BMW X5 4.4L V8

Tarmac@TarmacSportz

We are talking about a 7k vehicle though.

I can see people losing out when spendind 30,40,50k but we are talking about a 7k vehicle that will do about 6k miles a year.

You can soon rack up thousands in parts and labour when they start going wrong .... and they do go wrong! If you're in a possition to do all the work yourself and have all the diagnostic equipment needed then maybe not so bad. Obviously (hopefully!) they're not all going to be bad news but all the ones I know of have been. My 3 series even started becoming a liability.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go for it. Im looking for the same car for my mum. I dont really like the diesel as if the turbo goes it money to put right plus they are more expensive in the first place. They dont drive like big cars feels much similar to an e39 which is a good thing. sometimes the torque convetor/gearbox can go but its just luck more than everything. Make sure it sounds like a v8 should and check all electronics. Dont be fooled by FBMW history IMO on a 7k car its pretty usless, stamps are easy to get and so on. One mainted by a good indie would be worth more in my eyes.

the engine is strong bmw have been using it for years and will keep using it so you should be ok parts wise. Tyres are expensive but its a big car so it goes with it. There is a load of 4.4 lpg converted ones aswell so it could be good for you.

I have a mate selling one of these and it's been a great car it's well cheaper than what you have looked at in Autotrader if your interested I can get you his phone number he's not advertised it because he's not fussed about selling it but if somebody came along after it he would let it go PM me if you want more details :)

Doesnt seem too bad for a 7k car, they are certainly getting more affordable. Should be fine for what you are wanting it for. They are okay in the snow and around town, but not serious off-road. I was doing some work at Rockingham Motorspeedway a few years back and they had the BMW driving experience school there, which had these X5`s on a small off-road course. It wasnt a challanging course by any stretch of the imagination, but the X5`s kept getting stuck and they had to use a 50 year old land rover to pull them out.

Personally I quite like them, its just the servicing and running costs which put me off, but then I do mega miles each year.

How about a Range Rover Sport? You can get a them for 15k upwards depending on mileage.

I have a mate selling one of these and it's been a great car it's well cheaper than what you have looked at in Autotrader if your interested I can get you his phone number he's not advertised it because he's not fussed about selling it but if somebody came along after it he would let it go PM me if you want more details :)

Thanks bud, I will bear it in mind.. Ideally looking for a quick transaction so this one is ideal with a p/x on mine and local.

How about a Range Rover Sport? You can get a them for 15k upwards depending on mileage.

Not looking to spend any extra cash then 7k as its just a stop gap, Hopefully i've got a project I will be working on for a little while and the car I want won't look good pulling a trailer on occassions.

Everyone we have taken in part ex, petrol and diesel, hasnt worn very well IMO

Loads of smaller issues, and wear issues too like, stuffy steering wheels and shifters, which is unusual for German cars. I jut don't think they take a family battering very well compared to other vehicles like this, but if its had an easy life......

I would not be for me, but the ad does look good if that what you want :shrug:

PS Dont forget this is a big lumpy Petrol car - Not the easiest thing to move on at any price, if it doesn't work out for you :scare:

Seems like BMW means:

Be

Motherf***in

Warned

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funnily enough thats the opinion my mate has of them now. I was speaking to him at the weekend as I hadnt seen him for about 18months. He had a brand spanking new BMW M-Spec 320d when I last saw him. Fully loaded nearly and it came in at over 36k from what I remember. Had everything on it, all voice controlled, big wheels, leather, dvd player etc etc.. and I was very jealous at the time.

Turns out he had it for about 18months, not much longer and when he sold it, he got £12k for it! Thats a hell of a depreciation on it. I didnt feel quite so jealous at that point. :lol:

In fact I had the last laugh, as when he saw my zed he was seriously jealous. Apparently he`s wanted one for years but his wife wouldnt let him get one!!! :lol:

Seems like BMW means:

Be

Motherf***in

Warned

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had my M3 for over a year now and so far it has only cost my £180 for an ignition coil (which was only changed as a matter of caution anyway). They are good relaible cars but the cost if things go wrong will be higher.

I have had my M3 for over a year now and so far it has only cost my £180 for an ignition coil (which was only changed as a matter of caution anyway). They are good relaible cars but the cost if things go wrong will be higher.

Was that from new?

No I bought it 2 years old and it had never had any repairs previous (that I am aware of anyway).

Im really not having much look with the X5... Been to see four now in my price range and as EH350z warned they are all dogs... They really don't age well at all...

I have to say im still smitten with the Cayenne... even though Lee has put me off :thumbdown: They just seem so much better looked after.. Im not completely put off and may look into warranty deals and see what cover I can get...

Saw this today, quite liked it to be honest. Well looked after but not as good looking or has the power of the X5... May do short term though.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ogcode=dsp

Im really not having much look with the X5... Been to see four now in my price range and as EH350z warned they are all dogs... They really don't age well at all...

I have to say im still smitten with the Cayenne... even though Lee has put me off :thumbdown: They just seem so much better looked after.. Im not completely put off and may look into warranty deals and see what cover I can get...

Saw this today, quite liked it to be honest. Well looked after but not as good looking or has the power of the X5... May do short term though.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ogcode=dsp

Why have you gone from a v8 x5, to an x3?

Maybe worth just a look?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Why have you gone from a v8 x5, to an x3?

Maybe worth just a look?

Because, i'm struggling to find a half decent unabused X5 and I need something quick and this X3 is local to me and looked quite nice in the flesh...

I'm not really focused/excited about what I buy as its not going to be something for the long haul, probably 6 months or so.. I don't like the Jeeps though, don't ask why they just don't seem to appeal to me..

Because, i'm struggling to find a half decent unabused X5 and I need something quick and this X3 is local to me and looked quite nice in the flesh...

I'm not really focused/excited about what I buy as its not going to be something for the long haul, probably 6 months or so.. I don't like the Jeeps though, don't ask why they just don't seem to appeal to me..

Sorry, I mean, why do you want an X5/X3? If it's just for carrying surely wouldn't something like an estate/mpv offer the same capability?

Personally I don't see the point of either the X5/X3. They don't appear to be able to offroad and they don't seem to offer anything an estate doesn't.