M25 speed cameras...

waltzinblack

So just a quick question.. coming up to a queue, I was approaching one of those new gantry mounted variable speed cameras. They are fairly new on that bit (near the Amersham junction), and its only been a month or two since it was still average speed 50mph zone there. Now, I've heard that unless the cameras are displaying a speed.. they can't catch you.. is this correct?

That's besides the point though, when we approached this particular gantry it was WHITE FLASHING DOTS and saying 50. No one went through it at 50, and neither did I - I would call braking from 70-50 in the middle lane dangerous if all the cars around you are maintaining their 65/70 ish speed. So if the lights are just flashing, does it mean I've been caught? They were like the picture below, except it wasn't just a sign it had a speed camera sign next to it and was one of the new gantry mounted camera thingys:

motorway4244.jpg

I was under the impression that you would only get caught if they were displaying a speed with a red ring around it, like this:

Variable_speed_limit.jpg

which the ones in question were NOT.

Hahah.. good I'm glad to hear all this. So does anyone know about what happens if they are turned off, i.e. no speed limit displayed?

You see the odd person FLY through them... and I always wonder if they get caught. Some people say if they are not displaying a speed then they don't catch you at all.. some people say they wont catch you unless you are doing over 85, and some say they are still set to 70...

:surrender:

Not that I want to go through them at any faster than 70 of course.. I always just wonder about these other people that seem to go flying through!

Definitely advisory but be careful when you encounter as the next variable speed limit will almost certainly be set for the same and when you see them it can be a bit late to drop rapidly from 70 to 40 in the outside lane.

I've lived with the M25 and M1 for 18 months now, still not a fan. M3 is awesome mind, just a lot of unmarked patrols but no evvvvvvil cameras, road works and the small 50 coming off from the M25 excepted.

You see the odd person FLY through them... and I always wonder if they get caught.

I tend not too worry about other people getting caught speeding ;) but yes, they run the risk of getting caught, they must think its worth it :shrug: TBH, in my limited experience of these compulsory speed signs on Motorways, you'd be lucky to reach the limit, by the time they switch them on the traffic is down to crawling pace :lol:

Pete

To note the camera on the gantry can be activated at ANY time even if the are not warning you of the advised speed limit. Quite a few years ago I was heading anti clockwise heading towards the A3 turn off. The back then last camera before open roads. I was heading at 95mph when the darn camera took a photo of me. I recorded a speed of 89mph. It turns out that whilst they are watching via their CCTV if they see someone trying to get a lap record they will turn the camera on.

So be warned!

To note the camera on the gantry can be activated at ANY time even if the are not warning you of the advised speed limit. Quite a few years ago I was heading anti clockwise heading towards the A3 turn off. The back then last camera before open roads. I was heading at 95mph when the darn camera took a photo of me. I recorded a speed of 89mph. It turns out that whilst they are watching via their CCTV if they see someone trying to get a lap record they will turn the camera on.

So be warned!

Can they actually amend the speed limit cameras automatically to reflect a change in the motorway speed now?

I was always under the impression the cameras had to be altered physically, hence none of the cameras would ever catch you when the speed limit reduced to 50 or 40 (unless you were driving through the variable speed limit areas).

Done a fair bit of M25 driving and never had a problem.

Always have the thought in the back of my mind that one day they will activate the cameras to boost their coffers - and with some gantrys every 1/4 of a mile or so apart not only a hefty fine but a ban to boot :scare:

But then it is that 'fear' that means the majority of motorists self lmoderate their speeds to 'sensible' levels and unless you are a complete dick with speeds it should not be something to worry about.........................I hope :surrender:

When my car was snapped by the unfriendly camera it was 9:30pm. They must watch you going round and strangely as it was the last camera bet they thought "best get him".

Like I say there were no warning speeds on any of the gantries. Let's just say I learnt my lesson.

I was also the gantry cameras are set at just under 100, so maybe its 95.

Never had a problem myself (probably a foolish thing to say admittedly).

Generally gone through them at anything between 70 to 'slightly above 70' and never had a problem. 10 to 16 is heavily covered, but I've done that route many many times.

Well.. hopefully the government will do what they did in Oxfordshire(?) and realise they are too expensive to run and just turn them off!

I will always stick by my belief that it is FAR more dangerous to have everyone just drifting along at 70 with their cruise control on. It severely reduces the sense of speed and danger... and awareness of a lot of drivers. It's so monotonous.

I KNOW I'm personally a worse driver in that situation.

Well.. hopefully the government will do what they did in Oxfordshire(?) and realise they are too expensive to run and just turn them off!

Back on now. Funded by the police themselves. Lots of stats doing the rounds about so many thousands of motorists getting caught compared to this time last year, so looks like people are prepared to take the risk thinking they are still off.

Of course no mention of any changes in accident rates, funny that. :dry:

:rant:

They **** me off too...just another tax on the motorist and all designed to catch you out. You set your cruise control and the next gantry the speed limit changes and you end up hitting the anchors at the last second to scrub of the mph. Just a nightmare.

If the gantry has a camera mounted rear facing to the posted speed limit electronic display you will also notice lines incrementally laid out on the road behind the gantry if you are above the posted limit you will be snapped but think the rules regarding this are 10% and above the limit for prosecution....they are the most incideous form of law enforcement sold under the premice of road safety. I feel your anxiety.

not like the old days when you used to get chased by a Jam sandwich..... at least there was a little sport attached to it

:doh:

Just can't get used to cruise control. Just don't like it. Last 4 or 5 cars have had it and I've still never used it.

I somewhat agree, the only time I have found cruise control useful is when you hit those average speed cameras, I'll wack it at 50 and it gives me peace of mind. Otherwise it's not that useful, in real world situations it's a pain because you have to pull out and other cars pull out on you. It might be useful on a quiet road at night but then without the input into driving the car you might nod off.

They **** me off too...just another tax on the motorist and all designed to catch you out. You set your cruise control and the next gantry the speed limit changes and you end up hitting the anchors at the last second to scrub of the mph. Just a nightmare.

Or (and this is a bit of a wild idea, I know) you could actually look a little further ahead when you're driving instead of just staring at the end of your bonnet? The signs are fairly big and pretty easy to spot, so I'm not sure why you'd be slamming the brakes on at the last minute.

If people didn't speed there would be no need for speed cameras. I'm not sure how much simpler it needs to be. :shrug:

Speeding is like a flat rate interest to keep everybody happy. I want a variable one...according to road conditions/vehicle/driver etc....then I can use my cruise control more often....like when in Germany or Greece...set at 120 and singing Chris brown :cloud9:

Speeding is like a flat rate interest to keep everybody happy. I want a variable one...according to road conditions/vehicle/driver etc....then I can use my cruise control more often....like when in Germany or Greece...set at 120 and singing Chris brown :cloud9:

lmao you're mental mate :thumbs:

We need video's of this :lol: