got a mate to weld them in. Jobs a good'n.

:thumbs:

Sounds like they are quite fragile then, I've seen standard Y-pipe in far worse condition that wasnt blowing. I'm guessing the outer isnt as solid as standard or the inner is very thin? Could always replce it with no flexi straight pipe then you wont have the problem ;)

Sounds like they are quite fragile then, I've seen standard Y-pipe in far worse condition that wasnt blowing. I'm guessing the outer isnt as solid as standard or the inner is very thin? Could always replce it with no flexi straight pipe then you wont have the problem ;)

only if you scrape them to the ground, both them lads have their car lowered. My guess is that if you dont scrape them they stay alive a good bit longer. Also the lads are running boost so not sure how well they're ment to without over pressure. B)

only if you scrape them to the ground, both them lads have their car lowered. My guess is that if you dont scrape them they stay alive a good bit longer. Also the lads are running boost so not sure how well they're ment to without over pressure. B)

I had new flexis on my nismo y-pipe less than 2k miles ago. It gets used as a bump guard to warn me when i'm close to the ground(usually on worn edge roads) Bit of a nightmare but we have to deal with it when lowered. Mines are looking rough already but as long as the internals hold up, that all i'm caring about lol

Mine doesn't hit the floor. The braiding stays intact but the thin inner pipe cracked. They were 6 years old though.

I think the problem with our set up is that the exhaust only has support at the back box, then when you decat and remove the stock cat bracket too, there is a lot of stress on the flexi joints through weight and twisting. It could do with a bracket on the mid pipes really. I'm sure the fact we are boosted makes a difference as well as the extra heat and pressure would cause a blow much sooner.

I definitely wouldn't take the flexi pipe out and put in a solid pipe as the stress then goes to the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets and you defiantly don't want a leak there as it would be a nightmare find and fix.

I'm happy to change them every few years, it's not the end of the world.

Made a little more progress this weekend, We only did Saturday afternoon as waltzinblack was down Sunday and another slight delay .... read on.

So around Saturday lunchtime this character made an appearance!!!

SCENGSTRIP1.jpg

Who assisted in the pushing out of my somewhat naked Zed

SCENGSTRIP2.jpg

After that things got better Buster grabbed a brush ..... not saying he did anything except grab a brush :lol:

SCENGSTRIP3.jpg

As soon as the Zedshed was clean I went to make the coffee and this happened -

SCENGSTRIP4.jpg

He just can't keep the Ginger Ninja out of this place :)

Then some fun - we got to play with the engines, moved most parts from the old engine to the new-

SCENGSTRIP5.jpg

SCENGSTRIP6.jpg

SCENGSTRIP7.jpg

Buster snapping more bolts :p

SCENGSTRIP8.jpg

SCENGSTRIP9.jpg

SCENGSTRIP10.jpg

I did some of it honest!!

SCENGSTRIP11.jpg

I'll leave you with this nothing to do with the build it's just a good representation of my garden at a weekend :lol:

SCENGSTRIP12.jpg

That's all folks .............

I had new flexis on my nismo y-pipe less than 2k miles ago. It gets used as a bump guard to warn me when i'm close to the ground(usually on worn edge roads) Bit of a nightmare but we have to deal with it when lowered. Mines are looking rough already but as long as the internals hold up, that all i'm caring about lol

Agreed - when I bought my Nismo from AdrianK the flexi looked absolutely knackered, but it didnt blow. His car was rather low and scraped everywhere. I'm guessing its more boost related or rather extra heat that has killed the flexi quicker as the flexi in the pic doesnt look bad at all.

Evening all,

Well after the deluge of requests that you have inundated me with to keep you all updated

Which is to date is none :lol:

I thought stuff it I'll post some more pics anyway.

So got her back up in the air -

EngB7.jpg

Took some more bits out

EngB3.jpg

EngB4.jpg

Getting close now :)

EngB1.jpg

EngB2.jpg

Couple of replacement parts have arrived

Clean1.jpg

Clean2.jpg

Thought I'd start cleaning up some bits in the evenings -

Before -

Clean3.jpg

After -

Clean4.jpg

APS Sump before -

Clean5.jpg

After

Clean6.jpg

ARB Mounts

Clean7.jpg

Clean8.jpg

Still a lot of cleaning to do and the rear suspension will be dropped out this weekend with Busters help.

That's all folks ..............................

Evening all,

Well after the deluge of requests that you have inundated me with to keep you all updated

Which is to date is none :lol:

I thought stuff it I'll post some more pics anyway.

I did at page 5 ^^^ :surrender: and still reading and watching with interest :thumbs:

Hats off to you with the progress and a full-time job to otherwise keep you busy :notworthy:

Wasso -

Yer this is the way to go for weight loss I can pick my Zed up like a whel barrow at the moment :lol::thumbs:

Ebized -

I know mate :thumbs: just trying to think of something original to say at the start of a post, the last two were "quickies" the views count is going up so someone's reading it :thumbs:

I have to keep posting anyway as, when I put her back together I'm going to read this thread backwards :lol:

Watch this space :D

I'm back :)

Sorry for the lack of updates this week folks been doing the same thing most evenings - cleaning, degreasing, sanding more cleaning - you get the idea.

So after completing the strip out of the front end I was left with a dirty engine bay and a few patches of rust. Nothing to bad but a few patches of surface rust here and there ....

Aclean1.jpg

Aclean2.jpg

Aclean3.jpg

Aclean4.jpg

Masked her up so no nasty stuff got on the nice bits

Aclean5.jpg

Aclean6.jpg

Started the clean up

Aclean7.jpg

Aclean8.jpg

Aclean9.jpg

Aclean10.jpg

Aclean11.jpg

Aclean12.jpg

Aclean13.jpg

OK sorry bit of a jump now I neglected to take any photos between the clean up above and the next stage.

I cleaned up and treated any rust cleaned all the panels and then gave all the front a coat of primer.

I'll put the pics up first.....

Aclean14.jpg

Aclean15.jpg

Aclean16.jpg

Aclean17.jpg

Aclean18.jpg

Aclean19.jpg

Aclean20.jpg

Aclean21.jpg

Aclean22.jpg

I think it came out OK.

Possibly not the best shape to remember how to spray again with, I haven't picked up a spray gun in the best part of 20 years and I had to get under wings around brackets etc.

It comes back quite quickly and it was great fun (that may just have been my mask leaking that made me laugh while working ).

I'm happy with it so far, fingers crossed I won't have any reaction with the paint will find out in the morning.

Ordered a few more bits this week :ninja: Jez and Tarmac know what I mean :thumbs:

Been saving the rear suspension for Buster who is due to drop by tomorrow afternoon.

That's all folks ....................

Are you going to apply something like dynax s50 or was that a zinc rich primer?

If I'm honest I'm so out of touch with modern paints I had to take advice from the supplier :blush:

The primer used is UPF (poly) primer I didnt sand back to bare metal and the rust patches were treated with Jenolite before before priming.

I do have some etch primer for the bare metal parts.

Top coat will be in poly and its basically commercial vehicle paint. The supplier recons it will be hard wearing and handle the heat well.

Some of it will get a coat of under seal as well.