BMW X5 4.4L V8

Tarmac@TarmacSportz

Has anyone on here had or know anyone with experience with them ?

I know they are a tad thirsty, although similar mpg to the 3.0i from what i've read , and servicing (well its a beamer).

I need something to tide me over till next summer and my original plans have altered slightly or shall we say been postponed.. Plus I need to cross a true 4x4 and a V8 off the list.

Like I say its not a very long term option but I need something practical in terms of size for a little while.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Any thought ???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have done loads of auto boxes in these. The engine is strong but they do use alot of fuel :surrender: All heavy 4x4's get some suspension problems over time so get it on a lift before you buy it. Arrange an inspection at a garage local to the seller and I am sure he or she will be ok with it.

For the money mate it looks ok :thumbs:

What about a Range Rover Evoque :thumbs:B)

If yo can get an evoque for 7k I'll take them all. ;)

The X5 is alright in the snow as long as you put on decent tyres. They come with total road biased tyres which are rubbish.

If you like them then it's a good buy but a 3.0D is a better prospect as I think the 4.4 V8 will just be more difficult to sell as time goes on.

As Stew said if it has decent tyres it will be fine in the snow mate. We look after loads of them :thumbs: A customer with a top of the range TDV8 RR Sportis going back to an X5 to save some cash so they can't be all bad :thumbs: At around £7k your not going to lose too mush when you sell it too :thumbs:

There are quite a lot of 4x4 garages up this neck of the woods. :)

There's quite a lot serving the Chelsea area too :doh::lol:

That wouldnt surprise me. Im looking at getting a set of extra wheels so I can have winter tyres fitted on them, and there are loads of sets of wheels available on ebay for the right money. Most however are buyer collect, from Cheshire. :dry:

As Stew said if it has decent tyres it will be fine in the snow mate. We look after loads of them :thumbs: A customer with a top of the range TDV8 RR Sportis going back to an X5 to save some cash so they can't be all bad :thumbs: At around £7k your not going to lose too mush when you sell it too :thumbs:

Cheers for the info Lee buddy, much appreciated..

I have only done 18000 miles in just over 3 years in my Zed so MPG is really not something I worry about.

It's not something I will be keeping long term anyway so I don't think it will depreciate rapidly. I just need something spacious for a wee while.

It's got to be better than my zed was in the snow last year :blush:

When I say true 4x4 I meant other than my old Impreza, I won't be going up mountains or owt so not fussed about it's off road capabilities that much.

I think they look awesome tbh :blush: marmite is nice too

80% down to tyres and a modicum of driving style. Why do you want to lug all that weight around anyway, plenty of more practical machinery around.

What's wrong with you lot??!! The man is asking for reasons to buy a stinking great V8 and you're telling him to buy a diesel?! Hand your Man Cards in on your way out, tut tut. ;)

Do it. X5s are comfy, full of toys and have a monster engine in the V8. If you like the look then there's no reason not to. :thumbs:

I know 2 people who bought early 2000 and something X5s and they've been a money pit nightmare. They are now both in so deep they may as well burn them. Plus, even with winter tyres on they are crap in the snow as the tyres are so bloody wide. Range rovers/discos rot. Land rovers are way over priced. If you must have a '4x4' I'd suggest a landcruiser colorado maybe? Boring but reliable and don't rot.

I'm looking for a winter hack and am considering a quattro having given up on expensive land rovers. Just my opinion :)