Project Zee Business - Update 25th July

Keyser

Are you going to apply something like dynax s50 or was that a zinc rich primer?

If I'm honest I'm so out of touch with modern paints I had to take advice from the supplier :blush:

The primer used is UPF (poly) primer I didnt sand back to bare metal and the rust patches were treated with Jenolite before before priming.

I do have some etch primer for the bare metal parts.

Top coat will be in poly and its basically commercial vehicle paint. The supplier recons it will be hard wearing and handle the heat well.

Some of it will get a coat of under seal as well.

Whilst you are there you might aswell have done it. Mine is slightly rusty but nothing some vactan/jenolite wouldnt fix. Dynax s50 is a cavity wax. When you say underseal do you mean waxoil?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst you are there you might aswell have done it. Mine is slightly rusty but nothing some vactan/jenolite wouldnt fix. Dynax s50 is a cavity wax. When you say underseal do you mean waxoil?

I actually meant the black sticky tar like stuff but I was thnking of doing the inner panels with waxoil when I've finished the refurb :thumbs:

I actually meant the black sticky tar like stuff but I was thnking of doing the inner panels with waxoil when I've finished the refurb :thumbs:

Thats stuff is ment to be pretty rubbish. All the cool guys use POR15 or BH Dynax UB or dynax s50. :thumbs:

Well what a day!

Buster came over around midday and we started to take the rear suspension of.

We found a slight problem with one of the rear shock absorbers,

RS1.jpg

RS2.jpg

What got Buster was he is going to put them on the Ginger Ninja he wasn't a happy camper..

RS3.jpg

Buster got quote of the day in today well more stupid conversation but we laughed -

We removed the broken shock absorber

Buster - "That's a shock"

Keyser - "Yes Bob"

Buster - "No That's a shock"

Keyser - "I know what it is"

Buster - " O, No meant it was a shock to find it is broken"

Keyser - "No pun intended?"

Buster - "Ha I'm a comedian and I don't even know it"

Maybe you had to be there? :shrug:

Anyway I then had a shock (pun intended) when we looked at my new springs against the old ones

RS4.jpg

It's low enough already!!! Hope they are OK.

So then .......

RS5.jpg

Karatechimp shows up to assist in the heave lifting - rear sub-frame removal after we had fun with the exhaust which we took out with mid-pipes as the bolts are just rust

RS9.jpg

We set about the big bits - I went and made a coffee they broke my car ...........

RS6.jpg

Yes that is a rear hanger bolt - yes it is part of the body shell - and yes it has sheared of :bang:

I have already contacted ZMANALEX who has a shell that I may need a section of the box frame out of, However as it has snapped below the wide point which is the bit that actually takes all the pressure, I am going to attempt a repair. (Thanks for the idea Alex :thumbs:)

The idea is to cut the existing stump back to the thread line and weld a suitable sized bolt onto the remaining piece, if this works then I don't have to replace a piece of the box section if it doesn't I do.

Will let you all know how that goes soon.

So anyway other than that the sub-frame is out

RS7.jpg

along with the other bits from under the car

RS8.jpg

And she now looks like this

RS10.jpg

Stay tuned for the next exciting? episode in project Zee business.

Remember boys and girls all the stunts we pull are done by un-professional and un-trained Zed enthusiasts, with no experience in this field!

"Don't try this at home"

That's all folks ........................

If you fancy a laugh each don a pair of springs, attach to feet and bounce around! (don't hold me responsible for broken ankles though)

Looking good, you REALLY are going to town on this build. Keep it going :#1:

Did you stick those zip ties on the suspension or where they sitting there already? :scare:

:lol::lol: only added to aid carrying home . :teeth: makes a change seeing how many zip ties help hold the car together :lol::lol:

you gonna use e'm? :scare:

yep.....as soon as there cleaned up....cant see any reason not to...thanks chris :thumbs:

More pics :)

New bits today

RC1.jpg

RC2.jpg

I thought I'd take this apart tonight

RC3.jpg

Hell of a job getting the bolts loose!!!

RC4.jpg

RC5.jpg

Stripped ready for cleaning -

RC6.jpg

and after a first clean with some other bits I did

RC8.jpg

More soon

That's all folks .......................

You better recon them? And do a bit of welding! Ha ha

Superglue and zipties :thumbs:

:lol:

Taking to a local welder see what he can do :)

top stuff my friend.....will see you tomorrow evening as usual. :thumbs:

so want to fit it to the ginger ninja.

Aha SuperBro bushes, very nice :thumbs:

Considering life started as just a normal Zed owner, did you ever believe you were on your second Zed and going way beyond normal ownership. This is getting to be one hell of a build!

Your tool draws are covered in amd phenom and athlon sticker :lol:

Keyser a big nerd at heart?

Well spotted mate

That tool box came out of my other workshop - The IT one!

I hope I'm a nerd its my day job :lol::thumbs:

Sam - May as well do it all while its apart ;)

It's just sort of snowballed into a complete rebuild - may be a bit later than planned back on the road but it's going OK so far - only 1 major headache and thats the stud that snapped but I'll find a solution one way or another.

Added a few more things to the list of work this week :scare:

I'll keep the updates coming and hopefully be able to

a. Put her back together

b. Get her started if I do

Aha SuperBro bushes, very nice :thumbs:

Considering life started as just a normal Zed owner, did you ever believe you were on your second Zed and going way beyond normal ownership. This is getting to be one hell of a build!

I missed this ;)

I do need some new bushes as a couple have split - and the SuperPro are supposed to be good - they don't do the rear sub frame so that's what the Whiteline's are for.

Normal - No never been accused of being normal - but this has gone from an engine swap with a few supporting mods to a complete overhaul.

You can blame the extras on NeilP and Andlid :lol

Having said that it's just there is no point putting the engine back in when the surface rust can be treated so easily and would bug me if left it.

I was putting new suspension in anyway so may as well clean, paint and service all the bits while I'm at it.

Biggest thing is time and as she's not my DD and I wouldn't use her on the road in winter anyway - I have plenty of that! I have to say I quite enjoy it.

I can relax when I'm working it's not like it matters if I finish any particular piece in any particular time scale, it's rewarding to see the engine bay looking so nice and the other bits clean up.

I am lucky in that I have a fairly well equipped workshop complete with compressor to play in :thumbs:

I did look at all the parts the other day and think ....... Can I actually remember where all this goes :scare: we shall see :)

Wait till you see what's turning up this week :lol:

If you've been following the strip out you may remember that Buster and Karatechimp broke my car :angry::rant::bang:

I will admit I knew it was going to break I just got them to confirm it so I could pass the buck. :blush::lol:

Anyway it left me with a broken (sheared) rear sub frame mounting pin/bolt which is welded into the car during assembly making it a pain to repair/replace.

I originally considered getting a replacement section from a breakers yard and welding that in but that meant cutting into the box section of the car!

Buster and I did try cutting a new thread into the remaining bolt but it was just to short to be a good safe fix.

Zmanalex made the (now) obvious suggestion that I weld the broken piece back on, although this was a no go as the snapped bit was too short, rusty and bent to be used, however it did point me in the direction for the next attempt at a fix I decided on.

So while out and about today I picked up an M14 bolt from a local supplier cut the head of it and ground a step in the top to allow a good weld pool.

SFR1.jpg

SFR2.jpg

I then cut the broken stud down and prepared that with a similar grove -

SFR3.jpg

SFR4.jpg

My daughter held the new piece in place and I tack welded them together.

Confirmed correct alignment and then welded it together properly. I cleaned of any excess weld and gave it a quick sand down.

The end result was -

SFR5.jpg

SFR6.jpg

SFR7.jpg

The next pics are for Buster who was worried about welding a new bit in and keeping it square to the car

Front to rear alignment

SFR8.jpg

Left to right alignment

SFR9.jpg

:p

lastly with the bush insert (the washers are to pack it to it's true location as there is a cross member that sits below the bush.)

SFR10.jpg

I am in all honesty well chuffed with the result. :dance:

That's all folks ...................

:dummy: what does the other side look like? :teeth:

great effort, if it's any good or not I'm not able to tell! Good photos :lol:

Is it any good? Its great what you mean you can't tell!

Thats it your of my Christmas card list :rant:

If you had ever seen one :p you would know it is supposed to look like that I'll get you a pic of the other side tomorrow just to keep ya happy :thumbs: